PC amp sims that rivals axefx/kemper?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Owned? I have not. I have played with one for a month while my buddy was away. I wasn't a massive lover of it. I felt like I could get a round about same tone with Bias and the Axe. However, I am more of a fan with Kazrog's tones these days, far less work for a better tone.

The Axe is great by all means, but I can't justify the price to what I can get for far less.

2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I've only owned one full time for 3 months and I'm barely scratching the surface of it.

Like I LOVE Bias for just slap it on and get a good tone, and most plugins are getting to this point.

You can certainly get close when you do it as a chuck it on and spend a bit of time sculpting. I just find the AxeFX significantly closer to the real thing in dynamics and feel.

For 99% of people though, the difference is both negligible and irrelevant to what they do.

3. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

I am!:metal:

4. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

As an owner of an AxeFx I WISH there was a software based solution that performed at that level. I would go full laptop for both amplified and recorded tones if there were. I probably own every major plugin except the UAD ones, including every one mentioned here, and if you are really accustomed to the power and quality of that unit nothing is really fully comparable.

I plan to buy Helix Native though. I have high hopes for it.

That said, you CAN get KILLER recorded tones with plugins. Faves, roughly in order:
    TH3, Thermionik, TSE (5150), Amplitube (Mesa Mark and Recto), S-Gear (Fender/Cleans only).

I went Fractal when there was nothing even in the ball park. If all I had were clips to go on today, I might have just gotten one of these plugs and called it a day for modelers... but with Axe, the feel, all the nuances of the amp behavior, input dynamics, power amp response and feel, it's ALL there and that is tough to set aside once you are used to it. Same reason folks are hesitant to go digital after playing traditional amplifiers and cabs for a long time. I even use a Fractal unit as my main amplified rig.

5. niffnoff

There are hints on the fractal forum they are planning on a FAS-Amp

Despite the hardware owners groaning of piracy....

6. Akhenat0n

Akhenat0n SS.org Regular

Well, isn't the AxeFx already something software based, just built in a hardware package? I mean, I don't want to sound rude or underestimate it....I use an HD500 myself, but let's be honest, all of those are pretty much software based stuff, all I wanna say is that everything presented could easily be used through our computers themselves. Have I been missing something? Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

They have been working on the axe-fx plug in for years, main problem is it used way too much CPU power.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The Axe-FX (and other modelers) run on a Digital Signal Processor (DSP). Plugins on a computer run on a General Purpose Microprocessor. TOTALLY different code set. The hardware between the two works completely differently. It is not as simple as copying the code over to a PC and hitting run..... The entire code has to be re-written, or some sort of emulation software would have to be used.

9. Akhenat0n

Akhenat0n SS.org Regular

Tnx for the explanation! :)

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

An AxeFX through a Carvin poweramp and a Mesa 2x12 was the first time a modeler ever bowled me over with its realistic response, on a slightly gritty clean tone, no less. Like, if blindfolded, I wouldn't have been wondering if it was a tube amp or a modeler, I would have been wondering WTF I was plugged into, because I wanted one.

To be fair, Cliff himself was spinning the knobs on the thing, showing off the latest firmware, but it was VERY good.

11. niffnoff

So I've heard, the last update I'd seen of it was in the Fractal forums where one of the guys said, and I quote, "soon" when asked if it was ever gonna happen. That was somewhere in September 2016.