PC amp sims that rivals axefx/kemper?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. AmpAnon

AmpAnon SS.org Regular

About to check out Ignite - Emissary. Do I need to load some IR files in a cabinet emulation plugin? (have LePou leCab)

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I recommend Rosen Digital Pulse IR-loader, simple and easy to use. Light on cpu if you got lots of plugins running. LeCab is kind of outdated.

http://www.rosendigitalaudio.com/pulse/

And free OwnHammer Mesa ir's. "Quick start" or "mixes" folders have pre-mixed mic combinations to choose, most usable tones for less time and tweaking.

http://www.ownhammer.com/free/v4-demo/

3. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Helix when it comes out in the Spring. Right now nothing.

4. Akhenat0n

Akhenat0n SS.org Regular

Line6 should├čve considered releasing something like that for the POD HD series as well imo.

5. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

After using Fractal/Kemper products for recording the past few years and selling my AX8 recently, I've been able to get tones that are at least right on par with what I was getting with the hardware sims. As stated above, the feel is definitely not there, but when it comes to mixing, I've been able to get my guitar tracks to sit way better and WAY faster than I was ever able to with the Fractal stuff.

I will say though, I am using cab-lab and a lot of the same IR's to bypass the generic stock ones with the amp sims I use--TSE X50, Toneforge Jason Richardson, LePou, etc

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I have an AxeFx II and I end up using TSE X50 more than my AxeFx... should probably sell it. I'll second the JST Jason Richardson amp sim.

7. AmpAnon

AmpAnon SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for these resources man!

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Considering it's free, the LePou stuff is really quite good when paired with a good cab IR. It doesn't have nearly the flexibility of the Axe of Kemper, but I was surprised just how close to my normal Roadster lead sound I was able to get with their Lecto plugin and just the Reaper ReaDelay. To be fair I was running into the DI input of an Apogee, so conversion on the way in wasn't an issue.

And, you're never going to get any kind of a modeler through studio monitors to sound like an amp. It's just a matter of airspace - you're comparing four 12" speakers in a large cabinet to an 8" bass driver and a smaller, maybe 1.5" treble in a much smaller airspace. You can get a modeler to sound convincingly like a good recording of an amp played back through a monitor, but it's not really the same thing and in that point, it's less the monitor making the amp "come alive," as much as just wanting a monitor with a flat, accurate response, in general.

9. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Scuffham, Kazrog, Overloud, maybe with IR loader, freeware NadIR with impulses from Kalthallen.

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

I would definitely recommend EZMIX, especially the Metal Guitar Gods 1-4, Metal Amps, and Metal Essentials packs. They aren't great for tweaking or FX, but as presets they are solid, especially for high gain.

I also liked the Toneforge demos I've seen online, but I don't own them so I can't give an actual recommendation.

I have IK Multimedia and I like it better overall, especially for tweaking and FXs, but it takes up a LOT of RAM... and it isn't quite as good for high gain only applications IMO.

11. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I concur with this as well. The lecto head is pretty damn good. What's even better is these amp sims are available in 64bit versions. Seems like most DAWs will eventually phase out 32bit plugins (Steinberg just did with Cubase).

I wish that LePou would create a 64bit version of LeCab though. That was my favorite IR loader. Went and got mixIR, and while that's good, I still miss LeCab. NadIR is weak.:lol:

12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I'm a windows user and own an axe II and Bias stuff, Bias sounds like podfarm did 10 years ago.
    I saw a demo of the Mercuriall stuff by Ola Englund today and it sounded damn good. (For once he did a video without processing)

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The biggest problem, TBH, isn't the quality of the sound, it's latency and the "feel" while playing. I haven't really spent much time trying to tweak Reaper to get latency on live monitoring down (and I've got it set more for mixing than live tracking at the moment), but there's definitely a barely perceptible lag on playback that makes it feel nothing at all like plugging into my amp, yet if I play something and listen back, it sounds like a pretty good recorded tone.

I don't think I'd recommend the LePou stuff as an amp replacement for all around playing, but I'd have no problems recording with the Recto or Ecstasy models.

14. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

TH3 all the way. Great sounds, very versatile. BIAS is .... to my ears, and a big boatload of regret buying it. Would sell it/give it away if I could. Really not sure how it caught on as heavily as it has, especially with it's head. 1k+ for hardware running ....ty sounding software is a big ol' pass for me. Though it is your best bet for mobile, I wouldn't waste the money for your recording rig.

15. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

My 2 cents:

Therminonik. Nothing beats it imo, the more I play with it, the more I find myself finding tones with any of the hi-gain stuff. The cleans are also beautiful. Just alot of manual reading to see what he does with the stuff.

The next best thing for me would be Bias, I fell out with it a year ago, but now I find myself finding some decent amps and fx set ups.

Next to an axe? I think Therminonik and Bias can beat it.

Next to a kemper? Never had the pleasure of playing or hearing one in person. But, I'd wager it may be able to be better.

16. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

After using Revalver, TSE x50, Amplitube, Lepou stuff, EZmix, Ignite, etc for the past few years I caved and bought an Axe FX last year.

In my opinion the Axe is miles ahead of those plugins, but that doesn't you cant get good or comparable tones out them. I personally enjoy the TSE x50 the most, EZmix has some surprisingly great tones as well.

I'll caveat saying that I havent tried the TH3 or Thermionik sims, but everyone here seems to love them.

17. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I'd be interested to know if you've actually owned an Axe? Bias DEFINITELY falls short. It's certainly quicker and easier to get a processed usable sound for a mix, but I don't think it captures the sag and low end response of amps nearly as well.

18. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Agreed. Having owned an AxeII, I think Bias is total crap, especially for what it costs. As an app it was awesome at $6 or whatever it was, but not for what it costs as a plugin. The free stuff from LePou and Ignite has always sounded and felt better to me.

The new Spark is awesome, and I dig Amplitube Mesa Boogie as well. Spark has really captured the feel thing, if not a buttload of tones. It's on sale for $99 and IMO well worth it; it's the closest in feel to the Axe that I've found in a plugin so far.

19. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I am using LeCab in Cubase 9, maybe you are referring to Windows version?

20. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Also my two cents from this thread, after trying several of the suggested combos from this thread I've landed on Ignite Emissary through lepou cab sim with ownhammer mesa IR SM57, its a beastly combo! I'll post some clips if anyone is interested.