Paul Gilbert’s Guitars for Sale

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by USMarine75, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

We spent I think close to 10k for ACL repairs in our pup. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, pets are family. Personally speaking, I’d do it in a heartbeat if it meant a better quality life for the pet.

Bodes, aesthyrian and technomancer like this.
  2. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Me and the woman are about 15k deep this year alone on our Dane, and still don’t have an answer. You do what you gotta do.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that, hope they figure out what's wrong and can get the pup sorted. Danes are such sweet dogs

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Im sorry, I didn’t want to sound insensitive, I guess vet costs in the US are very high.

5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I think vets are expensive everywhere but in the US more so (as everything medical related). I don't know if there's medical insurance for pets, as there is for humans and how much it actually covers for animal care but my impression is that if your pet gets seriously sick you're on your own.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, it's not nearly as expensive as human medical procedures, but you're pretty much out of pocket on everything. Just about all insurance products sold for pets are worthless as far as being illness related, they focus more on acute injuries.

Edika likes this.
  7. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Yea he’s a sweet boy, just gettin old basically. It’s more that my girl can’t let it go, she’s never lost anyone/anything meaningful in life yet. Pets have came and went in the past for her for sure, but not “her own”.

He’s actually doing pretty good for his age, he just moans a lot when laying down but has super high protein levels and a few other things that make us think we can get around this somehow and give him a few more years.

I appreciate the sentiment of course, it’s always tough.

8. technomancer

That's rough :( Weighing quality of life and deciding when to let go isn't easy with stuff that isn't drastic.

9. stevehollx

stevehollx SS.org Regular

Man I thought ‘dog’ was referring to PG, and that PG himself needed heart surgery and my heart sunk.

Bummer PG’s dog is sick and hope doggo pulls through. Whatever makes him feel good about the situations. Awesome dude, but thankful PG isn’t sick.

As someone that didn’t grow up with pets, I am HORRIBLY unready for when my dog is sick or no longer at our side. Honestly would have rather donated than see him put his instruments up.

10. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

I would agree with spending that kind of money on your own pet

I do not agree with asking other people to pay that kind of money for your own pet, because that kind of money and resources could save lives used elsewhere

Imagine being broke and dying from hunger or illness and watching 12k being donated on gofundme by strangers to a dog they've never seen before... such is life

11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

+1000%. Wouldn't think twice about dropping that much on my dogs. Also a reason why they both have great insurance.

technomancer likes this.
  12. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Hey so how about those Paul Gilbert guitar, eh?

13. rikwebb

rikwebb SS.org Regular

I love that Icestroyer shape

14. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

We had to spend $1600 on our cat's teeth earlier this year so that he wouldn't be in constant pain (his gums were basically having an allergic reaction to the enamel on his teeth). And that's fairly cheap as far as vet bills go.

The Icestroyer would be the sickest PG signature ever, be it the single hum black one as listed or the pink one. We will probably never see it, but I would to get one some day. Just not for $25k...

USMarine75 and technomancer like this.
  15. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

And no one on here is a veterinarian?

16. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

There's a variety of considerations when it comes to getting health coverage for a pet. With dogs, if you sign up when they're 8 - 12 weeks old, just about everything is covered. We signed up with our dog when he was 10 weeks and I pay $80/mo for it. I also reviewed every detail of the policy over the phone with the insurance provider and know exactly what is and isn't covered. Essentially with ours, we pay the exam fee + $200 deductible, and they cover the rest for any emergency related vet bill. Preventative stuff is 100% on us. Since we also signed him up before a certain age (20 weeks I think), his dental is also covered for his life. Since he likes to put things in his mouth that don't belong there and swallow them, we've paid a total of $1200 in deductibles and the insurance shelled out roughly 6k. Our vet also does package deals for the year where we pay about $500 a year to cover flea & tick medications, heartworm medications and get unlimited exams with no fee.

So between the insurance and the vet packages, we pay $120 monthly for the health care of our dog. I'd rather pay that to keep him healthy and have any emergency procedure covered than shell out 10k in one visit. For us, it's a no brainer and since we signed him up when he was so young, every emergency is covered.

Also, he's only 2 years old.

17. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Maybe over the course of their entire life with vet visits, but dogs 1. don't live very long so at most the surgery will buy a few years of life at a more limited physical capacity than the animal is used to, and 2. don't seem to fear death. As much as I've loved my pets I'm not sure if I could royally fuck over my finances (and my family's) for years to come to buy an extra year or two with an animal that's too dumb to ever appreciate or understand that kind of sacrifice. Also I feel if PG REALLY REALLY needed to save this dog's life he could knock a few thousand of those prices or maybe sweeten the deal with some patreon thing.

gabito likes this.
  18. Ibanez Rules

Ibanez Rules [email protected] Vendor

Best friends sister had a $25,000 vet bill and had to sell their house in Florida to cover it. I haven't had a pet since I cried my eyes out burring my last dog in the backyard 20 years ago. So I can see why somebody would pay big money on their pet, and at the same time, they live for 15 years, not 80. They may be family but they are going to come and go many times in your lifetime. And a replacement is a rescue at the shelter. Two sides to every coin. If it cost too much to fix ME I'd drink the cocktail instead. Spend a half mil to maybe decay away another 10 years or leave it to my grandkids, I'd leave it to my grandkids.

nikt, LordHar and shadowlife like this.
  19. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

My wife was in college at the time and a classmate of hers during the semester shelled out $41k and remortgaged their house, while she was in school, to cover a vet bill for her dog. They never found out what was wrong and the dog ended up dying a short time later.

I like my cats. They are part of the family. $1600 is about the top end of what I would spend on an animal. The vet even told us, at best, he gets 5 good years more out of it. He's only 2.5 years old. Like Rich said, the next cat is at the shelter waiting for a home. I'd miss the cat, but I am not going to screw over my family's financial security for a pet. Ever. Even though pets are family, on the totem pole of my house at least, they are on the bottom. For those who don't have kids, I also understand that to them, their pets are their kids and they might be willing to go a lot further than I will to keep them healthy.

20. technomancer

You do what you can :shrug: I'm in no danger of losing my house over any of this...