Passives in Blackout modified 1527?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Stoker, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Stoker

Stoker Member

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of buying a RG 1527 that has been routed for SD Blackouts.
    Do you think it is possible to install passives despite the modification? I'm generally not very fond of active PUs so I want to have the option.
    Haven't tried the Blackouts, though...

Thanks in advance!

P.S. sorry for the double post in the BO Thread, but the auction ends tomorrow...

2. TheSixthWheel

TheSixthWheel bangetzit

You know, Blackouts come in 2 different sizes. If you are replacing 7 string passives, they come in a size (Phase 1) which will fit your pickup rings or direct mount, without having to route your pickup cavities. If you are replacing 7 string EMGs, they come in a size (Phase 2) which will drop right in to your pickup routes for direct mount.

The guitar you have in mind sounds like it's already been modified for phase 2 blackouts, which are 7 string EMG size/aka swimming pool routes...it should still be very possible to install a pair of passives in those routes, but it never looks very good unless you get some custom pickup rings.

Check em out on the Seymour Duncan site:
    Blackouts 7-string AHB-1 7-str. - Seymour Duncan High Output

3. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

You can do it. By the way, they make plastic covers that you can fit over the pickups so that they look like they fit in the whole but still sound the way you want.

Give the blackouts a shot though. A lot of people who HATE EMG's absolutely love Blackouts. Myself included.

4. megano28

megano28 7 String Newbie

Yes it's possible, but as mentioned, you should give them a chance before dumping them. You may realize that your opinion isn't like the general consensus

5. Stoker

Stoker Member

Sorry, I should have specified this: The guitar is equipped with Phase I BOs. To fit the PUs in the 1527 cavities, the owner had to route them a little deeper (as others reported in the BO installation thread). Otherwise the top of the Humbuckers would get in the way of the strings.

I would definitely give the blackout a try, sure. But if the modification is non-reversible I will probably refrain from buying the guitar.

6. TheSixthWheel

TheSixthWheel bangetzit

The modification of the deepened pickup cavities should be able to be negated by either long leg passives, or by adding blocks under the direct mounted pickup tabs so the entire pickup is raised. Is that what you mean?