Party Room question on acoustics

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Helixx Guitars, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Helixx Guitars

Helixx Guitars SS.org Regular

So we found this house just outside of Nashville and on the lower floor it has a 3500 sq ft walkout basement. 2500 sq ft is open space with a bar. Lexi and I would like to make this into our practice/party room. The floors are a vintage 1983 parquet wood floor (not sure what the acoustical properties of wood floors are) and the walls are 4X8 Oak paneling (ick!!!). I can live with the floor though.
    We were wondering if we need some sort of acoustic tile on the walls to make the sound not so bouncing around the room from drums, studio monitors, pa, and electric guitars.
    Neighbors won't be an issue as all the homes are on 1 acre lots. I have a pic of the basement if anyone wants to see it.
    Would you guys use something like this?
    Auralex 2 ft. W x 2 ft. L x 2 in. H Studio Foam Pyramid Panels - Purple (Half-Pack: 12 Panels per Box)-2PYR22PUR-HP at The Home Depot
    Any polite civil replies would be much appreciated.
    Helixx and Lexi

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Don't bother - that will help with high frequency flutter, but nothing beyond that, that stuff isn't nearly full frequency.

Most people in your situation make DIY bass/broadband traps out of Owens-Corning 703 - 4" of the stuff (two 2" panels back to back) should absorb reflections down to about 200hz, and I think 6" would give you essentially full-frequency bass trapping. Though, if you have some airspace between the panel and the nearest hard reflective surface (i.e, the wall), that should allow you to extend down a bit further as well.

Rather than suggesting a particular tutorial, I'd say start here, and start reading.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

3. Helixx Guitars

Thanks for the heads up Drew. BTW the link in your signature seems to be dead. Sounded like a forum that would be right up my alley too.

4. Helixx Guitars

I guess these are the panels that are being referred to.

[​IMG]

5. Helixx Guitars

We'll that was pretty easy.
    I can can either make panels to cover all the ugly paneling or alternate panels to cover the ugly paneling.
    Solves both problems.

6. Helixx Guitars

I just need to figure out what's the best beer to serve on tap now. Any ideas?

7. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

[​IMG]