Partially Fretless 8 String Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by SamJacksonGuitar, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SamJacksonGuitar

SamJacksonGuitar Member

djentinc, mcd, JSanta and 12 others like this.
  2. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

Holy sweet guitar

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Super cool and sounds fantastic!
    I'm intrigued as to why the fretlines are in the same place as normal given the extended scale, though?
    Do you find that the extended scale makes your finger positions line up a bit more with the intonation point - too? I always imagined that would be a problem on a mixed fretted/fretless
    Love the sound of the nylons! What gauge is that low E? I'm trying to research similar stuff for a classical guitar but D'addario only do a string thick enough for low B. Labella go down to 80 but I've yet to try them.

4. SamJacksonGuitar

SamJacksonGuitar Member

Thanks for the kind words :)

The fretlines being lined up is really just a continuity thing. Having the extended scale does help it line up a bit more but whats more the reason why it extends beyond the nut is so that the note sounds inside the fretwidth so its possible to Bar with nylon and steel strings. At the moment the notes are very close to the fret line before them in the area below the 12th fret. Ive had the guitar for a couple of months and I might adjust that If I feel it necessary. The notes position inside the fret changes all the way up and by the time its up high its roughly in the middle and and really high its slightly closer to the fretline than the middle. It takes a little while to get used to where all the notes are but now Ive got a pretty decent grasp of it.

I'd love to tell you about the gauge of the low string but I've forgotten as the maker put them on for me! I'm going to speak to him in the next couple of days about some adjustments, mainly getting the Trussrod cover replaced as it was only a temporary one and doesn't fully cover the slot. I'll make sure when I do I'll ask and tell you. Those strings sound and feel great in my opinion and I would certainly recommend them.

5. djentinc

djentinc Banned

This is an amazing guitar Sam, really digging the concept of the whole thing. It reminds me of those Novax guitars that Charlie Hunter uses in the way that it's set up. Nice to see somebody using an 8 string configuration for acoustic music too :).

6. Rocky

Rocky Fill

That's soo stunning holy shit. I'm glad for you man and I wanna hear more stuff!!

7. SamJacksonGuitar

SamJacksonGuitar Member

The strings are Thomastik-Infeld. Nylon chord, short scale low E and A Bass strings :)

8. forshagesan

forshagesan SS.org Regular

supercool!

9. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

right on man keep the tunes coming that was awesome!