Partial refinishing a guitar?

Kawaii Besu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got this Ibanez RGA42FM and there was one part of the lower cutaway that became quite glossy. Unfortunately, I took some 0000 steel wool and carelessly sanded it away until some paint started to chip. I don't mind some scuffedness on my guitars, but I feel I couldn't get over it because of my own stupidity.

IMG_20211104_235339.jpg

Fortunatey, that entire area seems uniformly dark so I wonder - could I sand off the finish there, reapply a matching blue finish, and add new clearcoat around the body to make it uniform? I wouldn't mind some glossness by then if it means having a mostly uniform finish. My biggest concern is sanding the veneer off at that area.

Or should I just leave it and call it 'character'? It could be a reminder for me to not go full stupid. :french:

Gain_Junkie93

Can't handle 7's.
Reaction score
I say full refinish, do something unique if it's already goobered and it's gonna bother you.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah you won't be able to match it very well, in my opinion. Either full refinish or keep it in my opinion.

Actually looking at the picture, I wouldn't even bother. Doesn't even really look bad.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Is it just that little line on the bevel there?

I'd probably recommend leaving it, but you might be able to get away with a little blue dye followed by a little super glue. This also might make it look TERRIBLE though.

Kawaii Besu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it just that little line on the bevel there?

I'd probably recommend leaving it, but you might be able to get away with a little blue dye followed by a little super glue. This also might make it look TERRIBLE though.

There's quite a bit chipped off beside the neck joint and a little bit of splotches in the middle.

I think I'll leave it for now. It'll look worse than it would if I tried to 'fix it'.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for do nothing or Yolo it and make it look totally different!

aesthyrian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it's worth it for that instrument. Either full refinish because you want a new color, or just play the thing. It's far from a museum piece, I mean it's a $400 brand new guitar. Play that thang and forget about it.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I said personally. Sorry?

Yeah, right, I think I sounded a lot more rude than expected... What I meant is that sometimes we say things similar to what you say because a "beater" or "cheap" guitar of 400€ obviously is not worthy of an expensive refinish but sometimes that 400€ guitar is expensive for that person and meant several months of work to afford it, in those cases were are being very unsensible. So... if the worthiness of the guitar is not the question but the viability of the repair then why should we say something about it's worth? This is simply one of those things that triggers me, nothing to care about actually :lol:

aesthyrian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Totally fair and understandable. It's still a $400 guitar and this is 100% cosmetic, so not worth it to me personally speaking from experience. If you play it, you won't be looking at that spot anyway. Plus, it's not going to really increase the value of the guitar, so one must have a special attachment in this case to justify the time and money that would go into what is once again, 100% cosmetic. It would just be a money pit otherwise. Also, using your example of someone saving for a long while to afford said guitar, then that's a great reason to not blow money on this cosmetic repair. Just save it, upgrade some hardware or save for a new guitar. OP is allowed to do whatever they want of course, I'm just providing my input and opinion as asked. There is no right or wrong.

I still say play that thang.

Kawaii Besu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies! I think I'll keep it the way it is right now until it needs a refret maybe. I might get some polishing compound just to smooth out the scratches on the clearcoat (it's pretty glossy in that area anyway), but I'll live with it for now. It certainly has 'mojo' now for sure. :french:

I got it for $330 used so I shouldn't be too massively disappointed. It does sting a bit if I ever decide to sell it, but I'm not looking to do that in the near future.

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Veneer top on my guitar was almost half a millimetre, it then had coloured lacquer sprayed over the top.

Just mix up some gloss finish and blue dye, build it up and then polish it back. Your finish is super thin so you don't need much to build it up. You could also mix a colour you are happy with with some acetone and superglue and paint it in.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd say just leave it - i learned my lesson the hard way today about getting unnecessary guitar fixes even with so called professionals

Kawaii Besu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Veneer top on my guitar was almost half a millimetre, it then had coloured lacquer sprayed over the top.

Just mix up some gloss finish and blue dye, build it up and then polish it back. Your finish is super thin so you don't need much to build it up. You could also mix a colour you are happy with with some acetone and superglue and paint it in.

The guitar is actually finished in satin so I wonder if I could substitute that for a matte clear.

Speaking of which, the problem has gotten slightly worse lately. Would layers of blue dye + some sanding + a layer of matte clearcoat on the entire top work?

IMG_20211109_110555.jpg

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The guitar is actually finished in satin so I wonder if I could substitute that for a matte clear.

Speaking of which, the problem has gotten slightly worse lately. Would layers of blue dye + some sanding + a layer of matte clearcoat on the entire top work?

IMG_20211109_110555.jpg

Blue permanent marker

Use a 24-color sharpie set if you want a decent color match, or even just use "regular" blue Sharpie as it is pretty close-ish

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd agree with the Sharpie. Have a go under the back cover first to get a good match.
Just dot bits on and rub it with your finger while tacky to get a better unnoticeable finish.

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I

IMG_20211109_110555.jpg
I prefer matte finishes because i can just do Tung Oil, whereas mine was Gloss so needed a thick buildup and polishing.

Sharpie, use a sanding sealer to lock it in, Bullseye etc. rub with tung oil?

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd agree with the Sharpie. Have a go under the back cover first to get a good match.
Just dot bits on and rub it with your finger while tacky to get a better unnoticeable finish.

Plus you can wipe it off with IPA if it hasn't settled in yet (or forever on certain woods)