Paint Over Epoxy

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Nagash, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

I have an LTD guitar I'd like to mod the hell out of. I'd like to remove the finish, do some mods to the wood, and then refinish it. Here's the thing : one wood mod I'd like to do is to fill the neck pickup cavity (and other holes, probably) to turn it into a single-pickup guitar. Apparently, the easiest way to do that is to just fill the cavity with epoxy.

Is it possible to paint over epoxy, though ? I'm talking solid color, so I'd need a primer to stick to the epoxy, and I have no idea if that works or not. I'd be kinda annoyed to start butchering the guitar and to not be able to hide everything I've done to it under a coat of paint !

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

It's totally doable provided you prep the epoxy surface (if need be) and use paint that will stick to it. I recommend doing a test piece before doing it to the guitar.

3. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

Yeah of course I'll do a test piece before the actual mod. I just wanted to know if it has a chance to work before buying all the stuff... it would be kinda dumb to buy everything only to be told "nah forget it", haha

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Clean the epoxy really good after it fully cures, use a mild abrasive like a scotch brite pad or magic eraser. Then sand it progressively to around 320 grit if you're going for a gloss finish at the end. Any finer and the primer might not adhere properly.

Like @KnightBrolaire said, do some text pieces. You'll have to find what works best, grit wise, for your final finish. Probably somewhere between 180 and 320 grit.

5. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

I have some 00000 grade steel wool, could I use that as "mild abrasive" or not ?

6. MaxOfMetal

It's definitely not ideal, but you might get it to work.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I tried painting an epoxy hole fill in a mirror frame once. So I literally only have a sample size of 1. But I wasnt able to get latex interior eggshell paint to stick until I got the grit down to 150.

8. MaxOfMetal

Primer is usually more forgiving.

Personally, I just use the old wood filler and block method. It takes longer, but I've never had blending and finishing problems.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, I would do like Max said and use wood filler and a wood block. That's gonna be a lot easier to work with in general than epoxy.

Unless you're really keen on seeing what Toan Epoxy adds to the guitar.

10. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Yep! Just like others said, make sure to sand to a reasonable grit. I've gone as high as 400-600 grit and still had paint apply, but that's not recommended. Nice thing about epoxy is that it's quite stable relative to wood, but give it a week or so before painting to make sure nothing shrinks/shifts.

11. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

Tonepoxy or GTFO !

Nah, I don't really care about the material, I just thought epoxy filling would be easier than messing with a wood block and wood filler. You're making me have second thoughts about it now though

12. MaxOfMetal

They're both probably about the same, it just depends on where you want to put the work in.

Epoxy can have a long cure time, especially if poured thick to fill up the cavity, and then you have to be mindful of finishing.

The filler and block method takes a bit of finesse to carve the block, and you might need a couple passes of filler if it shrinks too much.

13. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

If your going for the epoxy method make sure you use casting epoxy as it tends to shrink far less than that crap from the £/$ shop (its the stuff they use for specimens ect) you might also have to do it in 2 parts,so pour 50% - cure - Pour 50% more cure & flatten

I used the wood block fixed in with epoxy on my HM strat neck pup,I didnt give the epoxy enuff time to cure and then it reacted with the base paint and also shrunk back as the clear was curing lol ;)

If you have access to a CNC machine you could get someone to cut you a new slightly bigger pocket and block from the same design to fill it (what i'll be doing later in the year if i decide to refinish my definished HM strat again).

14. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

Widening the pickup cavity to a rectangle might actually be a good idea. Damn, now I don't know what I want to do anymore, haha

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

When filling a large cavity, epoxy can have cracking issues due to heat buildup, depending on the type you use, so be careful with that if you try. Even if you were to try epoxy I would still fill as much of the hole with a wood block as you can. I'd go with wood filler for this though, even though epoxy is my finish of choice.

16. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Lol sorry to add to your confusion ;) Id only do widdening/plug if you can get someone to create the template & fill from the same cnc file or your just making work for yourself,maybe have the filling block cut 0.25/0.5 mm or so smaller so you can get some glue/epoxy ect in there.

but if you go for any kind of epoxy pour fill don't forget to seal the pup cable hole from the upper to lower routes....been there ;)

17. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

I'm not sure I'd have thought of that :lol:

Using wood and filler is starting to sound easier

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

A block of wood will give you a great starting point and you won't have to fill a small pool with epoxy, but wouldn't wood filler shrink under the paint? I feel like epoxy or some kind of hard finish like that would give smoother results.

19. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

When I'm too lazy to prepare a fitting wood block, I mix wood shavings with epoxy to fill holes. Try to use as little epoxy as possible so the mixture just works. Slap everything in so it's hanging out on top, let dry and saw off with a Kugihiki (flush cutting saw). The resulting surface can be sanded and painted like wood.

KR250 and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  20. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Well that's a cool trick. Gonna have to try that.