Ozzy's No More Tears 30th Anniversary (Expanded Edition available)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Another of my favourite albums turns 30 yr old today, amazing but also slightly depressing as to how old I am!

I love this album, always have, Zakk is on epic form on his 2nd album with Ozzy (solo in No More Tears is still one of the best solo's ever imo) the songs are all great even if for me 3 ballads are 2 too many and AVH main riff sounds a lot like Bon Jovi's Homebound Train LOL!.

After this and then the brilliant Ozzmosis me and Ozzy parted ways, Ive not liked any of his stuff since, for me Zakk kept all his best tunes for BLS instead of Ozzy.

2. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Yay, 30 year anniversary, time for another shameless money grab!
    It’s not like there hasn’t been a remaster yet.

Good album though!

Gain_Junkie93 likes this.
  3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Now I can learn the solo to No More Tears in honor of its anniversary!

Zakk had a really killer tone on that record as well.

5. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

He's still a great player but early Zakk Wylde was a beast. Any clip of him clean-shaven with bell bottoms is a guaranteed rip-fest. His technique was so clean back then. Very mature musical vocabulary for someone so young, too. He would've been just 24 when No More Tears came out.

6. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike Contributor

God damn I love no more tears and the black album.

zappatton2 likes this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

30 Years?! Are those whales calls in the solo for the song No More Tears or volume swells? For some reason I thought I heard an interview where Zack said it was whales but can't remember if he said that or if he imitated them or what. Could be a false memory.

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Really good album, the Live & Loud followup live album is to this day one of my favourites, I was happy to get the collectorversion with the metal grille. Probably the apex of his career.
    I once saw in Ochanomizu an ESP replica of the beer capsules southern flag guitar and would have bought it instantly except that this kind of money on a guitar was absolutely out of the question. (My time in Japan was 95-96)

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I’d prefer an expanded edition of No Rest.

10. Louis Cypher

I think that is a really underrated album, it's got a lot of great tracks on it other than just Miricle Man. Fire in the Sky and Breakin all the rules inparticular and the fact Zakk was 19/20 when he co-wrote (some of the tunes) and recorded that album that's unbelievable.

I love that album! one the best live albums imo. I have the metal grill version too. That was Ozzys No More Tours tour where he was gonna retire afterwards! 30 yrs later he's still touring!

11. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Last Classic aka Great Ozzy album. Ozzmosis was still very good, but then it was off a cliff.....

I remember like yesterday when I first heard the Drop-D main riff and epic solo section. Zakk was like a young Viking before being ruined by too much mead. Ahh what a great time it was to be a young guitarist....little did we know the End was coming for a while later that year.....as far as MTV was concerned that is.

12. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

The biggest handicap by far for No Rest was weak production, specifically the drums. Some tracks had simply AWFUL sounding drums.

Opposite for No More Tears, which had the best production of Ozzy's career. What a difference it makes...

13. Andromalia

Yeah, he called his Ozzmosis tour the "retirement sucks tour". :D

Ozzmosis does have a special place for me because it's one of the albums I've bought while living in Japan so it's part of my "remembering Japan when it plays" collection, along with Ballbreaker, the X Factor (which is pretty good if you omit Bailey), Megadeth's Hidden Treasures, the Cranberries "No need to argue" and a few others...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  14. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I kinda hated Ozzmosis when it came out, but it grew on me to the point of being one of my favs. But on topic, '91 was a big year of musical discovery for me, and No More Tears was a big part of that. That, along with the Illusions, the Black Album, Hey Stoopid, Slave to the Grind, all such nostalgic classics at a time when I was just really starting to get seriously into music.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Two killer records.

ArtDecade, Kyle Jordan and zappatton2 like this.
  16. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I had already been playing guitar a few years by the time I ‘discovered’ Zakk Wylde. MTV or VH1 was airing Live And Loud and seeing Zakk, I just thought he looked so fuckin’ cool and the playing!!!

I was a chubby ass teenager dreaming of wearing nothing but leather pants onstage and kickin’ ass…..right as JNCO’s were the biggest thing. :lol:

Actually, I know I heard “Perry Mason” before I saw Live And Loud, I can’t quite remember how far apart it was, but “Perry Mason” was my first experience hearing Zakk and I just remember thinking that the harmonics and everything in the song just sounded so fuckin….wild. That energy and fire was really somethin’ else. Especially in comparison to what was on MTV at the time.

Zakk became a huge influence on me and still is in a lot of ways.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  17. Louis Cypher

Ignoring the Ragnarok Zakk of the last decade or two, all big beard and biceps, in those early days, NRFTW and NMT he was so fcuking cool, shredding the sh1t out of a Les Paul of all things when every other player was on some sort of pointy neon/floral Ibanez, as you say leather or denim bell bottoms, no top, amazing Sebastian Bach esque long blonde hair, very good looking bloke.... sure more than once as a kid I replaced my face with his in those videos in my head coz I wanted to be as cool a rock star guitarist as he was back then to a stupid kid just learning to play War Pigs off the Just Say Ozzy ep! LOL!

Spaced Out Ace and RevDrucifer like this.
  18. Louis Cypher

I didn't know this in regards to Live & Loud, Just Say Ozzy & The Ultimate Sin albums.
    Being a saddo I checked and Shot in the Dark isnt on any post mid 90's live or compilation albums..... I did always wonder why there was no remaster/reissue of Ultimate Sin or Live and Loud..... is there any writing collaborator other than Zakk that Ozzy hasnt fought a legal battle with over money??

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  19. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Hell yeah, man!

It was like ‘97 or so when I really got into him, telling my friends I wanted to start wearing tight bell bottoms with no shirt…..when I was pushing 200lbs and about 5’6” :lol::lol::lol:

ArtDecade and Louis Cypher like this.
  20. Andromalia

Given what most remasters sound like, I'm fine with it. That's one of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard. I understand remasters are a money tree, but it's annoying when the old version becomes unavailable and you have to make some Google archeology to find them.
    The only remasters I find even remotely palatable are the pink floyd albums, where they clean up the sound to modern standards instead of just jacking up the compressor.