Overlooked Brands / Guitar Bargains

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JimF, May 28, 2021.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Yeah, I feel like when something is "overlooked" what that means is that everybody is buying it because everybody wants a good deal. So it goes in the opposite direction and stuff is more expensive than it should be. There's no secrets anymore about this stuff but still (or more than ever?) everybody wants good deals and overlooked things are supposedly the solution.

And then social media and clickbaity youtube videos in particular seem to exacerbate the problem even more. "OMG 50$ GUITAR BETTER THAN GIBZON!!1". Everybody wants to convince themselves that a cheap thing is better than something that costs 10 times more, and they don't want to go through the effort of thinking critically about things when they can have the answer they're looking for conveniently handed to them. And then the whole sad system feeds into all this and milks it for profit.

I don't think there's many bargains to be had from looking for overlooked stuff anymore, that's probably mostly gonna lead to frustration. Actually these days buying guitars period seems like a frustrating activity. I'm glad I mostly have what I need.

fabronaut and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  2. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

Ibanez would have to be the least overlooked guitar company after Gibson and Fender!

aesthyrian likes this.
  3. thraxil

thraxil cylon

That definitely used to be the case (why I have 13 of them). Lately though, I haven't seen a Fly on Reverb or eBay for under 2k.

4. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

read the rest of my comment. Yes, ibanez, the name itself, is a big brand name, and in certain circles, maybe bigger than Gibson/Fender/PRS. However, they do have several other guitars that are hardly ever brought up as either people arent aware of them, or they just get over shadowed by their other better known guitars.

For example, ive known about Ibanez for decades. Have owned a few in the past as well. However, I always associated ibanez to metal. Even their website would throw JEM, PGM, and other similar guitars at you first and foremost. I had to go to Dimarzio's website to discover Andy Timmons, who also has an Ibanez sig model that hardly ever is brought up on the several forum's i'm on.

Sure, Andy Timmons maybe known and well respected, but his guitars are almost always overlooked. And that is just one example. The brand, Ibanez, in its own glory, hides other non-obvious guitars they carry.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Timmons was one of the handful of artists chosen to promote the new at the time AZ model. The most significant new model in nearly two decades. A model and series that was Ibanez' gamble on thier future.

It's sort of a big deal, and in doing so Ibanez produced numerous videos of Timmons and his new AZ based signature model, and sponsored a lengthy clinic tour.

Andy Timmons has flown under the radar for years, which is unfortunate because he's a monster player, but it's flat out wrong to say Ibanez has "hidden" him and his various signature guitars over the years considering the support they've provided.

If you don't hear much about him in your circle...find a better circle. :lol:

As for Ibanez the brand, you're not going to find much love for thier "less metal" options on a forum like this, but they do sell, and sell very well.

fabronaut and aesthyrian like this.
  7. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I've been looking for a decent deal for a fly in the EU for years with zero luck.

My great white buffalo list is: Parker Fly, Yamaha Wes Borland, Old PRS CE, Yamaha Troy Van Leeuwen.

If I found any of these ca €1k I'd jump on them.

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. død

død SS.org Regular

+1 on German made Framuses (Framusi?) being excellent guitars!

I bought a new Camarillo Custom back in 2007, kept it around as my main guitar ever since. That thing handles everything with ease, has one of the comfiest neck profiles I know of, and has the bolt-in neck that they don’t seem to do anymore. Shame, since it really is the best bolt-on type construction I’ve come across so far.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  9. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I would disagree. As mentioned Andy was promoted heavily. And on top of that it almost seems like half their signature artists play the non typical seris like the AZ and the new AZS is being promoted as well. Seems like they do a good job of promoting most of their entire line up.

10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Just saw a parker listed for $4500cad, allegedly rare colour.

Newp.

fabronaut, Ataraxia2320 and AxeHappy like this.
  11. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Don't know how I didn't think of them sooner but Jericho is another brand that is under the radar and has a lot of quality high spec instruments.

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Wait until he learns about this guy...

a_main_GeorgeBenson.jpg

sirbuh, fabronaut and dbrozz like this.
  13. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

parker flys are the most overpriced thing out there these days, still sick guitars

MIJ Ibbies are still the best bang for the buck shredders, less common but still out there. 500 for the best neck and locking trem on the market, the most expensive stuff I've had can't get action or stay in tune like a good MIJ Ibby

fabronaut and Gain_Junkie93 like this.
  14. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I wish the prestige stuff was cheaper in Europe. You are looking to around €800 for a cheaper used prestige.

fabronaut likes this.