Overlooked Brands / Guitar Bargains

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JimF, May 28, 2021.

1. nedheftyfunk

nedheftyfunk SS.org Regular

Do you have any external source with more information on the move? The "about" on the Fame website almost reads "Mayones, Mayones, Mayones...", though it might just not have been updated:

https://www.fame-guitars.de/en/__fame_about_en/

It's definitely the case that the "SE" stuff is made outside of Europe, which explains the first two words in "Almost all of our exclusive electric guitars are handmade in Europe with great attention to detail and convince through high-quality workmanship as well as through highest playing comfort and versatile sounds" on the front page.

I get tempted by the Forum every now and then, but a couple of years ago when they a run over a few months of "special" tops, they seemed pretty weak, which had me wonder about what the standard ones must look like beyond the stock photos.

2. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

They've made it very hard to find the information so I'll have to wait till later to be at my computer to find a source. I have had the same conversation online like 4 or 5 times now so you would think I'd have bookmarked it but nope :D.

Edit - Just at a quick glance, the forum customs are proudly displayed as "made in Gdansk" but the regular forums are "made in europe". I'll see if I can get a source later but that should be enough for now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  3. Ataraxia2320

Seit über 20 Jahren wurden alle Fame Modelle bei Mayones in Danzig gefertigt. In Zukunft werden dort nur noch die exklusiven Custom Shop Modelle gebaut. Alle anderen Modelle produziert die renommierte Firma NBE in Tschechien, die für diverse internationale Nobelmarken fertigt

In English - For over 20 years all Fame models were manufactured in Danzig by Mayones. From now on, only custom shop models (referring to the custom line) will be built there. All other models will be manufactured by the renowned company NBE in Czech Republic which produces instruments for other established international brands.

https://images.musicstore.de/assets/fame-test/fame-forum-iv-2018.pdf

From a 2018 press release.

Sorry if my translation is dicey, I havent used my German in a minute.

4. nedheftyfunk

nedheftyfunk SS.org Regular

5. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I would throw Ibanez into this list as well. Not necessarily an overlooked guitar company, per-se, but something that is really easily overshadowed by its own name.
    Yes, they make hundreds of thousands of different guitars and models, and yes, they have super silly names that are kind of hard to figure out what they are.
    their website doesn't really make it easy to find different guitars either, as some of them, you really need to hunt down between acoustics, electrics, jazz, artists, basses, etc.

however, they do have several different lines that do cater to different demographics. Once you know what you're looking for, they kind of go from there.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Translation is spot on :agreed:

7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

The old USA made peavey stuff is becoming more well known, especially the T-60 and T-40, but if you can find one for under $400 USD you can flip it to some hipster for instant profit. I still kick myself for letting a $150 T-40 in its original case walk away in someone else's hands a couple years back.

8. TimSE

TimSE Tone Chasr Contributor

Burny MIJ les Pauls (And Greco for about the same prices) roughly $700-1k
    Amazing instruments that blow Gibson out of the water. I had Gibsons and I'm selling my only remaining one.

e52d3ebf-381d-4ce8-b1c9-c81977d214f3.jpg

Also NK Guitars from China. Fuck me those are stunningly good. Perfect frets, no shortcuts in the designs. Even has good stock pups.

USMarine75 and soliloquy like this.
  9. Ataraxia2320

To be honest I think its just deceptive marketing.

Like NBE make great basses, but they dont have the same reputation as Mayones. They have also referred to NBE being in the "Mayones guitar family" in another press release I seen ages back.

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I mentioned in another thread recently, but it's relevant here, too: Godin

AxeHappy, Ataraxia2320 and oracles like this.
  11. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Cort! They manufacturer Korean and Indonesian models for some of the biggest guitar brands, but sell equivalent quality guitars with their own branding for cheaper. Their strats beat Yamaha Pacifica on bang-for-buck (not to mention the Cort-made Squiers that sell for 50% more). I can't speak from experience, but I've heard their LPs are better value than Epiphone. Some of their more contemporary models look decent too.

aesthyrian likes this.
  12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Godin's are exceptionally good value used guitars, they punch way above their weight.

Marked Man and AxeHappy like this.
  13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

There are quite a few G&Ls that are pretty nice, and while some are priced appropriately, there seems to be quite a few that are under-priced, if you know what you're looking at.

USMarine75 likes this.
  14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Your post isnt helping with the '78 Greco standard :lol:.

15. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Schecter Custom Shop still fly under the Radar in the UK my Sunset 7 was only £1250 from guitarguitar. Which is cheaper than their high spec Korean stuff.

16. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Most of the stuff mentioned here isn't remotely overlooked and gets snatched up fast at 3x the price they were a decade ago. I'd say Hagstrom, Godin, G&L

17. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

YMMV.... I've been lucky to try and/or own a bunch of Schecter USA Custom Shop recently. Majority out of those were the most basic swamp ash run they did a couple of years back, but yet - at the end of the day I'd still rather have a higher-end Korean one any day over those basic ones.
    Neck joints that I prefer, quality of life things like luminlays, stainless steel frets, and if you pick the right model, you still get the USA pickups on the import ones. On average I also personally think the imports look better (Just on average though. Some of the high end custom stuff is stunning....but then we're far far from bargain type of pricing).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  18. vilk

vilk Very Regular

The grassroots I bought in ...2012? Was Indonesian (I think all of them were/still are?). Having said that, it was the best Indonesian guitar I have ever played, and I'm a stupid idiot for trading it for an Ibanez iron label.

soliloquy likes this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Stop talking about old USA Peaveys. You cant have any. I own them all.

:lol:

20. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

FGN, Harley Benton, and Cort tick those boxes for me right now.