Overload guitars - experiences?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Strtsmthng, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Hi guys,
    As you may have seen in other threads, I am currently evaluating several builders/workshops for my first custom build. At the moment, an Overload Rea is on top of the list.
    http://www.overloadguitars.com/rea.html

Therefore I would like to know:
    Have you had any previous experience with Overload, have you owned one, how do build quality and attention to detail compare, any additional info on the company/people involved ('buy the builder'), etc...?
    TIA!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

3. Strtsmthng

Thanks for the suggestion!
    I already looked through everything I could find here on SSO, I just hoped some more info/owners had become available since the last posts :)

4. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

827CC982-BC27-41FF-B1D4-531D6A1B8CFC.jpeg i have a rea 6, that i bought pre-owned on a french forum. Couldnt resist despite the price. ;)
    Think a lot about mayones in terms of quality/feeling
    Mine is red with a mastergrade quilt top, multiscale,bkp aftermath pups,7ply neck through, piezzo, red leds on the side of the fretboard....
    It’s a very cool axe, that i should play more often but not necessarly in need of the multiscale stuff.
    I got some gas crisis so not sure i’ll keep it forever bit they are very well crafted guitars for sure.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  5. Strtsmthng

Wow that I some seriously nice piece, many thanks for the feedback and sharing!!!

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you aren't getting a lot of feedback on this builder, perhaps go with someone better known?

Masoo2 likes this.
  7. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I played one in either 2016/2017, and it certainly wasnt terrible, but it didn't blow me away either. The fretwork was below average for its cost IMO, but that's really the only drawback that I remember, and they could very well have improved since then.

8. Strtsmthng

Was that a new guitar or an earlier model you played?

Thanks for your feedback!

9. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

I was recently in Japan and saw a few for the first time. I wasn't able to try them out, but I did as close of a visual inspection I could without touching. Fretwork seemed perfect. For the price, I think the quality of the figuring, finishes, and the logo seemed a bit underwhelming.

Attached Files:

10. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Buy used.
    Expect to sit on it a while when you decide to flip it because you will have to find a buyer willing to take a risk.

11. Strtsmthng

Many thanks for sharing!!!
    As so often in Japan it seems, those prices are absolutely insane. A fully loaded Rea 7 will cost me 2.3k here in Europe - and that is fully custom built to my specs.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

Mine was very well built but had some dings/tool marks. Not sure if it was from the luthier or the 1st owner. Still the overall fit and finish/fretwork/initial setup was pretty good, definitely not bad ime.
    I loved my rhea 8 but sold it since I'm getting more and more picky with my preferred 8 string specs.