Overdrive with foot switchable gain?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mniel8195, Jul 19, 2015.

1. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

Hey guys i am looking for a new 808 based overdrive to boost the blue ch. of my 5150 III. I usually use it with the gain at zero and the balance or level all the way up. for leads though i typically like putting the gain around 9 oclock. Is there any 808 pedals that i can foot switch the amount of gain?

I've been checking out the earthquake palisades because it has two gain options and a boost. I'm thinking its going to be pretty hard to bear that pedal...

2. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Source Audio's soundbloxpro line distortion pedals can do anything from clean boost to saturated distortion. 3 on/off switches for the 3 saved settings (technically 6 spots, but they are in 2 banks). PLUS, you have a 7 band EQ that you can program for each preset.

The Classic Distortion has a specific tube screamer distortion type (among others). Nice thing is you can adjust the drive in two stages -- before and after the midrange boost.

Additionally, you can use an expression pedal to control the amount of gain (or any other parameter) or even smoothly morph from one preset to another. Midi controllable. Built in noise gate (each preset can have their own threshold).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

There are plenty of overdrives out there with an additional footswitchable boost circuit - the Fulltone Fulldrive, Fastback Custom SlowFire, and MXR CAE OD all come to mind.

Or if you're okay with digital, pick up a used Line 6 M5 and a cheap expression pedal - you can assign the expression pedal to control any parameter on the pedal, and it has a few different overdrive options, one of which is of course a tube screamer. Heel down, regular boost mode, toe down, boosted pedal gain, perhaps rolled off highs

4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

What about the JHS Double Barrel? Use the first OD as a boost and switch on the second to add gain. Or just use any two overdrives

5. emerica1184

emerica1184 Member

ts808 with spark booster in front of it

6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It may not be "808" based but Visual Sound has the VS-XO Dual Overdrive and has gotten fairly decent reviews.

[​IMG]

VS-XO | Truetone

7. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Not a bad idea. You can easily get 2 decent boost/od pedals for less than $150.

8. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

I'm not talking about actual volume but additional gain. I'm sure there is a difference between turning up the gain of a pedal with diodes vs clicking on a clean boost.

9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

yeah. you can do that with two OD's. Get one Maxon OD808x and set it up kinda gainy, then set up another one with equal or more gain. Then set the levels so that when you hit the second OD it only adds gain, not a volume boost.

The OD808x has both a "Gain" and "Level" (or volume) knob. This is the best way to go. You get your 808 circuit and the flexibility you want.

On a side note, I suggest the OD808x over the regular OD808. Its... Its just better

10. Axewield31

Axewield31 SS.org Regular

There's some pretty cheap TS style pedals about. You could always buy two?

11. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Well the big thing about a boost in front of something gainy is that once you're in distortion territory, throwing higher output at it isn't going to add volume, it's just going to add gain.

That's why when you put an overdrive in front of a distorted amp, it just distorts more, instead of getting louder. So yeah, you could honestly just do a TS9 and a Mini Spark, as long as the mini spark is in front, you'll be getting more gain, not more volume.

So remember - Boost->drive=more gain; drive->boost=more volume.

12. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

^--- that, except that when you have amp gain going on too then drive > boost can still equal more overall gain.

13. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

Check out the Hellmouth from Abominable Electronics.

[​IMG]

14. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I use an xotic ep booster at its minimum setting in front of my 5150iii mini on ch2. That pedal is the magic sauce.

15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

That thing looks badass!!!

16. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

The Z. Vex "Super Duper 2 in 1" might be what you are looking for: Super Duper 2-in-1

It is basically two Super Hard-on's that have different levels of gain and can be used simultaneously in a cascaded gain structure. I tried one today and if its something you need, it works really well. The warnings about blowing your amp up are not a joke though. However, your amp will be so loud any rational person will know to turn it down. :2c:

17. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

I purchased the bulb deluxe...I like the sound of the pedal and i think it will come in handy when my 7 string arrives because the attack switch cuts gain and bass. I owned the attack overdrive for a while but it was not versatile enough. I will say though it does not work as a dedicated overdrive pedal in front of a clean ch. To be clear with everyone i need an 808 overdrive that is very versatile. I may go check out the palisades at my local guitar store.

18. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Boss SD-1, MXR Micro Amp in front - doesn't get a lot more simple or cheap and sturdy than that

19. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Just found this. Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or its Caline clone for those looking for this kinda solution on the cheap.

https://youtu.be/FLr4U2ogQag