Overdrive pedal turning off when clicking on tuner.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by conorreich, Jan 21, 2019.

1. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

Title says it all. There's been a few times I've clicked my OD on and then gone to tune, and when I'm done tuning my OD is off.

TF is the deal? Is it because its a cheap tuning pedal? I took a video for evidence. I thought I had surely gone crazy.

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Is it by any chance the Donner DT1 tuner pedal?

I have one of those and it does the same thing. Traded it for a different tuner and I no longer have that problem.

3. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

Woah it sure is. Welp good to know that's the problem.

Thanks!

4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

That's a weird issue. I know that some pedals won't turn on if there's nothing plugged into the input; a tuner's supposed to mute the output so you can tune quietly- I wonder if it's somehow 'tricking' the next pedal in-line that there's no input connection?

5. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I checked Amazon reviews and apparently it is a common issue with the Donner DT-1 tuner. It's definitely a strange issue that I never thought I'd see.

I also put my Dr. Swamp OD after it and it did the same thing.

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

One of those reviews is mine :)

I always figured it was power supply noise but now that you say it I wonder if it is the input being shorted or something instead.

IIRC I had other issues with it too. Clipping the signal when it wasn't on and similar things. It's been a while though so I might be thinking of a different pedal.

For the record I replaced it with the "Mugig" brand tuner pedal (looks exactly the same as several other brands of tuner pedal) and haven't had any issues since. I don't know if I've used that pedal with my boss overdrive yet though. That was the one that had the switching problems with the Donner.

7. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I definitely read yours haha. You had said something about the noise in the review which is why I tried it after my OD. I'm going to look at the mupig one. If the pedals are true bypass, I see no reason to spend a lot on a tuner :2c: