Overcomplicating my simple rig

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Chris Bowsman, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I keep all my music gear downstairs, but I'm always dragging stuff upstairs to play in the living room. My wife gets a little annoyed at a 2x12 amp, pedals, cables, power supplies, etc... strewn across the floor.

My answer to this was to grab a Mustang III v2 1x12, so I only have an amp, a cable, and a guitar upstairs. For a couple weeks, I was really happy with it. Still am, but I'm starting to hear that it could use some improvement. Since I didn't get an expression pedal for the Mustang, I put my wah in front of it. Then last night, I found an old DOD rackmount 31 band EQ to put in the Mustang's effects loop. I've just noticed how much impact the different cab sims on the Mustang have, so now I'm kicking around an IR pedal to put after the EQ.

So much for the simple, clean rig.

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Why not just use the software to tweak it?

3. Chris Bowsman

There's no onboard graphic eq. I really should download the software and see what I can do.

4. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Whoaaa No Way!!!

Why not just play downstairs with the gear that's already down there...?

5. Chris Bowsman

For myriad reasons, it’s perpetually a mess. Additionally, I work a lot, don’t get to spend as much time with my family as I’d like, so after waiting almost 20 years to have a room for my stuff, hanging out down there alone bums me out.

coffeeflush likes this.
  6. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I too have a living room rig to steal a few minutes of riffage while the kiddo is taking a bath or something, so I understand. But I think you're over thinking it for sure. You really only need something that'll get you a passable tone. Admittedly, I only use 2 tones at most so it's not a struggle for me.

I used a Peavey Vypyr for mine for a while until it migrated to office at work, that was more than enough. Now I have a couple of preamp pedals, a Quilter Microblock, and 112 or 212 cab. Footprint is small enough to keep the Mrs. happy and I'm very satisfied tonally.

I'd say you should just stick with the combo and tweak it until you're happy. Sometimes it's fun to force yourself to work through the limitations of the gear in front of you.

7. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I think you should really get a Yamaha THR amp. Not only they sound great and are 100% conceived as practice amps, they are also very stylish and could please the wife even as decoration.

They even have built-in wireless so even less cables.

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Don’t listen to these guys. They’re trying to trip you up.

Tear down one of the living room walls and replace it with 15 or so of your favorite high gain heads, clean amps and various cabs. Don’t skimp on the custom cables either, both in terms of quality and exact lengths. Spend some time with cable management (child safety & please the mrs.) and get a few amp/cab switchers. Also, don’t forget about a few silent/recording options as well. Grab a Waza Tube Expander, Two Notes Studio, UA Ox Box, and Suhr Reactive Load; these should cover the basics.

9. Chris Bowsman

Lol, thanks everyone.

Got the EQ. For now, I'm using it to cut everything 63hz and below, and 12.5k and above. Takes away the muddiness from the low F#, and the digital fizz from the amp. Though it's clunky, I'm spending more time playing and less time turning knobs, which is cool.

Also, got the amp connected to my laptop... kind of a letdown. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the Mustang III v2 has a very friendly onboard interface, so I didn't see much benefit to hassling with the Fuse software.

10. Nicki

Nicki Twit

This was the idea behind my A rig and B rig.

A rig is basically a complicated set up that is too many wires and too much gear to haul around. Definitely a live show & studio use case kind of rig.

B Rig is a much more simplified setup that is barely anything to move around at all. PRS MT 15 head, Fender Bassbreaker 112 and a Boss GT-1. It mainly lives in my basement beside A Rig, but on sunny days, I bring it outside onto my backyard deck and regale the neighbours with the songs of our people.

Tone wise, A rig is my end of tone chasing. It's the sound I've been looking for since I was young. B rig, though it sounds damn fine, isn't the perfect tone, but still kicks ass.

If you're going to have a practice rig, get one that is close enough to the tone you like. It doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to be usable.

11. Chris Bowsman

My wife was giving me the stink eye about the growing pile of junk in the living room. Think I’m gonna replace the Mustang with a Peavey Piranha micro head and my home made 1x12. This will fit under the tv stand, mostly out of sight, and still allow me to use the EQ and only have a cable sticking out when it’s being used.

She probably won’t like the wah that will inevitably wind up on the floor in front, but it’s better than what I’m doing now, haha.