OSD - Didn't think this day would come

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ilyti, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Old Strat Day!

I've been anti-strat for all my guitar playing years. My first electric was a Les Paul, so that's what I'm used to. I never liked the thin, jangly tone of a strat, the flat top, the bulky neck joint, the giant pickguard, the middle pickup that gets in the way of the pick, the derpy headstock shape. So yeah, it didn't seem likely I'd ever buy a Strat. I am a huge fan of Yngwie, Blackmore and Hendrix though, so its impossible to hate strats entirely.

Anyway; friend of mine was moving so he sold some stuff to lighten his load, including an old Japanese strat. When I picked it up, it was missing the low E string and the rest were strung poorly. I did a quick tune and to my amazement – THE THING SHREDS! Couldn't believe it. Despite the worn down frets and bulky neck joint, the notes just pop out of that maple board with very little effort. The brand name is Sanox and a quick google search shows that it was made sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. Its pre-lawsuit so it looks pretty much like a Fender. So yeah: pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a (rather limited) family shot for good measure:
    [​IMG]

Judging from the wood grain, I think its a one-piece ash body with a two-piece maple neck and maple fretboard. Strangely enough it has a 3-way switch instead of the 5-way, so it can't do those nice 2 and 4 positions. That must be remedied. Also, the neck pickup doesn't work, so I've got 2 out of the 5 strat sounds actually working. The middle pickup sounds alright for cleans and blues, the bridge I'm not crazy about. New pickups? Probably.

Yup, I'm turning this into a project guitar. First up is scalloping the potatoes I mean fretboard. Always wanted a tasty groovy fretboard. The frets have to be levelled, crowned and polished. And I've got to get rid of the gloss on the back of the neck. A new pickguard would be nice, I don't really like seeing all that white. Maybe a clear one to show off the burst? Stay tuned for Part 2!

Underworld, lewstherin006 and Leuchty like this.
  2. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

A clear pick guard isn't going to show off anything but a huge ugly route. That neck is just weird. Never saw a maple neck that was 2 piece like that.

3. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Strats originally only had 3-way switches. It wasn't until after years of famous players like Mark Knopfler finding ways to jam the switch into the "in-between" positions that Fender decided to just load them with 5-ways. You could try jamming it into those positions, or just dropping in a 5-way yourself. They aren't expensive.

Regarding the middle pup getting in the way, I've always just lowered the middle pup on guitars with pickguards until they're flush with the pickguard itself. I like the tone that way, and it gets it out of the way completely.

And yeah, a clear pickguard would be a bad idea. Strats aren't like LPs, whose PGs serve only to... well, guard the body against pick scratches. On strats, they also cover the routes for the pickups and the electronics. If you check out Warmoth's site, you'll see they differentiate between Top route and rear route options, with rear route being the way to go if you want to be able to take off the guard without leaving gaping holes all over the place.

HNGD all things told, though. Everyone should have a strat.

4. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

COngrats bro!

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

6. 101

101 SS.org Regular

I agree that neck is really odd. Looks like they randomly paired plainsawn pieces at the factory.

7. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Yep, pretty much. :lol: But for $120 what do you want? (in the North, that's like 60 bucks anywhere else. Dinner for two at a restaurant costs more)

I've looked under the pickguard and the holes aren't that bad. The white bothers me way more because it covers up the good along with the bad. I've seen clear pickguard strats before, and I like the aesthetic of them. Kind of a modern vintage thing. I've got a package of stuff on the way including a clear pickguard and a 5-way switch. Gonna be fun!