Ormsby Karl Sanders "V-Gypt"

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by frogman81, Jun 10, 2019.

1. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

Attached Files:

2. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

^goddamn niiiice. would be nice if SD had made him a custom invader for that multiscale.

3. narad

narad Owned a Zune

I can't wait to see what Perry comes up with what Dylan comes up with next.

4. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

that flamed neck !!!!!!

5. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Just isn't the same without pointed-dildo-stock

coffeeflush and LordIronSpatula like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

oh not this shit again. We already mucked up the Daemoness thread with this. Dylan doesn't have a fucking monopoly on hieroglyphics or medieval woodcut art. The approaches to the artwork are completely different even if they share similarly broad styles.

PunkBillCarson and stevexc like this.
  7. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

You're right man, he came up with this stuff all himself, and it's completely different since different techniques were used. Total coincidence a superior builder was doing it first. If there's one thing Ormsby is known for, it's originality, and people should start giving them the respect they've earned.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

I'm not trying to defend Ormsby here, I'm just stating that the approaches are completely different, and that aspect should matter significantly more than the subject matter, which may be unique to luthiery, but not to the visual arts in general. Egyptian themed works and woodcut inspired work are relatively common in the visual arts (see the work of Bernie Wrightson for a modern take on it).
    The themes are pretty broad so I don't get why everyone wants to latch onto that particular aspect when the execution and overall approach to making theme builds is wildly different between the two companies. They have diametrically opposed design philosophies imo.
    Dylan is essentially the best draftsman and artisan in the luthier business besides maybe ervin somogyi imo. He does the overwhelming majority of his work by hand (barring certain inlays like the SVMMONR which he had laser cut) and consistently puts out original compositions/inlays/theme builds
    When Dylan did the Egypt builds he painted/burned the images on by hand, went through the trouble to find a fretboard that worked with the theme (just like he did with the viking build) and puts in so many other little touches like his electronics cavity artwork.

Orsmby probably slapped a royalty free photo into his laser cutter and cut them onto the body. He previously used Hans Holbein's woodcut work for his Dance of Death guitar, and he copied an image from a 19th century children's bible (Bible Stories for Little Children by Benzinger Bros) of David beheading Goliath.

9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Because no one cares that the execution is different—the one company wouldn't be doing any variation of the execution if it hadn't seen the other one doing it first. It's something super specific to that company that I don't really see associated with any other.

The only "design philosophy," I see in Ormsby's work is to copy what's already popular.

Razerjack, Jason B and Rotatous like this.
  10. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Always a fun time when the Daemoness circle-jerkers come out.
    Anyone else notice the low E doesn't sit in the nut properly?

TimmyPage, Jason B, Nlelith and 2 others like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I mean, Karl Sanders is a known Egyptophile and it was probably his idea to do this. :shrug:

[​IMG]

Deep Blue, watson503 and setsuna7 like this.
  12. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

I haven't ready previous comments about the Ormsby/Daemoness design copies...but I did immediately think Daemoness when I saw this guitar.

Doesn't bother me any, though. Great looking guitar and the design and construction look top notch. The laser cut isn't my favorite method just because it looks...bland. A bit more contrast would be nice, but that might be nitpicking it a bit. Nice guitar. 9.5/10 would tap

13. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

^^Yeah I saw this on instagram and thought Daemoness too. That was just my initial reaction, and yeah that low E string is about to pop on out of that nut. I'm less impressed, but it is a pretty cool idea. What I really like is the scalloped fretboard. Those are always gnarly to bend strings on, and just play in general, I think.

14. Dayn

Dayn silly person

It's not like Karl Sanders is suddenly going to want a Sumerian cuneiform guitar...

Randy likes this.
  15. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Like i get that you all like Daemoness here, and I get that Ormsby is kind of a hack, but lets be real here isn't the Cimmerian a slightly modified RG the Hadian is basicaly a rhoads the Chronicler is a straight up LP and the Confessor is a king V... so does Daemoness owe ibanez, jackson and gibson an apology or can people copy each-other a little bit and get away with it? I mean body shapes are a bit more of a major thing than slight similarities in the finish that goes on the body don't you think?

Jeff and stevexc like this.
  16. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I might be a little late, but how is it that Ormbsy is considered a hack?

A-Branger and Matt08642 like this.
  17. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Ive heard him described as an Australian Jeff Kiesel, not sure how much of what he does is just banter but there's that. There's also that he named his blackmachine copy the hypemachine, which seems a bit on the nose.

18. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Never really paid attention to Daemoness before but are those actually the model names? That's hilarious.

Matt08642 likes this.
  19. narad

narad Owned a Zune

If you're a guitar builder and designer, and your most popular design is stolen from another builder, and then built by other people in Korea, I think you qualify as a hack.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Having followed Karl and his music for awhile, that guitar is 100% his design. He just happened to get it from Ormsby.

stevexc, Masoo2, Viginez and 2 others like this.