Ormsby guitar value

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JP Universe, Jun 3, 2020.

1. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

Hi guys, back into the guitar game and double checking prices before jumping in.

Thought a couple Ormsby at 1-2k based on last results seemed interesting (low?) used to have a high end ormsby and might jump in back to an OT?

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  2. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Hey Matt. The $1-2K range is the MIK GTR series. I don't think any of the made in Australia one's would go that low.

Hope that helps.

Edit: https://reverb.com/item/5114282-ormsby-sx-custom-2015 this one actually is below 2K which is interesting. I assume its because the asthetics aren't for everyone haha.

MAJ Meadows SF and JP Universe like this.
  3. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

Yeah the edit threw me off. That price point is where i’m digging around

4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Price is probably for the finish yes...and I wouldn't even mind it TBH, but those frets don't really look very good though.

Musiscience likes this.
  5. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

I kinda liked the looks and really loved the prices on the new Hype GTX guitars and almost pulled the trigger on one a couple of times. Looks like a great mod platform.

They are their new ultra-affordable (Chinese made) line.

No ss frets or hipshot gear on these but at around $570 a good deal.

[​IMG]

6. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    HEY!!! That’s a username I haven’t seen in a while! Welcome back dude.

Ormsby’s are not stupid expensive to begin with, and I think they hold a little more value than other custom shop guitars on the used market. KxK, sadly, do not resell well but if you know how good they are you would be snagging them for a steal right now. That dragon burst SX has been for sale for a long while hence the huge price drop. It isn’t multiscale and it might seem meh to some folks, but even I’ve been tempted to grab it. There’s so many new semi-customs that pop up that nobody has been able to flip them for higher than retail, for lack of a better word. Which I think is good. I own enough GTRs and a custom SX that I can qualify as a shill whore, but I’ve never had a bad experience. I think a used custom in the $1-2k range is a steal, and a $2-3k custom is a sweetheart deal as well. Be mindful of import prices with the GTRs; I always base their value off the original Ormsby price and then add $150 to ship plus customs cost to determine the worth.

mphsc and Vegetta like this.
  7. brett8388

brett8388 SS.org Regular

100% recommend Ormsby guitars. I have 1 custom shop and another being built, and 8 of the GTR series. The only issue I've ever had is an irritating hum that is fixed with copper shielding tape or about $30 with a tech. I have realized I'm not an 8 string player though so I sold one of my Ormsby 8's for exactly what I paid for it a year later - says a lot for the brand I think when you can buy one new, try it, and sell it for nearly what you paid later. Good quality / good value.

A-Branger likes this.
  8. sojorel

sojorel Scourge

The GTRs can be bought off Ebay, or the company itself is apparently making their own store for in stock models. It isn't up yet though.

I think your old snakewood hype is up for grabs too:
    https://reverb.com/item/33384734-ormsby-custom-shop-hype-6-2014-snakewood

If you join the facebook group there is also a thread for people to sell used ones, and you can pick up a GTR for around $1000-1500 depending on the model. Lots of people have unrealistic prices for used though, knocking $100 off the retail price.

9. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I actually think the paint is cool, but I'd have to play that before buying it after seeing the pics of the frets. I imagine that might be turning off a lot of people.