Orange OR15 in-depth demo/review!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Feb 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

As some of you may already know, I'm a huge tube amp fanatic and I have a love for small lunchbox amps. I have a bunch of the low-wattage Orange amps and I really dig them. They absolutely have their own 'signature' Orange sound but if you're into that you'll love those amps. I've had the OR15 for quite a while so it was time for an in-depth demo and review.

The main aesthetic difference between the other smaller Orange amps is the fact that it has that classic orange headshell. It has such a familiar look, that's why this one is my favorite in terms of design. It just looks like the bigger amps but just smaller. The control layout is very simple as with most other Orange amps. What I like about that is that the tonal variences come from things like the amount of gain, the cab, how you play it, the guitar you use etc. more so than your regular bass, mid and treble controls. The EQ on these amps is quite subtle so you have to be creative in other ways to get more from this amp. That is, if you need anything more because the pure tone of this amp is pretty great if you're into that sort of tone.

It's only 15 watts so it may not be loud enough for everybody who would want to use it on stage. It's still pretty loud though. More than loud enough for in my studio and it sounds really good through my Orange PPC212. If you have Orange amps but not an Orange cab, I would highly recommend trying your Orange through one of those cabs because it sounds HUGE!

The variable wattage settings are cool but I always have mine set to the maximum power setting. I'd rather not comprimise the tone of this amp and the master volume control is sensitive enough anyway.

Ok so, for the demo I used 12 different guitars. I also put some 7 and 8-string bits in there but most of it is 6-string. I used a tube-screamer in some segments to see what that would do and it did turn out great sounding imho! So without further ado, here is the demo:

Who else loves their Oranges? Which one do you have and what sort of tones do you like to get from it? (aside from just DOOM?? j/k)

Wolfhorsky, viifox, Nik/ and 2 others like this.
  2. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Awesome! I've just ordered another OR15, which will be my 3rd. I just keep returning to it. It's my favourite Orange amp, and I've owned Micro Terror, Micro Dark, Tiny Terror, TH30, and Rockerverb II.
    The OR15 just has the sweetest tone, can cover any genre, and sounds absolutely menacing with a boost.

I've got a ZW44 waiting for it, as I believe Orange amps work best with an SD-1 type boost. But I've also ordered an Airis Effects TS Pre to try out with it, as before I ran a Fortin Grind/33 with the OR15, and it was devastating!

I also have an Orange Stamp on the way for a new fly rig I'm working on. Literally counting the days for them both to arrive!

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

Nice, OP! I have an Orange Dual Terror. Got it years ago. I remember having a real hard time deciding between the Dual Terror Head and the Tiny Terror Combo. They were both new the last time I was in the market for a new amp. I went with the head and cab (Orange 1x12) and this has become the backbone of my setup. I have a million pedals (obvious exaggeration) but have recently stripped my pedalboard down to just a Boss SD-1 and a boss tu-3 tuner. I get cool Dio-era black sabbath tones when tuned to E flat.

I might get a different cab someday, but even at 15 watts of half power it is stupid loud with the single speaker cabinet. OP, have you tried the new open back vertical 2x12 by Orange? I've got my eyes on that one, but am skeptical that I'll jive with an open back cabinet. Anyways, thanks for sharing your OR15!!!

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I've always been curious about this amp. How does it compare to the CR120?

Guitarjon and Bentaycanada like this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Very cool! Let us know how that stamp sounds! It's such a cool concept.

The Dual Terror is such an amazing amp, I really love mine. The tones are so solid and huge. Great for all genres. I want to make an in-depth demo of mine soon.

I haven't tried the vertical Orange 2x12 but I'm not really into open back cabs tbh. I really really love the sound of my PPC212 though. It sounds unbelievably huge!

I haven't tried that amp but I have heard very good things about it. The YouTube demos are promising as well! I wouldn't expect it to sound the same though. I would expect the OR15 to sound more dynamic and since it has a low wattage the power tubes will start to saturate and compress pretty soon compared to a 120w solid state amp.

viifox likes this.