Orange hair metalness

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by foreright, Jan 26, 2021.

1. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Just pulled the below out of the attic. It was bought for me back in the mid 2000s by my girlfriend at the time as I had a bright orange Charvette in the late 80s as my first ever guitar and I regretted selling it (for a Japanese Squier Strat which I still do have). This was a Christmas present one year. It's been sitting up there for the last 8 years or so since we moved into this house and I thought it was time it was liberated from its case. It's in surprisingly good condition with no chips or dings anywhere that I can see and has silly low action although it *really* needs a string change and actually probably does need a fret level in places.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about these? I'm guessing it's a pretty low end model from the time - the pickups are pretty "meh" from what I can tell but the licensed Floyd Rose is a Schaller. In fact, looking at the pickups it actually has 3 singles but with two together forming a kinda pseudo-humbucker which is odd.

d7ZdbRe.jpg VUP1CQ3.jpg iZArLTQ.jpg jo7NBg3.jpg wMttcZb.jpg FFp119P.jpg LTOOBT3.jpg nYe7RvV.jpg

2. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

My brain saw "(Orange-hair) Metalness" and not "Orange (Hair-metalness). It seems tRump has infected everything.

aesthyrian, groverj3, mlp187 and 3 others like this.
  3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Reminds me a lot of an old Charvel of mine, which was also orange, but on a flamed veneer, and HSS.
    One of my favorite guitars of all time actually! Silly low action as well!

Now what am I missing though...of course it doesn't have any dings or chips! it's been in a case for years :lol:

4. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

It was played quite a few years as my main guitar before it went up into the attic but clearly whoever had it before me looked after it pretty well also. I've actually removed the strings and neck and taped it up ready for fret levelling off the back of this. I'd love to have the time to replace the frets with SS and drill the dots out and fill them with orange mica powder + epoxy / CA but I think that'll have to wait for a while with working and home schooling the kids :)

5. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

That is awesome! I don’t know anything about it other than it looks super cool!

6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Oh yes

7. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Man, I don't know why more Floyd-equipped guitars don't have allen key holders behind the headstock. Seems pretty damn practical to me.

8. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Been doing some more research on this beast and it looks like it's a Charvel 275 from 1990/91 (due to bridge being single locking Schaller rather than Jackson's own for the earlier models). I have done a fret level and string change to 9s instead of my usual 10s. Action is just as near as damnit 1mm on the high E and a smidge over 1mm on the low E at the 22nd fret with no buzzing or choking anywhere that I've been able to find which is quite a bit lower than any of my other guitars. The neck feels really wide and thin I'm guessing due to the profile and I love everything about it except... the pickups sound like ass. Actually that's a little unfair as their clean tone is quite nice but they seem to be REALLY low output. Maybe that's because I'm used to higher output stuff but anyway.

The allen key holder behind the headstock is quite convenient for playing at home - as you say, you always have the right tool to hand - but I guess if you're gigging or whatever it's less useful as you don't typically start faffing around with allen keys on stage! I guess that's why it's not really a "thing". I seem to remember on my Charvette which had one it was REALLY loose and the keys rattled around or fell out so I tended to just keep them in the case haha. The holder on this one is tighter than a duck's butt though.

9. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Not a Jackson or Charvel enthusiast, but damn that's a beautiful guitar!