Orange CR120 (SS) / Dark terror dilemma

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Simic, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hey. I need some advice regarding my next purchase. I have a zilla fatboy 2x12 (V30 + H creamback loaded) coming here in a week or two and seeing as I just sold my Peavey 6505+ combo I'm looking for a new head to compliment the fatboy.

Thing is, I'm on a budget. I really want an Orange so I did some research and came across this solid-state CR120 head, which has awesome reviews all around the internet. It's pretty affordable plus, it sounds really good on all the reviews which makes me really interested in grabbing it. If I do go down this route, I'll probably grab a Dual Dark when funds become available for more brutal stuff since the CR120 isn't really voiced for metal IMO (judging from the yt videos, didn't even take Fluff's one into account since he makes every amp sounds metal). I also like the CR120 because I only play in my room at low volumes, and from what I understand, solid state amps handle lower volumes better than tube amps.

The dark terror mini-amp however, sits at about the same price as the CR120 and is pretty brutal on it's own - capable of giving me the metal sound that I'm looking for without the need to upgrade to a Dual dark later on (dual dark was made after the dark terror anyway).
    Do you think it's a better idea to grab this over the CR120 and then eventually grab a Rockerverb or something like that for more versatility (and a clean channel)?

Or am I better off just grabbing the CR120 for now and then adding a Dual Dark or even a Thunderverb later, for more gainy stuff...?

Thanks in advance :)

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I personally preferred the CR120 over the Dark Terror or #4 Terror I tried out. That was using both Terrors through a Mesa V30 cab and the CR120 combo, as well. The CR120 sounded tighter and had a better clean channel, while the Dark Terror was loose and fizzy for me. The #4 sounded a lot like the CR120, but I couldn't crank it, so I couldn't get it to sound as good as the CR120.

Also, the CR120 has TONS of gain. It'll go metal no problem, but won't sound as tight or modern as the Dual Dark. Neither would the Dark Terror, IMO.

3. thesockmonster

thesockmonster SS.org Regular

CR120's not bad for a SS amp. That being said, you'll take a hit on resale, as they're not in-demand. Will set you back if the plan is to run a temp amp and upgrade later.

Dark Terror will meet your wants AND needs. Pick up a used one, and enjoy. Way I see it...do it right, or do it again. You can't go wrong with the DT.

4. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

I don't mean to resell either (unless I hate it). I've not problem owning more than 1 Orange :)

Also, thanks a lot for your input JazzHands, I don't have the option to try either, so I have to rely on YT vids which are misleading most of the time.

Looks like CR120 is the way to go here. I also have a chance to pick up a used Rocker 30 for about the same price but I know I won't like it because it's too vintage voiced, although ppl over at orange forums consider it to be the holy grail of tone...

CR120 should handle bedroom levels with no problem, correct? Meaning it will sound good at low volumes :D

Thanks

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

In your case, I'd keep both as you planned. Use the CR120 for home and/or practice, and use the Rockerverb/Dual Dark for gigs, recording and whatnot. You MAY want to use a Tubescreamer or something in front to tighten up the gain if you really want to get something modern. Hell, even with the Rockerverb or Dual Dark, you might need to do that.

And the CR120 should be perfectly fine at low volumes. It got plenty loud when I accidentally turned it on with the volume cranked. :rofl:

I think you'd like the Dual Dark, though. From what I can tell from videos, it's one of the brighter and tighter-sounding Oranges, next to the Rockerverb.

6. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm definitely grabbing a dual dark and/or a rocker/thunderverb in the future. Just need something orangey for now and the CR120 seems like a worthy option, and the cleans are pretty nice (which is kinda useful if I am to pair it with a dual dark that has 2 channels ment for gain).

Another option that occured to me is to grab a micro terror instead of CR120, but I have a feeling it won't do what I need, even with an OD pedal (and the cost of both combined brings me into CR120 ballpark anyway)...

Thoughts?

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

The Micro Terror sounded really good, but it's definitely not a metal amp. It's more vintage-voiced and doesn't have as much gain on tap as the CR120 or the Dark Terror.

8. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

CR120 it is in than :) Thanks for the help

9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I'm finding that I almost never use my modded SD-1 with the Dual Dark, especially on Channel B. The shape control gets things pretty tight. It is definitely modern flavored, but still distinctly Orange. Channel B being the more modern and Channel A more classic. I liked my Dark Terror for certain things, but modern metal was never something it sounded good for. The Dual Dark really benefits from the increased wattage. Great a low volumes as well due to the attenuator. It also has a sickening amount of gain. I really don't go over 2 o'oclock on either channel.

10. Zeriton

Zeriton SS.org Regular

I thought the CR120 sounded alright. I'm not huge on it though. All the terrors I've played sound great and can certainly have enough gain and headroom. It's just because most are single channel you have to choose...

That plus the lack of effects loop is annoying.

Personally I'd take the terror. Means when you do go for an upgrade you've got a nice lil' practice amp to use.

11. Mmcgrouty

Mmcgrouty SS.org Regular

I love my Dark Terror. I've never played the CR120, but I'd like to check it out.

12. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Why are you so specifically fixated on Orange? They are a good brand but tend to not be very versatile and they are generally not voiced for what the typical SSO member goes for (both IMHO; I know some people do love them). But, If you were to consider other options you'd probably end up with better tones without breaking your budget.

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Tiny and Micro Terror amps have no FX loop, but the Dark Terror has one :yesway: