opinions on the Evertune bridge

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sleewell, Nov 11, 2019.

1. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

I have a Balaguer Thicket BB with an Evertune. To be honest I loved it at first, then I got into 7s and hadn't played it much recently. I restrung it this weekend and set it up in drop C. I instantly remembered what I loved about it. To me it basically feels identical to a hard tail bridge but the guitar will never go out of tune. There seems to be some confusion online regarding the two "modes". One you can bend and vibrato as normal, the other you can't which comes in handy for recording multi track rhythm guitars where you need perfect tuning - but it is very easy and quick to change between the two modes. Even changing tuning is really not that hard once you get the hang of it.

I kept going back to it all weekend and it was perfectly in tune each time. I even let my young kids beat it down for a while and still perfect tuning. Now I am looking for a 7 with an Evertune lol!!!!!!

Curious what people here think about them.... love or hate them?

2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I hated mine for a little while but it’s growing on me. The biggest issue is I can’t get subtle vibrato unless the saddles are perfectly in zone 2, juuuuussst below zone 3.

And to get it juuussst right, I find i have to adjust the tuners just as often as i had to tune the guitar before installing the ET.

Bottom line, i think it’s a great tool to have in a studio but, for 90% of people it would be better to get a guitar that just inherently stays in tune better.

When i pick up a regular fixed bridge guitar now, it’s so nice to have an immediate response from the instrument when i throw even the mildest of bends or vibrato at it.

Evertune should make “saddles” for piano. That would be the perfect application of the ET system imo.

3. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Always seems to me that it is a very complicated solution to a very simple problem. I like the feel of it when Im doing palm mutes. But to me, getting a guitar with a floyd rose and locking it, makes more sense.

Bearitone likes this.
  4. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

When I got my first evertune guitar, I thought I don't want any other bridge ever again.

This feeling lasted for more than a year or so.
    Now that I've played it for a couple of years, I think it is still the best bridge I've ever played. But I will allow myself to buy guitars with other bridges as well.

sleewell likes this.
  5. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

interesting posts, valid points for sure. i noticed mine liked things a lot more when i went to lower tunings and lighter strings. i was not as impressed in standard with 10s as i am in drop C with 9s.

6. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

The way it stays in tune is by slightly changing the string length.

On paper, it seems like while the guitar will always be in tune, the intonation will always be off.

No one talks about intonation on the evertune. That concerns me. Many ppl cant really hear when intonation is off. Is the evertu e for ppl with bad ears?

c7spheres likes this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Oh really?, I get it now. That would drive me insane. Glad I haven't got one yet.

8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

Yes, Devin Townsend has terrible ears. Have you played one or did you just come up with this by reading about it online?

My understanding is that it's a series a springs that stretch and the strings stay the same length. It's different from a floyd in that each string is independent of each other.

9. Lindmann

The incredebly good intonation is one of the reasons I prefer the Evertune over other bridges.

With regular bridges you have to file the nut very carefully when increasing the string gauge.
    At least when good intonaton matters to you.
    (and on top of that: going back to much lighter strings is only possible by replacing the nut)
    So in a way this is only a problem that occurs when tuning down.

With the evertune, filiing the nut isn't that important anymore, because the hight of the nut slot does not alter the tension. You only have to care about the slot width.
    So regardless of whereever on the fretboard you are fretting, you will always hit the center of the note. Not a few cents more. Not a few cents less.

Playing chords is so much more fun, when the intonation is perfect.
    I am not saying that this isn't possible with regular bridges as well...but you have to pay a lot of attention to it while evertune is just plug and play.

(with my TOM bridged Schecter Hellraiser ist was a pain in the ass to get the intonation right. There was alway a spot on the fretboard where the note wasn't hit accurately)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    c7spheres and sleewell like this.
  10. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Gibson Guitars need Evertunes. That's for sure.

sleewell likes this.
  11. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i agree with this post. i think intonation is way better with an evertune. it's really eye opening, i guess ear opening lol, to hear chords all over the fret board sound right on every single time you pick up the guitar.

c7spheres likes this.
  12. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i recently saw an aftermarket string tree which aligned the strings better that people swore by for their Gibbys. Didnt get to play one so I cant say for sure one way or the other but it seemed like a good idea and was certainly much cheaper.

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I'm not sure that makes sense. You set the intonation, then, the bridge saddle moves to KEEP you in tune, when you'd normally go out of tune (when you increase the string tension by bending or playing aggressively). So yes, it moves...but it moves to keep it in tune. Think of it like a CVT transmission adjusting to keep your RPM as a set speed, while your car accelerates.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    zenonshandro, Rev2010, Ribboz and 2 others like this.
  14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Evertune in no way effects intonation.

If you want to use it as a tool to help you when you file a not slot too shallow (incorrectly) i guess it works for that but, yeah the ET does literally nothing more for intonation than any other bridge on the market.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Well I wouldn't say it's that black and white. Setting your intonation properly involves a fairly precise level of pressure when fretting the string. Evertune absorbs inconsistencies in pressure, so as mentioned before you are always at the center of the note. So indirectly it definitely improves intonation.

zenonshandro, c7spheres and sleewell like this.
  16. Lindmann

I've seen it so many times where a guitarist played a horribly out of tune sounding guitar just because of incorrectly filed nuts.
    Life could have been so much easier for these guys.

sleewell likes this.
  17. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I think they are a meme

18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Don’t fret it like a gorilla when setting your intonation and you’re fine. If you hear something is off then you’re a screw turn away from adjusting it.

And where is the ET improving your intonation? The 12th fret at best. Without true temperament you’re only getting perfect intonation at 0 and 12 regardless of the bridge you use.

I’m not shitting on the ET for what it was actually designed to do. It does it’s job VERY well. I know because i own one. I’m just saying if you’re expecting improved intonation, you aren’t going to get it.

If you do, you’re only getting it at the 12th fret and you’re sacrificing subtle vibrato to do so unless you set that saddle dead-fucking-nuts perfect.

Guess how often you’re going to have to adjust your tuning keys to get it there? Just as often as you had to to retune your guitar before you installed the bridge.

If you want perfect intonation, get true temperament.

Want perfect nut height? Get a guitar with a zero fret and a Plek job.

19. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Depending on which zone you are in, the string length will be different.

If you keep cranking the tuner, the note doesn't change, BUT the length of the string changes. Until you hit the next zone, then the note changes.

So, as you crank the tuner, tension increases, but the length increases. The note is kept the same, but is it really the same, in every way?

Answer...No. The harmonic nodes are in different places.

A perfectly intonated string, the nodes align with the frets. So when you pluck a note, it is evenly divisible. The note itself sounds more correct.

The point I'm making is that the fundamental tone may be correct, but the harmonics can be off by variable/ambiguous amounts depending on where the tuner is set.

Some people can hear that and care about it.

zenonshandro and c7spheres like this.
  20. Lindmann

Not only on the 12th fret.
    My Evertune guitar is the only guitar I ever had that hits each note dead center on every single fret.
    With other bridges you have to quote unquote "file that nut dead-fucking-nuts perfect"

In my case: Once or twice a year maybe.
    The reason is that I don't need to be right in the transition from zones 2 to 3.
    I noticed that being quite a bit further in zone 2 is perfectly fine.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019