Opinions on the 1980's Ibanez RoadStar II Series?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by -One-, Aug 2, 2015.

1. -One-

-One- Not So Kool-Aid

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't bought a six-stringed guitar in almost a decade, and am way out-of-the-loop on six-strings. Recently, I was offered a 1986 Ibanez RoadStar II RG450BK, but I haven't gotten a chance to toy around with it yet, and haven't made the purchase. Does anyone here have an 80's RoadStar? What do you think of them? I'm planning on using this guitar in a few non-metal projects, namely an all clean vocals post-hardcore band, and a post rock project. Would this guitar suit my needs, and is it of high enough quality to warrant looking at?

2. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

It has an Edge trem so that's a win, but it will not have the modern Ibanez feel that we are all used to. The neck will be rounder than any of the wizard necks. Also, the edge is not recessed into the body so you will not be able to pull up much. I'm sure the neck heel is bulkier than you would expect on an Ibanez, as well.

I would say that is comes down to how well maintained the guitar is(is the edge pitted and rusted to hell?) and whether you prefer more of a classic start type feel with some modern additions, or would rather have the complete modern super strat. I'm not sure, but I believe those were made in Japan, and that's a good thing if true. I got the chance to play a very similar model a few months back, and even though it was different than any Ibanez I own, I still thought it played very well, and seemed to be made well too.