Opinions on Behringer pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 8stringinsanity, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 8stringinsanity

8stringinsanity Member

After getting my Peavey Vypyr tube head and being, well, MORE than satisfied with how it handles my 8 string, and plus having really awesome tone, Ive been looking to purchase simply a Noise Gate/Supressor and an EQ pedal.

I've looked around and basically what I've come to is the Boss noise supressor and either the Boss EQ or the MXR 10-band EQ (most likely the MXR).

However a friend of mine suggested I go and get Behringer pedals, seeing as they do the same stuff just for WAY cheaper. Everywhere Ive gone Ive heard bad things about Behringer, but the new recording mics he got worked well and sounded incredible, and another shared friend of ours has a Bugera 333XL (Bugera = Behringer for those who don't know) and theres been no problems with it.

Long story short: Is it just an urban myth that Behringer is unreliable?

And if anybody has actually had experience with the Behringer noise gates (either model) or EQ, I would greatly appreciate your opinion!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If it was my cash I'd pick up a Boss NS-2 and MXR 10-Band on the used market. They're readily available and pretty damn cheap.

Though Behringer pedals aren't too bad. They're somewhat flimsy and do break every once in awhile, but Behringer has a pretty good warranty/exchange policy, so it's pretty painless when something does break, if it even breaks.

In b4 OMG THY STEELZ DEZINEZ!!! :lol:

3. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

Avoid all things Behringer, except maybe the FCB1010

4. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Used boss or isp noise gate and mxr 6band EQ.

5. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

I've owned a few Behringer items (FCB1010, dual 31-band EQ, etc), and I haven't had any issues with those. But, I've also owned a couple pedals (tuner, delay, and a couple others), and they were absolute garbage. Not horrible sounding, but if you're heavy footed (like I am), like to switch them a lot, or don't/can't take amazing care with them, they WILL break.

You get what you pay for, honestly. I won't say that you shouldn't but Behringer, but I will tell you to be cautious. I was more than happy with the dual 31-band EQ (besides the two knobs that broke off for no reason) and the FCB1010 (for the entire 3 weeks I owned it). But, on the other hand, I was extremely pissed with any pedals I bought. Maybe they're better now (my experiences are a couples years old).

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Owned the US600 and FCV100.

The US600 did its job kind of well for the price, but was VERY noisy when used with a power supply. And if you went the battery route, it would eat them up pretty damn fast. And after a month, it started to fall apart; the tip in the inside that was suppose to press the button on the inside snapped off (which was actually not bad, considering you could fix with some strong glue). After a few weeks, though, the hinge snapped and pretty much made the pedal useless... :noway:
    I'd say find an old used Digi Whammy instead; may cost a bit more, but would be worth it more over time.

The FCV100 in volume mode was pretty much useless. It sucked so much tone out of your sound and lowered the output even when the pedal wasn't even in use. It was a pretty good expression pedal, though. Only complaints were the awkward positioning and a very slight delay. Kind of a "meh" pedal.

FWIW, you should try Danelectro instead of Behringer. I have the FAB delay, and it does its job REALLY well. Not noisy at all, and the plastic was WAY thicker then the Behringer pedal. VERY solid feeling for being a $25 piece of plastic. :yesway:

Judging from both of our experiences, I'd disagree. Mine was fairly recent (since Christmas), and it pretty much broke apart after a month or so... :scream:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Well, I will not be the first telling you to stay clear from Behringer. Perhaps okay for bedroom guitar players, but gigging....no.

If I were you, I'd invest in something that lasts a lifetime and Boss pedals last. And they aren't that expensive really. Try to find a used one, it will be as good as a new one.

8. 8stringinsanity

8stringinsanity Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate everyone's replies, and now I know which route to go.

9. robotsatemygma

robotsatemygma myspace.com/pygar1

I had a Behringer EQ pedal for a brief period... picked it up for like $20 used.

I found out quickly why I got it used for $20.

Avoid.

On the other hand the Bugera stuff isn't too shabby at all. I'd gladly grab another when cash permits.

10. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

well i have a boss ns-2 and it is really good but the behringer noise gate is mega cheap so tbh might be worth trying the behringer and if you don't like it you haven't lost a lot. But if you do you have made a huge saving. i also have a 333xl and it sounds amazing and has given me no problems yet. bear in mind the behringer has a plastic shell but with a gate you tend to turn it on and leave it.

11. IAMLORDVADER

IAMLORDVADER progressive insanity

Behringer guitar pedals stay well away imo, owned several guitar related products and they all were either crap or craped out, thier microphones however are extremely good for the price and i also own the behringer daw controller whitch is a niftly piece of gear

12. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

they make a compressor and a phase90 that are metal cased.
    idk why they dont make others like them.

i wont buy pedals that are plastic

those are toys for children

13. themike

themike Chug Life

The only Behringer pedal I would ever use is the FCB - other than that, PASS.

14. themike

themike Chug Life

The only Behringer pedal I would ever use is the FCB - other than that, PASS.

15. longi

longi SS.org Regular

I had an Echo Machine and it was really bad, the repeats themselves were good but it had other issues. I don't think it was working properly. I also use the CO600 Chorus Orchestra, (Boss Chorus Ensemble clone.) My experience couldn't be more different. It's excellent, it's every bit as good as the Boss pedal and it's not given me any problems either. For the record I own both the Boss and the Behringer pedals and it only cost me £15.85 new!