Opinions on Avid Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by neuk01642, Jul 21, 2019.

1. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

hey all
    Looking to pick up a cheap, older generation modeller for shits and giggles and to save my tube amp from some punishment when I’m just noodling or writing.
    The options are something like the Avid as mentioned above, the Digitech GSP 2101, maybe a Line 6 POD of some description.
    I’ve got a Randall 667 I absolutely love but retuning it is a bitch so I want to be able to give it a breather.
    I’d look at the Neural DSP stuff or Helix Native but my MAC is an old fella and doesn’t like have shit loads of instances of an modelling running at anyone time.

So what are you mr thoughts people. I’ve got a line on an Eleven rack for £190 and could probably get it lower

Thanks in advance.

Matt

skmanga likes this.
  2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'd say don't bother. I'd put that money towards something newer like a Yamaha THR10, Boss Katana, Atomic Amplifirebox, HX Stomp etc.

Merrekof and USMarine75 like this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

It's cheap but modeling is pretty outdated at this point. If you don't need it as an audio interface and it doesn't have to be a rack unit, used Atomic Amplifire 3 is one of the best bang for the buck modelers right now. There is one at Reverb for 300€.

4. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

The weakest point of the Eleven Rack is the cab modeling (IR’s). The amp models are actually very good. If you run it in a DAW and use an IR loader with the cab models turned off on the 11R you might be surprised.

I have one and use it for reamping and recording. I have other plugins I prefer but I’ll sometimes use the built in modeling and effects for practice or scratch tracks.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I bought one for exactly this. The cabinet models are the weakest point but they're honestly pretty decent. They are convolution based, you just can't load your own. Overall the sound is good. They're super cheap nowadays. Would recommend.

But yeah any modern modeling stuff is probably gonna be good too.

Spinedriver likes this.
  6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Honestly, between the GSP, 11R or Pod X3/HD all you need is to run it into something like a Two Notes CAB M, Mooer Radar (or similar ir loading box) and you'll have a genuinely decent sounding unit. It's like the others have said, the onboard "cabs" are the real weak point in the tone chain, so all you have to do is turn off the cab sim and run the output into an ir loader (the fx loop could also work) and you'll be good to go.

I run a Pod X3 into a Mooer Radar and even though I would love to have a Helix or Kemper, I can get tones I like out of what I have so I can not worry about having to drop over $1k on a new processor just to mess around with at home.

7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

I have an 11R and really love it. Sure it isn't an ax fx, but it is cheap and has some great sounds in it. I have had it for a few years now, and never really used it until I found a line 6 power cab up for sale used. They pair up great. The thing I like about the 11R over some other modelers in that is does the in-between tones pretty well. A lot models can do really good cleans, and brutal distortion but not the mid gain touch sensitive sounds. The 11R is very touch sensitive. It does a good job at feeling like a real amp with real dynamics. You can actually roll the volume knob off on a metal style sound and it cleans up. Dig in hard on a mid gain tone and it distorts a little more, play lighter and it is a little cleaner.

It is also great to have to interface with your DAW. If you want a quick recording setup, this does that. Is it going to beat having a real amp miced up, probably not but it does a good enough job to let you get the idea down and or do a DI track. It is Midi capable which is awesome. You can use it just for the effects and bypass all the other modeling features. I like it because it is portable. If i was touring it'd probably use a power cab, and just run it to the house mixer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VlVFB6p3Wo&t=

Again, it probably won't replace everything you own. I use mine in my living room and keep the big amps in the guitar room. It does sound good enough I wouldn't feel bad about gigging with it.

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Another great thing about it is it has four outputs. When I am writing I run the amp sim output to my interface along with a dry guitar signal, with the intention of reamping. Haven't done it yet but the tracks are there.

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

It’s just for jamming at home so it doesn’t have to be the latest and greatest. I say go for it. If it ultimately leaves you uninspired; you can just run it into Wall of Sound, or get a C.A.B. M to drastically improve the IR’s. Plus you could use the M with your 667 as well.

10. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

I'd check out the GSP1101, been using one for a few years now. Pair it up with some sweet IR's and its pretty kick ass. I mostly use it for recording or plug it in straight into the power section of my Ampeg SS. Here are some of my sound clips.

11. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Still a great studio tool.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.