Opeth's Blackwater Park makes me want to give up

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ryane24, Mar 31, 2017.

1. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

A Celebration of Guilt is their first, We Are The Nightmare is their third.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I didn't say a thing about it not being enjoyable, as I said I've listened to it just as much as those two, the guy just said in the OP "how do you come up with this?!" when the previous two were they already had!

3. caspian

caspian wanderer

Hardly man. I gave it a big shot, I figured "well if I like Isis then surely some vaguely experimental swedish stuff would be up my alley".

They're just a fairly average band, and they should've just went totally prog and stayed that way, considering how superior "to bid you farewell" is compared too basically every other song they've done. Honestly Akerfeldt can't write a cohesive "epic" to save his life.

4. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Nah, it just comes across as pretty dickheadish :lol:, as if he couldn't wait to tell someone else that something they find amazing just isn't very good. That era of Opeth was f'n bad ass.

Anyway, Arsis - We are the Nightmare and Russian Circles - Station are definitely the kind of albums that OP is referring to. Gotta agree with budda too. Knight era TBDM was some pretty impressive stuff. Though these albums didn't really make me want to give up, they just inspired me to play more and try harder. Which is what I think good music should do for you.

5. fps

fps Kit

Isis!? Your metal radar is miscalibrated by light years. To Bid You Farewell is a great song but it is not prog, and you really need to open your mind to different kinds of songwriting if you think some of their other tracks don't hang together or work.

6. fps

fps Kit

Fair, I wonder how MAYH would sound with the production style they pushed towards with Still Life and BWP. Would it reveal an even greater similarity? I consider that an angrier record than the two after it, but in part that may be due to the murky, autumnal production, which I utterly adore.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Isis compared to Opeth? Akerfeldt not being able to write an epic hit? Is this a joke?

:nuts:

8. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

I guess he meant BEFORE he heard Opeth he thought they might have some aspects similar to ISIS, so not a direct comparison between both bands, but more about expectations (which in turn can highly bias how you hear a band).

Also, he isn't wrong about how Akerfeldt doesn't really write cohesive songs, but then again, that's not the point he is trying to make when writing a song (there will always be exceptions, of course). Even Martin Lopez in an interview said that just when you think Mike is going right, he suddenly takes a hard left. Thing is, one has to have the belief that there is some virtue in coherence, when in fact, at least for me, there isn't. It's alright if there is, and it's alright if there isn't. I don't particularly write in the most cohesive form, but sometimes it's a risk vs reward concept that one wants to play with. So in this sense, I DO believe Mike writes some SERIOUSLY epic songs, just not ones that are necessarily cohesive.

I think this vid by Colin that was shared in another post puts it in the most beautiful way:

9. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I saw that album played in full back in 2010. :hbang:

10. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

my god, Demon of the Fall for my is the epitome of Opeth writting. All their (old) music encompassed in a 6 minutes song, riff after riff with an ABCDEF-ad eternum structure that only a few bands can work with

now, regarding what the OP says; there are many artist that give me that feeling, not exactly of giving up, but of asking myself just ''how in hell''
    those would be:

-. David Maxim Micic on all Bilo 3.0, because of the huge amalgam of styles and relative domain of all of them, all this while being highly emotional

-. Tigran Hamasyan during The Court Jester, perfect on all fronts. Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, production

-. all of John Williams :lol:

11. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Uh

I want some of what you're smoking if you think any average band can write a song like this

12. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Derek Roddy's drumming made me feel a bit discouraged back in the day lmao, but more than that it still inspired me.

13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Man, too many of you are feeding the troll. :wallbash: Based on his first post he clearly was just trying to do a drive by thread-crapping.

14. ryane24

ryane24 SS.org Regular

Clearly some of y'all are seasoned Opeth fans. If I'm to be honest growing up they were one of those bands that I had like...maybe 5 or 6 of their songs, BWP being the main one that I liked. But since I made this post I've been binging them pretty hard. It's interesting how your whole perception of music can change as you get older.

15. MFB

MFB Banned

I've been on an Opeth kick for like 2 days because of this thread;and yes, I stop at Watershed because I'm not a fool.

16. fps

fps Kit

I stop at Damnation, but accept that's a coupla records too soon for a lot of people.

17. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

"Honestly Akerfeldt can't write a cohesive "epic" to save his life."

LOL

18. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Absolutely. Ghost Reveries is to me their masterpiece.

19. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

:yesway:

20. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

I know it's not the best production, but I love the sound of MAYH. It sounds so sad and depressing. The vocals are mixed in PERFECTLY