Opeth- Sorceress due Sept 30

Pav

???
Reaction score
To me, Ghost Reveries was the pinnacle of Opeth's music for me. After that, I haven't bought anything from them. His Steven Wilson impression has long since gotten old. Like 7StringsofHate said, I don't come to Opeth to hear the 70's.

Really?!?! I thought Watershed was ....ing great, certainly as heavy as anything else they've done. :shrug:

Also, not that my opinion is worth anything, but I absolutely love the new cover art!

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Watershed is dull and bland. I LOVED Ghost Reveries, I think it might be their second best album after MAYH. Watershed, though, just went in one ear and out the other every time I tried to make it through. I never much liked D1/D2, D1 for excessive repetition on Wreath/Deliverance/AFJ/BTPISIO and D2 for being too short and with too many filler tracks (particularly Weakness), but I at least thought they both had a few really memorable songs on them. I've listened to them a LOT of times over the years (while usually skipping Weakness). Watershed didn't really have much that grabbed my attention besides that one awesome riff in the middle of Hessian Peel. It seemed to undo what they did with Ghost Reveries and just kinda combine the worst traits of D1/D2.

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
I'm definitely a weird Opeth 'fan' in that I became interested in them through a mate who is REALLY into metal, where I'm a casually interested metal fan that loves progressive and alternative rock (Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam). Blackwater Park through Ghost Reveries interests me (I love a lot of the songs, but I can't say I know them all well), but Watershed and Pale Communion are absolutely my favourite Opeth albums, because they are just amazing rock albums.

It's the same reason I love Mastodon; everything that my favourite 90s bands did well (and they all seem to have stopped doing it) is stamped all over the most recent Mastodon and Opeth albums.

I know the new stuff is alienating a lot of long-time fans, but it's right up my alley. Pretty sure Pale Communion is the album I've played most often in the last 12 months.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I got into Opeth with Ghost Reveries and I have to agree that that was their last "Opeth-sounding" album. Ghost of Perdition? The Baying of the Hounds? Those songs alone IMO are better than Pale Communion and Heritage combined. There are a few cool songs on those records though - Eternal Rains will Come is a rad opener. I don't think anything on Heritage stuck with me. That might be why people feel the way they do - nothing from those records "stick". I get a different feeling from this record though, Mikael's gotten a lot of that stuff out of his system now, so hopefully he'll return to a more heavy angle...fingers crossed...

Black_Sheep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have lost hope.

I love Opeth, one of the best bands out there, they still kick ass live but their two recent albums... not so much. Watershed was great, Heritage had a few good moments... Pale Communion? nah....

...One thing I really don't get, is that the band had an awesome unique style of music combining death metal with a wide range of other influences, and they went from that to imitating every 70's prog rock band there is or was. Yeah of course bands and their music evolves and it's better than making the same album over and over again... but sometimes they just take the wrong turn.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
I hated everything post Watershed. Mike need to respect what we fans want sometimes, if he really need to get that 70's prog itch going, gone or whatever, do a solo stint like Steve Wilson, get it out of his system, come back to Opeth, give us Opeth back. Not a Camel cover band. I know I will get some hate for saying these things, but I'm disappointed.

My 2 cents anyway..

Razerjack

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The album cover pretty much represents what Opeth is about: Odd beauty founded upon utter brutality.
However, can't bank on this album being any of those things. The material will undoubtedly be good, because, well, Mikael is a genius, but it just won't come together as Opeth.
As progressive as they may be, Opeth had somewhat of a songwriting 'formula' that makes them unique. Advent, The Moor, Ghost Of Predition.... These classics all belong in the same heir.
Now, without the massive sounding riffs, without the epic song structures, and of course the growls...They kind of lost their magic.
Judging by the song titles, this album will be pretty similar to PC in terms of songwriting approach, maybe a tad more heavy metal but still not what Opeth truly needs.

MattThePenguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think there's a single Opeth song I don't like soooo

When you hear the songs live, they stand up there right with the old songs.. because it's Opeth. Opeth sounds like Opeth. I never got the hate honestly. The first two albums I heard were Blackwater Park and Heritage, and I loved them both equally. Come to find out, everyone hates Heritage lol

Only thing that pisses me off is that the closest show is like 10 hours away from me D=

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
And it's not like Opeth have any one sound you can point to either, Orchid doesn't sound like Still Life doesn't sound like Blackwater Park doesn't sound like Watershed doesn't sound like Ghost Reveries doesn't sound like Heritage...

All their albums are distinct from each other and I'll take that over not trying to do anything different for 25 years any day of the week

Pav

???
Reaction score
And it's not like Opeth have any one sound you can point to either, Orchid doesn't sound like Still Life doesn't sound like Blackwater Park doesn't sound like Watershed doesn't sound like Ghost Reveries doesn't sound like Heritage...

All their albums are distinct from each other and I'll take that over not trying to do anything different for 25 years any day of the week
I agree completely. Even if people don't like what they're doing now, I don't think anyone can deny that they've continually grown and evolved since Orchid. Mikael has never been one to write stagnate, repetitive music and I can't help but respect that regardless of what direction Opeth heads.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score

While this is true, basically every album from Morningrise through Watershed sounded like a natural evolution of their sound, so fans were still able to enjoy it. Heritage, however, was a complete left turn. Into a black hole.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Do we know for sure that Sorceress will be another prog rock album or is everyone just speculating?

Sunyata

Bro Story Cool
Reaction score
Mikael is now completely incapable of doing passable death metal vocals. If anyone has seen a live video from 2013 onwards you will know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miZD4e_ct8

This obviously has a huge impact on the type of music a "death metal" band can make. It's better for them to move on to something else than badly attempt to do something they can't do anymore.

chewpac

working up to 7...
Reaction score
Mikael is now completely incapable of doing passable death metal vocals. If anyone has seen a live video from 2013 onwards you will know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miZD4e_ct8

This obviously has a huge impact on the type of music a "death metal" band can make. It's better for them to move on to something else than badly attempt to do something they can't do anymore.

i didn't know it had gotten to that point. puts the last couple albums into perspective, for sure.

mike0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While this is true, basically every album from Morningrise through Watershed sounded like a natural evolution of their sound, so fans were still able to enjoy it. Heritage, however, was a complete left turn. Into a black hole.

was going to say exactly this. i still enjoy some songs off of heritage (i feel the dark particularly, reminds me of something off damnation), but it was a drastic departure from their original sound, whereas everything before followed a logical progression and built upon what their previous albums had sounded like.

i'm still going to listen to the new album with an open mind, but i'm interpreting the fact that they're touring with the sword to mean that it's more of what we've been hearing from them for the past few years. the main thing i'm excited for is that this tour has them coming within reasonable distance of where i live, meaning i'll be able to see them for the first time. whether mikael still has his growls or not, i'll still enjoy the opportunity to see them play

AmoryB

Blackout!
Reaction score
I actually saw them live roughly a year ago. They played songs off their older albums and the growling was on point.

MattThePenguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually saw them live roughly a year ago. They played songs off their older albums and the growling was on point.

In a live scenario they really aren't that noticeable unless you really pay attention. He has lost his voice though. I say them in December 2014, and he sounded fine in a live setting but it wasn't much of a death metal voice like back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIf0L_Fc6w

This performance is the most accurate representation of what his voice is like live right now

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score

Well in a sense I agree, or I think I know what you mean. I do however think that 99.9% of the music world would say that Orchid through Watershed sounds exactly the same bar perhaps production quality, the last .1% would be us people who are into the narrow and tiny region of the musical map called prog and or death metal :lol: Heritage and forwards however I am sure even my mum could tell they've changed direction.

Agree with whomever else it was that said that up to Ghost Reveries they were peachy but they lost their mojo with Watershed, my feelings exactly.

MattThePenguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's funny how much everyone likes Ghost Reveries and how many people dislike Watershed. I think Watershed was much more entertaining and dramatic, and I almost never really listen to Ghost Reveries.. even though I like it.. idk. It seems like the most "commercial" sounding Opeth record.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Same here, pretty sure I've spun Ghost Reveries maybe a handful of times and the only tracks I really tend to enjoy are Grand Conjuration and Baying of the Hounds. Watershed on the other hand? I ate that .... up.

Watching the live show and hearing him sing Deliverance is pretty eye opening. The vocals just don't have that edge to them, they sound rather hollow when he does his 'death metal' style.