Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sammy J, May 24, 2019.

1. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I might give this song (or the record, once it's out) another try, but... no. Just no. At this point, and I never thought I'd say something like that, it's Mikaels voice more than the music (which, to me, is boring) that puts me off. If they're happy with this record, great for them, I have nothing but respect for them as musicians and artists, but for me... it seems it's pretty much the same as with In Flames or Machine Head. There are a few good or even great songs here and there in the new material ("Sorceress" is amazing, as are "I am above" or "Triple Beam") and I will probably give everything they'll ever put out a try, but that's it.

fps, setsuna7 and DiezelMonster like this.
  2. fps

fps Kit

I don't even give it a try, but the same otherwise.

3. fps

fps Kit

I really like Deliverance, but totally agree about Damnation, it has the cold sound and atmosphere. More than anything, the atmosphere has been lost, and to me that certainly started with GR.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

There's actually a chance that I'll want to listen to this track a second time which will make it the first new Opeth song to pass that threshold since *checks* 2003

edit. got to be honest, I made that statement at 4 minutes into the track and now I've reached the "Mikael frolics around in a meadow tossing daffodils over his shoulders" section of the track I'm reconsidering.

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

The song ain't bad, but this is not Opeth. Not even the clean vocals sound similar anymore.

"Hey guys, I can't stand this band anymore, but if we do a separate one no one will come to see us live. We'll keep the name so people still come to the shows hoping for a taste of what we were".

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I saw them live couple of weeks ago, and I was more focused on drinking my beer than looking at their show about half of time.

7. fps

fps Kit

Honestly, if they got Lopez and Lindgren back I'd be interested immediately.

setsuna7 and KailM like this.
  8. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

Disappointed, just as I expected unfortunately.

I'm all for bands growing and changing, always evolving. This style takes Opeth nowhere new though, nothing we haven't heard from other bands who worship the greats in prog rock/metal. Tonally its just so uninspired and sounding

It has been said to death but "Old" Opeth was special. You could feel the creativity was rich, and the mix of extreme metal and prog was inviting for large array of fans from different musical backgrounds. Not to mention his guttural vocal/growling was (and still is) considered some of the a best in the business. There will be people who love Opeth no matter what they put out, but what this seems like to me a continuation of removing everything about the band that made it truly special and leaving only one or two elements of the band's sound.

That being said I am curious to hear the rest of the album.

setsuna7 likes this.
  9. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I'm not of a fan of their earliest stuff, but their earlier stuff I like, with Ghost Reveries being the latest I liked completely. Watershed had a few moments (I love The Lotus Eater), and beyond that nothing has really kept my attention.

So I listened to Heart in Hand. It's alright. It reminds me more of a a less-technical, prog rock version of earlier Dream Theater, to be honest. Which means it's not bad at all - but again, it doesn't feel like Opeth. It's like a side project. If I went into it not expecting it to be Opeth, my preconceived expectations wouldn't affect my judgment as much. But regretfully, I think my interest has finally flatlined.

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I’m just going to put this out there: I think this new track is better than anything on Heritage or Pale Folklore. I was only able to get through Sorceress one time so Idk how it compares to that, lol.

On my way to a festival yesterday I forced myself to listen to Pale Folklore in its entirety. By the end I was getting legitimately pissed off; a feeling I’ve had before while listening to it. Like others have said, it has NONE of the atmosphere that made the older albums amazing.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the new album might still offer something.

11. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Pale communion, you mean?

I think this new song is the same bullshit that the last 3 albums were. I bought the first one... What was it? Heritage? And was so damn disappointed. Never bought the next ones and never will. I truly love old Opeth, but now Opeth is dead to me. I just wish Mikael had had the balls to quit Opeth and form a new one... Called "The incredibly dull pseudo 70's Mikael Åkerfeldt prog experience" or something like that.

jbllarsen, setsuna7 and KailM like this.
  12. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I am going to have to revise my last comment a bit...

There is one good song on these three newest albums. Era. So damn good.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Akerfeldt as a band name and solo project would have been a much better move instead of crapping over everything Opeth meant. He could easily have played opeth songs live to please the audience and would have got way less flac for a drastic change in Opeths sound

setsuna7 likes this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sweet jebus, remind me never to release anything popular. Changing their sound doesn't destroy all the existing copies of the music they already made.

I get it, they're not the same band they were before, but I strikes me as sort of.... disrespectful? ...I can't find the right word - especially coming from a community of other musicians, to crap on someone for putting out the music they want to play. I'm not saying everyone should just like all Opeth music without question. Have your own tastes, that's fine. But lets at least respect the guy for doing what he wants and finding some success with it. Is that not what most musicians are aiming for?

15. prlgmnr

I think this is all fair, but there's this nagging question - would they get signed doing this? Would anyone be putting out their music if they hadn't first built a reputation doing the other thing? I'm not saying there's an obvious answer to this.

And then of course you get the other thing where a band just puts out the same thing over and over again and no one likes that either.

setsuna7 likes this.
  16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

But does the answer to those questions matter? I think no.

How many times have you had someone come to you and say "man, the stuff you play is alright, but what you should reaaally do is put out a country album instead so that you can make a living, then go back to playing the junk you actually like"? I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets comments like that pretty regularly.

At the end of the day, it's not just the audience that will get bored of the same kind of releases over and over. Consider that they've been playing the same music for 30 years. Would you not want to change things up after that long?

17. prlgmnr

My favourite one I've had recently is "but do you know anything popular?"

TedEH likes this.
  18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

He was most likely being sarcastic.

19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Nobody should have to have respect for an artist who is just using his old bands name to push the drastically different music he wants to play. Chuck Schuldiner said it perfectly when he formed Control denied, he didn’t want to betray what Death meant, as a result death ended on a high note and are revered for that. Mikael has done the complete opposite and as a musician or music lover I think it’s inexcusable and should not be exempt from criticism for doing so. Opeth were one of the most atmospheric bands, now whenever I mention them to anyone there eyes roll and they just have bad things to say about them, it’s twisted peoples view and idea of what opeth is and even was, A mere mention of the band brings a lot of negative feelings to people’s minds. That there is why you don’t do something like that. I can understand not wanting to play metal anymore but at least have the integrity to not sour what you spent years of your life achieving.

Like I’ve said many times before if he did what Chuck Schildiner did it would have been fine but carrying a new project on under Opeths name was a bad move on a lot of levels.

setsuna7 likes this.
  20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

On a marketing level, sure. But I think people are putting waaaaaaaaaay too much weight behind the "meaning" of a band. A band means whatever it wants to mean. Arguably, bands don't "mean" things, they are a vehicle to perform music. And again, we're talking about a musical entity that's existed for 30 years - it would be ridiculous to expect them to not change.

I mean, a lot of bands or artists do this. We got over the difference between old Metallica and modern Metallica. Look at how different something like really old Porcupine Tree is compared to their more modern releases. Devin Townsend is constantly praised for the huge variety of releases that he puts out more or less under the same brand (as in basically under his own name).

Don't get me wrong, I won't deny that some backlash could have been avoided with a new band/name/etc. But taking the fact that they didn't do this as some kind of insult, or slap to the face of their fans or something, is kinda ridiculous IMO. "It's just entertainment folks."