Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sammy J, May 24, 2019.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

BWP was starting to get repetitive, but deliverance is ridiculous. If they stuck to four repetitions of riffs the songs would be like 3 minutes long. The production is also realllly flat in comparison to BWP and GR.

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Sure, some parts on it repeat a lot, for example the outro of the song Deliverance... I guess it repeats like 64 times or something :lol: It's an awesome riff though and it kinda builds up and breaks back down into A Fair Judgement, so I don't really mind.
    And yep, the production is ... different. It doesn't really sound bad, but Ghost Reveries sounds loads and loads better. My main gripe is that all the acoustic parts are really quiet, which sucks when listening in the car.

3. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Deliverance was deliberately dialed back from the BWP production, intended on sounding older. It did come out a bit thin, but fell in line with Morningrise and Orchid. Different, but something that could be heard in that era. Vocals were too far back though (shocking a guitar player like me is saying that). The remaster that was packaged with Damnation was actually pretty good, presenting the sound better. It's bass heavy, but with a proper studio headset not quite max volume really brings out the hidden stuff. I need that on vinyl. Deliverance for me is actually their 2nd best album, next to MAYH. And I love BWP, but seeing them on the Lamentations Tour at Bogarts in Cincinnati branded that record into my mind and heart. AMAZING. I for one like reoccurring themes and motifs, something I learned in my classical violin days. Opeth definintely hit a stride between BWP and Deliverance with at technique.

I was not a huge Ghost Reveries fan when it came out. I remember a problem a lot of us had was 1) they signed to Roadrunner... 2) the album felt forced and disingenuous. Why? Again because of the label, which to me felt like it was too close to commercializing, and the edited video for The Grand Conjuration was the nail in the coffin. Watershed continued this a bit, and although shorter than I had hoped at least had a growing feel and logical resolve. Those are at the bottom of my listening rotation (well, Heritage too).

Top 10 songs? Wut? Maybe at this moment, or what I frequent the most I guess. Mood really depends, but I'll try:

1) Wreath
    2) April Ethereal
    3) Deliverance
    4) The Leper Affinity
    5) Demon Of The Fall
    6) Night & The Silent Water
    7) Under The Weeping Moon
    8) Serenity Painted Death
    9) Dirge For November
    10) Hope Leaves

That was insane, and a totally mean exercise. I usually end up listening to the entire albums at once, especially their first 3 and Deliverance & Damnation. Ranking albums would be a little easier. Someone nailed it stating they lost the long and shifting harmonic passages that gave them such a hauntingly unique sound. Even with their prog rock change, they could continue that, but it seems they don't have the same sense of urgency as they used to. The vibe is completely different.

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm not even gonna try :lol: I mean, my favorite albums are Deliverance, BWP and Ghost Reveries, since I haven't really gotten into the older ones and the newer ones are, well... shit. Watershed at least had some great moments, but after that, they are few and far between. But to try to choose the 10 best songs? No can do...

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  5. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I seriously suggest getting into their first 4 albums. They are well worth the time it takes to listen through with some quality headphones. Or a long drive at night on a snowy road in the dead of winter. Listening straight through each album is the best way to absorb them. I used to have Morningrise as my #1 record of theirs, and it was only edged out by MAYH because of heavier drumming and thicker overall production. Orchid and Morningrise are super heavy records in their own right, though, and I honestly am afraid of them being fucked up if remastered. It would have to be done right. Like I said MAYH is perfect as is, and shorter tracks make it a little more accessible than the first two. Still Life, as mentioned before, is a masterpiece in it's own right, and usually enjoyed by BWP fans.

But seriously, you are missing out! Do yourself a huge favor and grab those records in some format if you don't have them already. You'll have more GREATER material to go back to when you hate this new album.

Maggai likes this.
  6. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

After Heritage I basically gave up on them. Tho my tastes changed a bit and I got more into Melodeath and Atmospheric Black stuff.

At times they sound too much like a jam band.

7. wankerness

Most of the songs repeat a lot! I tabbed out “Wreath” and the tab came out about as long as the one to Benighted thanks to the sheer volume of repetition. Same deal with AFJ. And 64x on the end of Deliverance is nothing compared to the 512x (guess, probably big exaggeration) of the main riff in By the Pain I See in Others! That one’s as bad as The Grand Conjuration, which is easily the worst on GR. It did click a bit when I saw them play it live on the GR tour, though.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

They just announced some more EU dates for later this year. If the setlist is good I'll go since its been years since I've seen them live.

:woot:

I remember people not being happy with Watershed, didn't have the net around Ghost Reveries, funny that. Like when people were annoyed at Dimmu Borgir for Puritanical or In Flames for Reroute, they'd no idea what those bands were going to do on future albums ha.

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I just listened to that Scorpions song again and realized that actually it really is like some modern Opeth tracks. Are Scorpions always like that? I should get that album.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Part of me kind of likes the "ugh, this band sounds too much like this other band" conversations, cause it gives you new stuff to look up and enjoy.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I have listened to them all but not enough to get into them properly :)

12. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

They have a lot of typical 70s rock "filler" tracks that you get used to but each of the early albums has at least three or four really good songs. The Taken by Force album has Sails of Charon, We'll Burn the Sky, Riot of Your Time and a couple others. In Trance has the title track, Dark Lady, Robot Man, Life's Like a River. Fly to the Rainbow is good. My uncle is a hardcore Scorpions fan since he was a kid. He wanted to be a drummer but did 20 years in the air force instead. When my cousin and I were getting heavy into Metallica and playing guitar as teens, he wanted to get us into Scorpions and showed us some tapes of 80s spandex concerts filled with power ballads. We weren't impressed. I discovered 70s Uli Roth-era Scorpions completely by accident on YouTube a few years ago and was like why the fuck didn't you play us this stuff instead??

Also, the first couple years I was getting into opeth, I couldn't even name a track. I listened to each entire album like it was a song. I only knew the album names.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

As a longtime metalhead, I think there's something to love about every one of the first 8 albums, if I'm being honest. Like someone said above, it depends on what mood you're in (or what mood you want to be in, perhaps).

Still Life never did as much for me, but I still love it. I prefer Blackwater Park, and actually like Deliverance even more than the other two.

I got into them at Ghost Reveries and that album blew me away, so in some ways it's still tied with MAYH for my favorite. As soon as I got into them, I basically went out and bought every previous album and loved every minute of it. Even Watershed is a great album, with lots of strong moments. After that though, what I loved so much about Opeth vanished. I have to say though, and perhaps this is a retraction of earlier statements -- their later work is not "bad music" per se. Just not my cup of tea.

14. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

They get into some grooves on that album which they never really did on previous and let some pieces jam out a bit yeah.

It was recorded on analog equipment.i personally like the sound a lot it’s full and warm on good speakers. The drums sound great with the natural room and woody tones. Not sure why anyone is claiming thin the drums or lack of dynamics here. Maybe all of our ears are too used to the digital compressed age.

15. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

There is nothing wrong with the production of any Opeth album.

16. fps

fps Kit

Wreath is their most evil song. I love that track start to finish.

17. fps

fps Kit

Except when Serenity Painted Death just STOPS. :facepalm:

Opion likes this.
  18. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Depending on how you like your mid-90's metal tones one could argue the distorted guitar tone on Morningrise is less than stellar considering how clear the drums, bass, and acoustic guitar parts are. Those guitar tones make more sense on a BM record than what Opeth was trying to achieve.

19. wankerness

I guess you haven't noticed the phase cancellations on Still Life, then? :p Channels just DROP OUT in a couple places temporarily due to too many layers of guitars being recorded without enough tweaking afterwards (that album was unique in that they recorded a ton of the same guitar tracks with low distortion to build up the heavy sound). The Moor has the most obvious example.

20. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Didn't they fix this in the remastered version? It sounds miles better quality wise than the original recording. Fun fact, they actually lost some of the original tracks of the original master, so Mikael had to re-record a couple parts for the remaster. You can kind of hear it in the clean parts, but for the most part the songs have the same eerie atmospheric impact that makes that album so incredible start to finish.

fps likes this.