Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sammy J, May 24, 2019.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Eh, you're in a majority opinion there. I think most fans thought Heritage blew, and the few that checked out the next one either continued deluding themselves (ex, me - I said hey at least it's better than Heritage cause it's not full of empty space!!) or just wrote them off completely since they went in the same direction. Well, besides those that genuinely like the new material, I know those people are out there. Dozens of em! :)

BWP actually got backlash and accusations of "selling out" at the time. It's a LOT slicker than Still Life production-wise, basically didn't introduce any new elements to their sound besides what Steven Wilson brought (piano that isn't on an isolated track, 70s prog noises here and there, etc), and has a lot more repetition, causing people to accuse them of being short on ideas. Still Life was the first album that ever had riffs that came back later in the song at all, but BWP did it everywhere. Like, The Drapery Falls in particular has the lengthy intro and outro that are the same, has a verse-chorus structure in the middle for a while, etc. Bleak has a verse/chorus, The Leper Affinity has a lengthy DS, Harvest almost has a normal song structure, etc. I personally really like the album and put it about on par with Still Life, but can acknowledge all those criticisms.

Yep, that's my favorite by far, they busted out of the gates right away with a totally new sound from Orchid/Morningrise, and every single album through Watershed was merely variations and refinements on the same thing (well, besides Damnation). Like, those big chordally dense harmonic explosions like the guitar break or outro to When, the raunchy dissonant dense flatted fifth riffs like the third one on April Ethereal, the twisty evul riffs that sounded like no one else like the titular section of Demon of the Fall, none of it's really there on their first two albums at all and it all defined their sound going forward.

MAYH was the first I got into, though, which seems to be a pattern - first you hear is the best!!!

I did hear Morningrise first, but I think I listened to it once or twice and thought "what is this?!" and set it aside till after I got into MAYH. I love it now and put it about on par with their other best stuff (MAYH, SL, BWP, GR).

I'm so old school I remember tons of forum posts on non-Opeth boards saying Opeth turned bad with MAYH and got worse with Still Life and BWP and hadn't released anything good since their classic Morningrise. :p

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

You'd think I'd like the Heritage-onward direction they took being a big fan of that style of prog, but honestly, nothing has hooked me from Opeth since Damnation. I'll give this one a shot, but I'm not optimistic.

3. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

The Night and the Silent Water

fps and Emperoff like this.
  4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I mean, it's Opeth -- I really want every album they put out to be great. But we've been here before, and the last three albums were a huge letdown. I don't want to get my hopes up (but I'll probably get my hopes up anyway...:lol:)

5. TGN

TGN SS.org Regular

I also love Still Life. It’s definitely my fav Opeth album.

6. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Still like for the win. That’s always been my favourite as well.

7. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I'm hyped for this because they're finally releasing original material in Swedish, and if they're releasing material in Swedish then that hopefully means they're making more stuff with influences from Swedish folk music, which Mikael is a big fan of.

They've only made one song in Swedish as far as I know, Den Ständiga Resan, which is a cover. It's one of my favorite Opeth songs because it's much more intimate for me who's Swedish when the lyrics are in Swedish, especially since Mikael has one of the best voices in metal, both growls and cleans.

I'm probably the only person here who's excited for a metal band to add more folk music influences to their sound, though:lol:

KailM likes this.
  8. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

If they were actually metal still it would be interesting. I love the traditional Scandinavian folk sounds being incorporated into metal. Not the overly cheesy fast "folk" metal that sounds like a pirate jungle island extravaganza but legit acoustic, atmosphere, singing.

9. tribalfusion

tribalfusion SS.org Regular

I absolutely love the last few Opeth albums. I'm very glad they took the turn they did.

10. tribalfusion

tribalfusion SS.org Regular

I absolutely love the last few Opeth albums. I'm very glad they took the turn they did.

11. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I can't really stand the new Opeth albums but all the power to you if you like them.

There was also a song called Mordet i Grottan (which was by Mikael and Dan Swanö, not Opeth, a part of it was used in the song To Rid the Disease later)

Maggai likes this.
  12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well, I kinda like Sorceress (mainly the particular song), but it's just nowhere near the older stuff. What I like most about the old material is the massive contrast between the heavy and mellow stuff - putting a light acoustic part just before something heavy just makes it feel even heavier. They just completely lost that with Heritage.

KailM and possumkiller like this.
  13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The thing they lost imo was all the really interesting and weird chords, and at the same time they did away with those they completely lost any of the big dense harmonic things that were the best part of their music. Ie, the part under the first solo on Ghost of Perdition, the bridge on Bleak, the middle guitar break on When, etc.

Emperoff and possumkiller like this.
  14. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Yeap. They basically cut out everything that made them interesting and unique.

Rotatous and fps like this.
  15. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Hopefully the music is better than the album art because that cover looks like shit.

sakeido likes this.
  16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Heritage was hot garbage

Pale Communion was mostly trash but the first two songs were great and I'd go as far to say Eternal Rains is absolutely outstanding - provided you weren't hell bent on hearing progressive metal and are fine with prog rock

Sorceress had a couple good ones on there (title track) but otherwise I thought it was totally forgettable and the mix is tubby af. The vinyl master in particular is crap and I regret buying it, although the sleeve is real nice

who knows what the new one will be like?

usually I'm 100% against fans who complain about bands taking a new direction or even mellowing out in a way that still seems like a logical progression for them, like Mastodon and Slipknot, but Opeth really shoulda wrapped it up and gone with a new name after Watershed. It's such a dramatic departure for their old sound and I can't help but feel there's a weird vibe at their concerts, where everybody is buying tickets to see old Opeth and is just suffering through the new stuff to hear the 3 or 4 old tunes they still play.. which, imo, they don't even do a very good job with anymore

like, if fuckin John Mayer uses two different names depending on what material he is going to play, I think Mikael probably coulda done the same

Rotatous, Emperoff, jwade and 3 others like this.
  17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I attribute that to the loss of Peter Lindgren. I suspect he was more important to their older sound than he gets credit for.

I’m thankful I got to see them when he was still in the band. That was the all-time highlight show for me. Not that Michael wasn’t amazing too, and in his prime, but Lindgren took a lot of the solos and made them somehow better than the studio versions.

fps and Sammy J like this.
  18. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

I can count on one hand the passable tracks they've had in the past 10 years. That ain't good.

Because of how amazing the rest of their discography is though, I will always give their records a chance in the hope they revert to form. I understand and accept that a tilt back towards the more extreme metal end of the spectrum is unlikely, however much that saddens me.

I was listening to Ghost Reveries today, shit was so good. God dammit.

Acrid and KailM like this.
  19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I managed to see them with that lineup too, in 2006. I don't remember much of it since it was a festival appearance and I saw like 50 other bands that weekend, but I recall it being awesome. I saw them again in 2009, and I felt like they'd already lost a bit of something by then. It was a great show too, but it lacked a little something. Perhaps it was Peter Lindgren, I'm not sure. Fredrik Åkesson is a great guitarist too, but I felt like he is more suited for something like Arch Enemy... In which he played at the same festival where I saw Opeth in 2006. That was one of the best shows I've ever been to, by the way.

20. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

I saw them in 06/07 on the Ghost Reveries tour too. One of the best live gigs I've ever been to for sure.

Random pop quiz - what would be your 10 favourite Opeth tunes? Hard to rank 'em to be honest.

1. Blackwater Park
    2. Ghost of Perdition
    3. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
    4. Bleak
    5. Serenity Painted Death
    6. Deliverance
    7. The Moor
    8. Hessian Peel
    9. Advent
    10. The Amen Corner

I feel like a traitor to so many bangers now :(