Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sammy J, May 24, 2019.

1. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

https://www.loudersound.com/news/opeth-reveal-new-album-title-tracklist-and-cover-art

[​IMG]

"In Cauda Venenum" translates to "The poison is in the tail".

New album will have dual releases, in Swedish and in English. Tracklist is below:

1. Livet’s Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro)
    2. Svekets Prins / Dignity
    3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand
    4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin
    5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime
    6. Charlatan
    7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth
    8. Banemannen / The Garroter
    9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum
    10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass

Opeth were one of my absolute favourite bands up until Watershed. I have really struggled to get into their newer, progressive rock direction - finding majority of it largely forgettable. I miss the interplay between their lighter, folkier side and the darker, metal side greatly. The 70's worship really does nothing for me.

While it would be a stretch to imagine them going back to a "prime" style Opeth record, I'd love to hear them bring in some of their earlier influences and have atleast more of a metal record. They have some terrific songs that didn't feature growled vocals, and it'd be great to see them follow more in that direction than this overblown 70's prog rock vibe.

Of course..if they want to bring the death metal back...I'm totally cool with that ;)

Attached Files:

2. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm not holding my breath. I followed them until Watershed as well. I thought they had something great and unique going with the style they developed from Blackwater Park through Ghost Reveries. I love all the classic early records as well. I liked one track from The Devil's Orchard. Much like Ihsahn, I just find everything since their peak very forgettable and difficult to like.

Edit: Also, the cover art is awesome. Very much a throwback 70s vibe though.

setsuna7 and Sammy J like this.
  3. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

Cover art does have a little bit of a 70's look, but it's also a little gothicy and 'Ghost Reveries' vibe to me. There's a few things that make me wonder if this could be a more familiar Opeth album - the name 'the poison is in the tail' makes it sound like there could be some heavier moments, the two toned horses on the cover may be a reference to the contrasting darkness and lightness that they are better known for. Perhaps this is all be being way too hopeful and reading into things though lol.

Can you really have a song called 'The Garroter' and it not be heavy af though? I dunno

4. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

woohoo! Looking forward to this, I've never meshed well with Opeth but their last album really hooked me in.. I feel the same with Cynic :)

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Mikael should have ended Opeth when he wanted to change styles and started a solo project instead. I just listened to Damnation all the way through yesterday, what an album.

6. possumkiller

Kinda like Metallica should have just changed their name to something more 90s during their 90s experiments.
    Looks like a Blue Oyster Cult album cover to me. After wanting Metallica to go heavy again for a decade only to be disappointed with the results, wishing Ihsahn would go back to his roots more, and hoping for an SYL reunion, I have decided to just let them go whatever way they want and enjoy the good music they did make. I doubt I will enjoy anything new they put out as much as I do their classic stuff.

In the case of Opeth, I think they could do well if they would just mix in a heavy dose of the lighter 70s prog rock style with their heavier style. They have really long songs with many different moods. I think they could do a great job mixing the heavy style with growling vocals and the clean interludes they used to do with some of their current lighter style. I get the feeling Mike just wanted to be more commercial. Average music listeners like the music but can't deal with the growling vocals or really heavy parts.

MAJ Meadows SF and KailM like this.
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread so far regarding Opeth's direction change, but especially wanted to comment on Damnation. Outstanding album; probably their softest album -- but somehow it's still more "metal" than anything they did after Watershed (which, I must admit, I liked; just not as much as their previous releases).

I couldn't care less if Michael does death metal vocals anymore (even though he's one of the best of the best). Just bring back some 'metal' Opeth please. They were probably my favorite band for a lot of years running; going back to their first album. If you took away all the death vocals they'd still be outstanding metal albums.

When Heritage arrived, I tried to like it; I really did. Then Pale Communion arrived and I bought that. Struggled to listen through it. Can't remember anything off it. What boring, rehashed shite. Then the last album came out (can't even remember what it's called). Didn't buy it. Listened a couple times. Forgettable.

I shall remain cautiously pessimistic about this one.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

the last album was an absolute bore, so I have exceedingly low expectations for this one. If I wanted to listen to good 70s/80s inspired prog I'd go spin more steven wilson/porcupine tree or haken again.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  9. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I second that

I think Pale Communion is quite alright, there are some good moments. Even Heritage has some highlights, eventhough a big chunk of it is...unhappening. I could not get past the production of Sorceress however. I can tolerate certain things when it comes to mixing, but that one just felt extremely suffocating. It's so bad I can't even say if I would like the songs themselves.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I always listen to their albums and try really hard to like them just cause it's Opeth, decide "that was pretty good," and then never listen to them again. Ugh. If Opeth's name wasn't on them, there's no way I'd ever have listened to them.

I was a gigantic fan of everything from Orchid through BWP. GR is one of my favorite albums of all time, Watershed felt kind of tired, and then they jumped off a cliff.

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

That's exactly it. Early Opeth is one of the almost atmospheric bands I can think of. Its dark and evil with this dreary sound like you're being rained on, doesn't matter if it was slow acoustic sections or heavy growling sections, they retained this consistent sound and vibe no matter how loud or soft. I think I first heard them when I was 13 or 14 and it blew my mind that a band could paint such a vivid picture through music. I've tried the later albums but its just too much of a stylistic shift and purposely trying to play different melodies that don't sound like early Opeth. Every now and then a few snippets slip into a song but the conscious effort is a big turn off.

Rotatous, fps and JSanta like this.
  12. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

King Diamond let them borrow an album cover?

vilk, MetalHex and Doug N like this.
  13. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I was going to say this! Cross between Abigail, Them, and Voodoo

ArtDecade likes this.
  14. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

That said, I've been telling you guys that Opeth has sucked for the last 10 years. I am glad you are finally getting it. The band ended with Watershed - and half of that album was weak sauce.

15. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Cover art is cool, too bad album is probably going to be a boredom fest.

DiezelMonster and KailM like this.
  16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Not much to add, just as many here I find everything after watershed boring, tells me nothing.

Still life the biggest masterpiece in my opinion, often behind the shadow of Blackwater Park, sadly.

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Maybe its because I picked up Still Life first and didn't hear Blackwater park until years later but to me its their best album and doesn't get near enough recognition. The way it tells a story really makes the whole album flow start to finish. I don't get the same vibe from Blackwater Park. That didn't stop me flying to London for the Royal Albert Show to see it live in its entirety.

TGN, chopeth and budda like this.
  18. possumkiller

I loved the roundhouse tapes. The thing is I always got a bit of a 70s style prog feel from them to begin with. They had a really great style. Idk why he had to take it to such an extreme with the boring pretentious crap.

I honestly found this more interesting than any opeth in the last decade. Nice 70s-ish fantasy rock ballad about a dragon. Kicks ass.

19. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

True Opeth fans recognize My Arms, Your Hearse for the masterpiece that it is...:lol:

fps, TheDandy, Triple7 and 2 others like this.
  20. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I've been a dedicated fan regardless of what they put out. Probably my favorite band of all time. Like everyone else I prefer their heavier affairs, but I thoroughly enjoyed Pale Communion. That was a hell of a good record. Heritage and Sorceress fell short for me, but many of the tunes are really good live. Who knows what this one will contain, however I think we all agree it's probably a continuation to some degree of their current sound. I've just accepted (or succumbed) to the fact they are on a different path. I really doubt it's for commercial appeal. Mike and crew just write whatever the hell they want and they are a bunch of fanboys of that sound and era. Some hate it, some love it. But I don't mind and like Ihsahn, SYL, among others, they'll never come back.

Mike's death metal vocals are about shot. That's the real reason to me why they haven't returned to any amount of their earlier heavy material. He is one of the all time greats, which is why they are still my favorite band, but after 2010 you can hear his growls going downhill. It wasn't just clips of live shows, it was seeing them live. It started with Bloodbath before he left that project, and I suspect the damage was done there. His growls and fry range have lessened and become mostly monotone. I saw them throughout the 2000s, and Mike had such a powerful and dynamic range of screams and guttural roars. Recent shows I've been to and live clips really display the decline in his voice. He sings well, and it kinda sucks there was only a brief time where he was putting both vocal styles at a polished level together. But shit does happen in life with age and time, and unless he found some super secret squirrel magic method of bringing his old voice back, or got surgery (which might not help at all, nor be necessary and applicable), it's obvious to me that that voice has been laid to rest. He does just enough to get by during live sets but it isn't the same.

A great example would be comparing the vocals on Ghost of Perdition from The Roundhouse Tapes vs Garden of Titans. I've heard it too on some live Bloodbath tracks, his death vocals struggling a bit. It reminds me of when Jens Kidman was sick for a show with AAL in downtown Orlando some years back and tried to power through a live set, but sounded like hell, almost choked shouting or fake vomiting noises than his normal raspy snarl. They ended on some killer instrumental versions of several songs. Very professional instead of ending the show early.

We'll never hear something from Mike like My Arms, Your Hearse or Unblessing the Purity again. RIP to one of the greatest growls EVER.

Triple7, KailM and Seybsnilksz like this.