Opeth - Bleak (Guitar & Bass cover)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sumsar, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I did a cover of one of the first Opeth songs I ever heard, back in my teenage days. Blackwater Park was my introduction to the band and Bleak was really the first song that I got into. I think it is also the first song which such aggresive growls that I got into. Prior to Opeth I had listened to Children of Bodom and such, but that is not really that heavy?

I learned most of the song maybe 10 years ago? So coming back to it to do a cover was fun. Mikaels playing is a mix of very straigtforward riffs and then also a lot of not-very-straigt-forward clean parts. I messed some of those up a bit, since it is totally out of my comfort zone. That being said I learned a lot from learning 2 x guitars + bass track. It really helps your bass skills to play a 10 minute long song several times a day for rehearsal :lol:

I am pretty happy with the mix, though it has been some time since I last did a full mix. I figured that Opeth actually uses very little distortion on their guitars. I used an ENGL E530 with the gain set pretty low into a Peavey 6505 poweramp.
    And yes I play the song on a seven string, because I only got one six string and it didn't really fit the wipe of the song, so there is that.

Anyway, long rant, I hope you enjoy this little cover, and maybe sing along on the clean vocal parts :D

2. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

God damn I miss the old Opeth. :(

Sumsar and KailM like this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Double post.

4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah me too .. can't believe it has been 12 years since Watershed, which is basicly the last album I brought. I listened a bit to what came after, but it didn't do anything for me. Even if I am a big King Crimson fan, the oldschool prog vibe doesn't work in Opeth at all for me.
    It must also be about 10 years since I saw them last. I was actually to see them on Copenhell (Danish metalfestival) this june, but I assume that that is going to be cancelled.

Malevolent_Croatian likes this.
  5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I only see one post?

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Weird— my first post got deleted. Loved the cover! Anything pre-Heritage was amazing music IMO. I even enjoyed Watershed, though it was a sign of things to come, and not as strong as GR. I got a chance to see them on the GR tour — amazing.

They try and try and try to be “prog” but really their old albums were their best and most original ideas. I got mildly excited when they released the first two songs on the latest album, but then those two songs turned out to be by far the best offerings of the album. Opeth basically doesn’t exist anymore.

Malevolent_Croatian and Sumsar like this.
  7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Brilliant cover! Good work. Enjoyed it a lot. The only constructive criticism I have would be to work on timing tightness a little. Mix/tones are good too, quite accurate.
    I can't believe it's been 12 years since Watershed either. That was the first album release I was there for as a fan and it was such a big deal to me back in school. I feel similarly about their new music (though, the most recent album is a great improvement). I couldn't believe it when I realised it had been 10 years next week since I saw them (Royal Albert Hall DVD show), considering they were one of my favourite bands for so long and really still are. I happened to catch them by chance at a festival in November though, and really recommend seeing them when you can - it was good to be reminded they are still killing it.

Sumsar likes this.
  8. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Fun to watch! Agree with the looseness on timing needing work, but goddamn it's a long song so I can kinda forgive you.
    I tried learning it once, got to about 3 minutes in and didn't have the work ethic to get through the rest :lol:

9. GÜMERSINDO

GÜMERSINDO SS.org Regular

Good job! You have a great taste when it comes to pick bands to cover. My arms..., Still Life, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are essential albums, at least for me.
    Just one question. If I´m not mistaken in your recordings you use Torpedo Captor which is rated to load amps up to 100w, how does it handle a 120w like 6505? Is there any risk of damaging the amp due to the wattage mismatch?
    Regards.

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Remember an amp is only its wattage when fully cranked

GÜMERSINDO likes this.
  11. GÜMERSINDO

GÜMERSINDO SS.org Regular

Oh, good to know.
    Thanks.

Sumsar likes this.
  12. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks, yeah I can totally hear what you mean with the tightness - usually I play black metal stuff at like 190 - 220 bpm, so it is quite different to record stuff in this style.

Indeed - it took a long time to learn, so by the time I had the cover recorded I was pretty happy :lol: Luckyli I know the song quite well by heart, so the structuce wasn't an issue, just the amount of parts and how few times you could play it through in an evening (having to learn 3 versions of it didn't help on that)

Weird indeed, but thanks!
    I have all of their albums up and to Watershed and haven't heard much more than half a song here and there since that. I have also moved on to heavier music in the mean time which doesn't really help either.