Opening Bands That Blew You Away.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, Dec 30, 2020.

1. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

I can also add Drowning pool opening for Damage plan in 2004 in paris. Lot of energy, Cj pierce deserves a bit more credit to me.
    And Limp Bizkit on stage is really something. Saw them 3 times and each time, even if it's a bit the same (song/skits/talk and relatively short) man, like them or not, but it's hard not to jump around and sing. Very groovy and catchy stuff.

mastapimp, Masoo2 and Manurack like this.
  2. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I love Limp Bizkit, they were huge in their heyday! I still listen to Limp Bizkit regularly.

mastapimp and Kaura like this.
  3. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

I think it was 2011, was Machine Head at the O2 UK touring the Blackening album, and Devildriver were in support, they were unbelievable! For my money they topped MH that night. Earlier the same year too I think the St Anger tour??, MH opened for Metallica. MH were on fire and thats the only time I've been disappointed seeing Metallica live just coz Machine Head were so brutal and so good

Manurack and mastapimp like this.
  4. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Power Trip when they opened for Trivium a few years back, sadly I appeared to be pretty much the only one who loved it, no one was moving...
    Orbit Culture opening for Rivers of Nihil (although the main act that night is easily amongs my all-time top-5)
    Code Orange opening for Gojira, never heard of them before, and although it was a bit annoying that every single song ended in what felt like minutes of feedback and electronic noises, that was a powerful show.

5. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

So many by now but considering the history of it, seeing Pantera and Annihilator open up for Judas Priest on the Painkiller tour was fantastic. I had heard Annihilator before but never Pantera so that was a nice punch in the face. Only time I got to see them.
    Also seeing Skid Row open up for Motley Crue on the Dr Feelgood tour. That was not an easy opening act to follow.

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Testament then Megadeth in, I wanna say, 2009 made Judas Priest a bit of a snoozefest.

Haken opening for Devin Townsend, too.

Both of those times I was there for the downticket bands, though. Metallica had Avenged Sevenfold, Mastodon and Alice in Chains, and AiC were fantastic.

7. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

Jinjer opening for Arch Enemy.

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Mudvayne opening for Disturbed and Slipknot in 97'. Mudvayne took the show, disturbed sounded like the recording and Slipknot sounded like a ball of harsh white noise. Totally unexpected.
    - Tomahawk opening for Tool. They both kicked ass, but Tomahawk really killed it.

9. Steo

Steo SS.org Regular

Bleeding through, opening for Sick of it all, Most precious blood, were middle band. Flew to London, purely for Soia as they hadn't played here, at that point. Soia and Most precious blood were great, Wasn't that familiar bleeding threw before gig, knew them after.

10. Nonapod

Nonapod SS.org Regular

Nevermore opening for Opeth in 2006 I think (Ghost Reveries/This Godless Endeavor era). Great show. Warrel Dane was on fire, seemed stone sober. Loomis and Broderick traded solos at one point.

Manurack likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

All the Ozzfest's had some great openers;
    - Fear Factory, Soul Fly, Type O Negative, Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera

12. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

A slightly different side of the same coin - Since I was the the production manager/FOH engineer at a venue, most of my life pre-COVID was being in venues and at shows, so I kind of stopped going to them in the rare instance of a night off. Here are some of the openers I worked with during shows which were great:

Hollow Earth - They were opening up for As I Lay Dying, and from the advance emails, I expected them to just be another hardcore type band. When they loaded in and had Emperor cabs and a Model T on stage, I knew I was wrong. Super awesome, slightly proggy post-metal. One of the only bands I've ever mixed and then immediately went and bought merch from

Local H - They were opening for Soul Asylum sometime last year, and while I was familiar with the name, I couldn't place any of the tunes until they started playing "Bound to the Floor". They were super nice guys, and I was honestly in awe of how well their guitarist could play guitar/bass at the same time (octave pedal rig), do vocals, and tapdance on his THREE pedalboards in a live situation. They put on a way more energetic show, had better audience engagement, and (toot toot of my own horn) sounded much better than SA according to reports from people in the crowd

Uniform - They were supporting Boris (who I wouldn't say they blew away, but at least were as good as - and I say that as a huge Boris fan), so I kind of knew what I was getting, especially since their rider says something along the lines of "We're trying to be as LOUD AS POSSIBLE. Please do not ask us to turn down under any circumstance aside from an emergency." Well, they weren't lying. Their stage sound was louder than my PA could actually produce, so it was kind of a wash of intense noise in the crowd, but they were awesome. Super brutal.

Jay Jayle - I can't remember the headliner, but these guys ruled. Everything kind of clicked when someone told me that they were half of Young Widows. Definitely in the same ballpark, but much more mature and songwriting focused. Lots of great guitar tones, too.

Sarah Shook & The Disarmers - She was opening for Murder by Death, so I thought she was going to be a singer/songwriter kind of thing. I was very wrong. She does "tear in my beer"/outlaw country in which like 2/3 of the songs are about getting hammered, and one is about killing her husband. Awesome tunes, great band. I've actually bought both of her albums since then and spin them on the regular.

There are probably a few others, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

c7spheres and InfinityCollision like this.
  13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1. I love Monstrosity. I would also like to add that according to several well known guitar players who have played with them, their music was difficult to play.

Cannibal corpse guitarist, Pat O'Brien, was a touring guitarist for them in 1996-1997. He has stated that their music was difficult to play. He said that on the Cannibal corpse: Centuries of torment DVD set from 2008.

Ex-Cynic guitarist, Jason Gobel, was a session guitarist for them and he also stated that their music was difficult to play.

Cannibal bassist, Alex Webster, even stated that their music was more challenging to play than Cannibals'.

I know back then, technical death metal normally referred to bands like Atheist, Cynic, Death, and Pestilence but after hearing what Pat, Jason, and Alex had to say, I went back and listened more carefully to Monstrosity's first two albums.

14. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Are you sure it was '97? According to Wikipedia all the bands were around at that time but I don't think Slipknot played outside Iowa until '99 and I also don't think they would have been headlining any shows before their self-titles, especially out of the state. Anyway, in case I'm wrong, that must have been one hell of a show considering how all those three bands got more or less mainstream attention later.

15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I could be wrong. It was Mudvaynes first tour ever I think.

16. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

According to Wikipedia they started back in '96 but like Slipknot, I don't think they performed much outside their state before their debut album so maybe the year was '99. Would make a lot more sense.

c7spheres likes this.
  17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I knew about Fates Warning for a bit, then I saw them open for Dream Theater and Queensryche around 2003. They've been my favorite band ever since.

Also, seeing Hurt open for Alice in Chains in Niagara Falls stoned off of Canadian weed. Vol. 1 is still one of my favorite records ever.

18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Skunk Anansie.

The bill was Skunk Anansie, then Powerman 5000, then Staind, then Sevendust.

I only knew Skunk Anansie's "Selling Jesus" song from the Strange Days soundtrack, but fuckin' loved that song.

Anyway, I didn't even notice they were going to be playing this show. A band started up with a generic "intro" riff/beat, this skinny black dude gets up on stage with a hoodie with the drawstrings pulled tight, pacing around, and I was thinking, "ugh...is there going to be rap? I hate rap..." Until the first line of vocals, when the singer (she) pulled back her hood and belted this super long, powerful high note. Then they went right into "Selling Jesus", the song I knew. I thought, "Well...that's the one song I know...guess I'll go hang out in the back until PM5000." However, they kept the energy up their whole set, and I never left the front of the stage. The day after the show, I went to my favorite record store, picked up Skunk Anansie's new album that had just come out the month before, and special-ordered their previous two.

Powerman 5000 were up next, and killed it. I don't know if I've ever felt "energy" in a room as high as I did that day, before or since, after those two bands.

Here's where it's a little weird. Staind is listed as the headliner whenever I look up the tour on websites like Concertarchives...but that's now how the show went down. I wonder if this was a transitional period where Sevendust was the headliner at the beginning of the tour, and then Staind got more and more popular on the radio as the tour went on and they switched? I know that's what Happened with Gravity Kills and Sister Machine Gun...SMG was the headliner, but once "Guilty" got so much radio play, they started demanding the headlining slot.

Anyway...Skunk Anansie and Powerman 5000 blew the roof off the place...and then Staind started with what felt like 2 ballads. Absolutely annihilating the mood of the show so far. They were...fine...but soooo not the right pick for this show.

Sevendust, try as they might, couldn't quite bring the energy up to pre-Staind levels. They put on a great show, but just fell a little flat.

19. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Oh yes, I forgot to mention DevilDriver.... I'd seen them before, but one show I attended, they were opening for Trivium and the headliner, In Flames. Before they even took the stage, someone came out and announced that they were going to film this show for video footage of their "end of the line" music video. It was the perfect opener and they came out with so much energy. The crowd was instantly drawn in and a HUGE circle pit formed. I was very impressed as this is usually the time a good chunk of the crowd is getting drinks or hanging out near the back. Trivium's performance trying to follow DevilDriver that night and before In Flames could be characterized as "awkward."

Louis Cypher likes this.
  20. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

There was one video where Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick were playing live with Nevermore and they did a huge solo battle, here it is! It's fucking awesome!