Opening Bands That Blew You Away.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

The Sword on December 7th, 2008 in Edmonton, AB Canada when they opened for Lamb of God and Metallica.

I wasn't expecting much from a band I've never heard of before. But The Sword put on a wicked show before touring legends Lamb of God and Metallica!

The Sword's album Gods of the Earth is a wicked album. KEM071-Cover-500.jpg

Powerslave214 and zappatton2 like this.
  2. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Chon

Masoo2 and chipchappy like this.
  3. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

The sword for Metallica too , yes , and Bullet for my valentine opening for the guns n roses (Mk 45 with ashba and fortus and thal) in paris.
    Also the Wildhearts for AC/DC in 1996 and The raven age for Tremonti 2 yrs ago.

Manurack likes this.
  4. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I saw a very early incarnation of Trivium open the Chimaira/Machine Head tour. They were still a 3 piece and all teenagers. I don't even think Ember to Inferno was out yet. You could see the potential already. I was still in high school and the band was only like a year older than I was, but they were signed to Roadrunner and touring nationally.

5. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

DUDE! You just reminded me of Bullet For My Valentine's cover of Creeping Death! I love how Matt Tuck harmonized Kirk's solo in this live cover!

6. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Dillinger escape plan opening up for fear factory,Dream Theater ,and Megadeth.

foreright and Manurack like this.
  7. MFB

MFB Banned

3 when they played as part of Prog Nation was infinitely more compelling to me than BTBAM, Opeth, or Dream Theater, and I had never even heard of them before that tour. This was like, a year after Colors came out too so BTBAM were in their prime, and Opeth had also just done Ghost Reveries, so not long it was rehashing at the time.

Good Tiger opening for Protest the Hero was on par with their performance on the Fortress 10 year anniversary tour (Protest being in my top 5 of all time says something about G.T's show)

8. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

Ghost opening for Opeth and Mastodon in 2012. They wiped the floor with both of the headliners - and I'm a huge Opeth fan.

9. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Quicksand opening for the Offspring: Quicksands sound/tone was so thick & loud I was blown away by them and when the Offspring came onstage it sounded like they were playing through Gorilla amps with the volume on two(they were actually playing dual recs:ugh:) it made me a Quicksand fan for life and I forgot about the Offspring pretty quickly.

American Head Charge opening for Rammstein: I'd barely listened to AHC at that point but they hit the stage looking like something out of Mad Max and played as if their lives depended on it plus there was a genuine sense of danger to them with none of the slickly rehearsed crocodile tears that most of their numetal peers had, they were easily as good as Rammstein that night and one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Kittie opening for Slipknot: This was both bands first tour over in UK/Europe and Kittie were well rehearsed aggressive and wasted no stage time whereas Slipknot played about 6-8 songs then spent twenty minutes self indulgently rolling about onstage hitting their instruments and were offstage in less than an hour.

10. CM_X5

CM_X5 SS.org Regular

Came to post this, they were so on point with just everything. Once the set was done the merch stand got flooded and they sold out all their CD's and some shirts.

Razerjack and slan like this.
  11. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Meshuggah opening for Tool in 01/02

Manurack likes this.
  12. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Biomechanical opening for Exodus in 2005, and Vicious Rumors opening for Savatage in...2002?

13. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I would've LOVED to see Meshuggah back then! I've also heard that they have a quieter set nowadays and not as loud as other acts so the fans can hear every instrument in the mix.

14. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I couldn't edit my last comment regarding Meshuggah, but they totally killed it in 1999 at Dynamo with 'Future Breed Machine'

Also pay attention to the 2:50 mark when Jens Kidsman fixes Tomas Haake's cymbal.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  15. VibTDog

VibTDog who farted?

This is the only thing I can think of. Its not an opening spot, but when Nile toured with Cannibal Corpse in 2000, they blew every other band away, and played for only 20 minutes. I believe they played 4th out of 5. I think it was some crap MA opener like Beyond the Embrace or All That Remains, followed by The Crown, Krisiun, Nile, Cannibal Corpse.

16. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Three opening for Dream Theater was great.

Inferi opening for... Someone? Beyond Creation and Obscura I think. They were really good and I immediately bought their stuff.

Revocation opened for Veil of Maya and upstaged them. However, I don't like Veil of Maya and I only went for Revocation anyway.

Rosal76 likes this.
  17. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Saw Metallica open for Ozzy.

18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Monstrosity opening up for Morbid angel on their Gateways to annihilation tour and Sacred reich opening for Danzig on their How the Gods kill tour.

fantom likes this.
  19. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Yeah, I saw Ghost opening for In Flames back in 2011. I had heard the name thrown around but I had no clue what they sounded like. Since they were opening for IF I thought their music would be in the same vein but boy was I surprised when they hit the stage. This was back when they had just released their debut album and for the rest of the week I was jamming to it so hard.

I saw Trivium opening for Iron Maiden back in 2006. My first ever live show and I was only 12 at the time. Didn't really pay much attention to Trivium's set since my sister told they suck but a couple of years later I really fell in love with them and I still jam to them occasionally. Actually, I just played along to some of their tracks earlier today. :lol:

Machine Head was another band that I became a fan of after seeing them live. Saw them opening for Slipknot back in 2008. I think I had heard a couple of their songs before the show but it was the show that blew me away. They were so tight and played some great songs. This was right after the release of The Blackening (their best album, imo).

Also, The Devil Wears Prada really surprised me when I went to see Veil of Maya and August Burns Red back in 2012. I kinda had an idea what they sounded like but I don't think I had ever heard a full song by them before the show. I remember one song really catching my attention which was "Outnumbered" from the Zombie EP. I think that EP is an absolute metalcore diamond. Still listen to it at least once a year.

Also also, I can't remember who headlined but I remember seeing The Acacia Strain in some show. Sounded really great live.

I hate myself for saying this but I kinda felt the same way when I saw Revocation opening for Killswitch Engage. I love Killswitch Engage to death but seeing them for the second time just didn't have the same magic as the first show that me and my friend waited for almost 10 years to happen.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Alex79 and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Saw Korn and Flotsam and Jetsam open for Megadeth. They all kicked ass but in reality Flotsam took the show even though they were the middle act.