Opening a shop, need music!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by caskettheclown, Sep 16, 2018.

1. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

Edit-i think this would be the right section? Admin plz move it as you see fit!

Opening a heavy metal headshop. Calling it The MOSH PIT! Gonna be like hot topic and Spencer's had a baby but a little different.

Will make a proper thread when the shop opens.

Anyway, we want to carry CDs. Obviously the type of stuff we all like. My google-fu has lead me all over the place

So I figured I would ask y'all! Im sure someone in here can help, we are all musicians!

Is there a distributor or wholesaler or what that I would have to contact? We've got most everything else in the store figured out but the CDs.

Looking to carry a bunch of different labels. Sumerian, napalm, roadrunner etc etc etc.

Hoping to start out carrying older CDs and then get to new releases after a minute.

Thank you all so much. I've been on and off this site forever and y'all have always been great :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

No advice for you, but sounds like a cool idea. If you were in my area I'd check out a place like that.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Do you mean you'll be selling CDs or is this for playback in the store? Or both? I think playback in the store might have some licensing things to work out.

My :2c: - do what you're already planning, but also ask some locals to pitch in stuff. Or get people on the forum to ship you some CDs.

Turgon likes this.
  4. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Oh man at first I understood it as you wanting to SELL cds. I was like “aren’t Vinyl records higher margin and more popular right now?”

For music to play in store I’d just make a few Spotify playlists. $0.02

6. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

The best way is to hit up labels and see if they do wholesale prices on certain albums or bulk deals on multiple albums. Knowing what the scene is like around you and what people tend to listen to will also help i choosing what you should stock.

7. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

I don't know anything about running a business, but a headshop is usually a safe investment. That being said, CD's, specifically METAL CD's are NOT a safe investment.

Having a metal themed store with some rad devils on the wall and some good music should be fine. I like the name. "Yo, let's hit up The Mosh Pit before the show!".

Where's it gonna be at? (I live in Birmingham)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm sure a bunch of people here would be willing to ship you some CD's :agreed: I certainly would if my band had anything to ship at the moment.

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Good luck, but you are probably gonna go out of business.

10. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

you're better off doing Vinyl and Tapes. cd's are dead.