One-man bands aren't taken seriously?

Akkush

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you searching for new music, and find something interesting, and for your suprise you read that it's made by a single dude, what are your thoughts?

Sometimes I feel one-man music project aren't take seriously. People think that "Oh, it's just another bedroom guitarist with too much freetime", and it's not valid, since it can't be reproduced live. But from another perspective, some of us know that it's much harder...

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i don't really care how many people are in the band as long as the music is good.

the one man band concept does lend itself nicely to some funny memes though, but so do lots of things. just keep grinding and don't worry about what people think.

Nonapod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personally if something sounds awesome I don't care if it was created by 1,2, or 10 individuals. But I'm usually fairly impressed when I find out that it's a 1 man project I've been groovin on though. Sometimes I'm even a little jealous. For example a few months back a heard the song "Luna in the Sky Forever" by "Cvlt of the Svn" on a Spotify "Discover Weekly" playlist and really liked it and went on to listed to the whole album and loved it. I guess that's a 1 man project (although maybe he's putting a live goup together?).

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
For listening as long as it sounds great who cares how many members there are? Live is indeed the one area where I personally feel you need other people to make it feel substantial. I mean, I don't want to just watch one dude standing there alone signing like karaoke over his backing tracks, hard to get into the energy of it as it just feels and looks weird. It can definitely still be done, just gotta hire people or get friends to perform parts live! But for regular listening who cares? Trent Reznor wrote/recorded most of Pretty Hate Machine by himself.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think people are more open to it if they already like the music. Ben Folds, Moby, Lenny Kravitz, Prince all have "one man band" releases. But I would agree that people are probably less likely to give a chance to a "one man band" before listening to it, because they'll assume at least some of the instruments are "faked" (programmed drums, midi piano, etc), and look down on that.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't be reproduced live? If you want to share the music live, you get other people to play the missing parts. A lot of bands can play other people's parts live, no problem. Sometimes even better than the original...

A bunch of great stuff started off as one man bands. First Foo Fighters album, Chimp Spanner, and Plini to name a few. I am impressed when someone has the skill to put together a cohesive song with multiple instruments. if it sounds good, who cares if it only came from 1 artist?

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel one-man music project aren't take seriously

A lot of bands have a primary songwriter, so the actual music is written (sometimes entirely) by a single person.

since it can't be reproduced live

There are whole genres of music that cannot be "reproduced live" in the sense that everything would be physically performed by people. It's possible, but it's just not economically feasible. I don't understand the hang up that rock/metal people have about live playing and performance, for me it's always been about the music first. Not to mention that even very basic studio recording techniques are already contrary to the whole live experience. It's just fetishizing performance.

and for your suprise you read that it's made by a single dude, what are your thoughts?

It entirely depends on the quality of the material. Amateurish production, out of tune guitars, unremarkable music, and basic drum samples? Count me out.

These days there are lots of good options though. You can get decently high end gear for not that much money, relatively speaking. Information availability is at an all time high, so you should have no excuses for putting out piss poor mixes. Programmed drums can sound good if you get nicer samples like Superior Drummer and also learn how the instrument is actually played instead of writing super basic fills. Remote services for mixing and mastering are available. Stem mastering is a thing. You can even go as far as hiring a drummer, and let them do their work remotely. Learn how to tune and setup your guitar properly. Track ultra tightly, you have all the time in the world, you're not paying for studio time.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're on FB look up The Sound That Ends Creation for some live clips. Due plays guitar, does vocals, and has a sick programmed light show. Looks like a fun time to me! I've seen Putrid Pile so many times living in the midwest...

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
If I like the music I don't mind where it comes from, and it also doesn't matter to me how or if a piece of music is reproducible live. Certain people don't enjoy Berried Alive or Rings of Saturn (MIDI-core?) but just as with a bad movie review, none of that matters if I like it.
As for affecting marketability that's another case besides one's own enjoyment.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That Mozart chap used to write all his songs by himself but had to get a bunch of random musicians together in order to pull it off in a live context... ;)

I think people who look down on the way modern music is made are probably just jealous to be honest. Home recording and real production has never been easier, which means the excuses for not doing it when you would like to think you can, have got lamer and lamer ;)

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it's not good I don't listen. If it is good who cares?

One issue I have repeatedly encountered is that "live" performances are not always as inspired depending on what caliber of musicians they can find. A buddy saw Built to Spill in the last few years and reported that the studio guns Doug hired were "phoning it in" and the result was a resounding "meh."

On the other hand you have your Dethkloks and Have A Nice Lifes where the live band format sometimes outshines the studio product, I think that's because there's new magic in the live interactions vs a specific vision of one or two people.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
im always impressed by a one man projects that are well put together. it takes a lot of work. someone already shared putrid pile. ive seen him preform several times, always amazing. yes, drums are programmed so that aspect will always be perfect but playing guitar and doing gutturals to those tracks and sound equally as tight?!? underrated IMO

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't know people thought that but then I was relieved when I read these comments. I'm always surprised and impressed one guy did it and it well.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of my favorite bands, Blut Aus Nord, started as a one-man-band and quite a few of the albums were entirely performed by him. There are now several regular members, but they’ve never performed live and have stated they never will.

The music is all that’s important.