One humbucker with a 5-way switch

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Whammy, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

I’m wiring a guitar with only one humbucker in the bridge. Visually I want simplicity, but I still want a guitar that can achieve more than one tone.

The first thing that popped into my head for wiring was the following:
    1 Series
    2 Slug coil only
    3 Both coils out of phase
    4 Screw coil only
    5 Parallel

Personally I think it will cover everything I need with just positions 1, 2 & 5. I doubt position 3 will be useful but I need to fill the position with something.

I did however come across a Fender Strat built by Jason Smith that used a 5-way with one pickup.
    His wiring was pretty interesting.
    1 Full humbucker
    2 Split humbucker
    3 Full humbucker with the screw coil run through a 1uf capacitor (bass boost)
    4 Full humbucker with diode clipping circuit (mild overdrive)
    5 Full humbucker with both diode and capacitor engaged

Unfortunately I can’t find a wiring diagram.

Has anyone ever done anything similar or has any other possibilities that could be done?
    Essentially I’m looking for some quirky wiring options.

2. Dahl

Dahl Dekhrom

Try these schematics, maybe:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I would lose the out of phase position and add series straight to jack. Positions 2-5 would use the volume pot like normal.

1 series straight to jack
    2 series
    3 outside coil
    4 inside coil
    5 parallel

With this setup you could, for example, have it in #5 parallel with the volume rolled back for a clean tone then switch to position 1 for instant full volume distortion and then quickly back to #5 for clean again.

4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Thats not a bad idea. Straight to jack is usually called a "blower" switch right?

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Putting a humbucker’s coils out of phase in the middle of a 5-way’s throw is like assigning right click+left click on a mouse to delete system32.

If you’re needing sounds to justify using a 5-way with one pickup, how about a filter? Make a bridge pickup sound like a neck pickup, use a high-pass filter to make it sound like AM radio. Have the switch position trigger a urine bomb.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  6. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Some interesting ideas in here :)

I like the idea of a volume/tone bypass and the hi-pass filter.

I wouldn’t mind a subtle hi-pass filter just for a tighter high gain option. Around 80-120hz seems sensible.

The straight to jack option sounds interesting, but I’ve never used something like that. How usable is the sound with a high output humbucker? Is it not overkill?

I listened to some examples of people wiring diodes into their guitar. Most times is sounded like poop. Probably because they were trying to get it to provide too much distortion.