One guitars.. two boosts?!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by P-Ride, Aug 1, 2016.

1. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Hey, as I've probably repeated incessantly, I love my TC Electronic Spark. It's awesome. Such a great boost pedal.

I have it on all the time, boosting the level, adding a little treble, mid-boost on and perhaps 3/10 on the gain knob, to add some real power in the palm-mutes.

I'm now thinking of getting the TC Spark Mini, which simply has a 'level' knob and a momentary switch, for extra saturation for lead work.

Is this ridiculous and/or stupid?

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Not unheard of at all.

Many folks have both a pre and a post for different types of boosting.

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

not crazy at all .

I have a vfe focus last before my amp input that I have set toa hair above unity gain and a very mild bandpass .it just cleans up my input into the amp for both cleans and high gain and makes both better . before that I have an od808 with a good whack of boost for when I want to hit it hard .the 808 also has a much more aggressive HP which tightens more .

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

No reason why it wouldn't work. Tons of pedals these days even include an onboard boost. The Fulltone Full-Drive 3 among others have a clean boost that can be switched on independently of the main drive section.

5. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

No one ever said there were rules to follow! Boost and enjoy!

6. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Cool, so having the Spark on as my main tone boost and then applying a Spark mini on top, at the same time, could work well?

I was thinking of applying the Spark Mini after the Spark in the signal chain.. what would you guys do?

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I haven't tried the spark but I have tried many boosts and they all did something good.

Maxin od808 def has some mojo that I haven't found elsewhere. It just has the sound and feel. If you wanna mix it up you can't go wrong trying one.

8. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

The trick to combining OD/Dist/Fuzz/Boost pedals is you have to dial them both in fairly mild. It's kind of like cooking or making a drink, when you combine the 2 of them they will effect each other exponentially, so less of each is ultimately more.

I tend to like OD pedals with less knobs for this reason, it's easier to keep it "mild" if you ask me :2c:

9. RaceU4her

RaceU4her SS.org Regular

i use multiple boost sometimes, my big muff really likes to be boosted by my TS9

10. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Why not???

I have my Xotic SP Comp on all the time as a 'boost' and then i also put a Maxon OD808 on sometimes for a little extra. I also have a Dunlop Mini Fuzz and Xotic SL on my board for other sounds. Theres no rules, so make your own sound they way you want.

11. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Same on bass - bass muff boosted by TS9 works really well. Doesn't work so well the other way round. I'm pondering putting the TS9 back on my board but have run out of power connectors!