On the hunt for a decent budget mic preamp

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Horizongeetar93, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Horizongeetar93

Horizongeetar93 maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Hey guys,
    Haven't posted here in a while. Long story short, my buddy and I are looking to start recording bands in the near future. We have all the basic gear, with the newest addition being the Shure SM7B. On that note, we haven't tested it yet but I'm aware that most studios for vocals will need a decent pre to get the signal and sound optimal. Does anyone have any opinions on good budget pre's that have improved results rather than going direct from mic->interface? Looking to spend less than $1000 on one but name your price and unit and we'll see where we can go from there. Thanks!

2. Horizongeetar93

Horizongeetar93 maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I should also state that I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Interface.

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

What do you want the standalone pre to do that the interface doesn't do? What kind of sound do you want it to have (clean, colored, outright distorted)?

4. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

Honestly, I'd save your money for something more important. Using a lower end interface to connect a "budget" mic pre, isn't going to help you. If you absolutely want suggestions in that price range, the Avedis mic pre's seem to be getting lots of praise. Mind you, if you get a 500 series pre, you'll need a 500 series rack to power it as well.

5. kevinxbrooks

kevinxbrooks General Facesmashery

These fellas have you on the right track for sure! :hbang: Connecting a nice preamp to a budget interface is kind of overkill. For your budget range I would consider upgrading to an apogee interface. You'll notice a huge difference in tone just because the quality of the converters are that much better.

Pre's all kind of have their own sound. You might find that a pre that sounds great on a singing vocals doesn't necessarily do much for a screaming vocal. Remember it's all just taste and blend. I've had a presonus studio channel in my rack for about 7 years now. It sounds pretty good with an SM7B and a screamer so I've always kept it. Might be worth checking out for ya.

The 500 series stuff is AMAZING!!!! But man does it get expensive fast. If you wanna go down that path all the Neve stuff is top notch, Warm Audio, Solid State Logic, API all brands worth checking out and there are tons more.