On a Quest for a Versatile Stoner/Doom Head

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mr-Jemhead93, Sep 5, 2019.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

My Sunn has two effects loops, and I still just always put everything in front because I'm too lazy. Does it really make such a difference to put your delay and reverb in the loop? Yes, you'll want to put them after the dirt on your pedalboard.

I've got my delay and reverb in front of the amp, the other guitarist in my band is going in the loop, but I don't think his necessarily sounds any better or different than mine. I'm curious to know why people started doing that in the first place.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Traditionally, most delay and modulation effects work "better", as in how they were designed to sound, post distortion.

That's because if you have the delay trails or layered modulated signal before distortion those will also become distorted and in most cases you get either a mess, artifacts, or the effect simple won't work in the case of anything mono-phonic.

The easiest way to see this is to just try it out.

Take a distortion pedal, a delay pedal, and a clean amp. Play with the distortion before and after the delay and see how different it sounds.

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

I've had very good results with my Ceriatone HRM100 MKII retubed with 6CA7 power tubes. That thing is loud as balls and take pedals so damn very well (only downside being it doesn't have a proper built-in fx loop). Actually, just put some 6CA7 tubes in an EL34 ready head and expect the bass response of the 6L6 and some of the fizz of the EL34, so far they have been my favorite set for doom-ish tones.

But as it was pointed out, a very loud and clean amp with good pedals in front will do wonders. Kinda wish that my Traynor YBA-1 would actually work properly, was a mess inside when I acquired it and could never find the issue (only original parts left are diodes and transformers, and I suspect that the OT Tranny is on the top of my suspect list).

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yeah, sounds like you're using pedalboard dirt - you acknowledged the reason why yourself - because people are using amp dirt :) Effects out front run into a good clean amp isn't as much of a problem.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Cool! I've been wanting to pick one up after hearing a couple of clips of it used in a metal context (even without pedals).

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Question! Traynor YBA-1 seems to be associated with stoner/doom, but which bands/albums use that amp?

7. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Laney Ironheart takes pedals really well and has a very versatile EQ.

8. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

If anyone can coach me on how to get something in the ballpark of that Fender Bassman on my Dual Rec, I would be intrigued! I have played around with d00ms and get enjoyable sounds but still a bit recto-ey.