On a Quest for a Versatile Stoner/Doom Head

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mr-Jemhead93, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Mr-Jemhead93

Mr-Jemhead93 I think I'm profound

So a friend and I are starting a Psychedlic/Stoner/Doom project. I normally play Death Metal and Hardcore so I am a complete noob when it comes to this style of music and the gear generally associated with it. I know Orange, Sunn, Ampeg and acoustic are all pretty popular brands in this genre. I currently use a Peavey 5150 into a H&K triamp 4x12 with Celestion Greenbacks. Its not quite getting that fuzz tone commonly heard with those styles nor is the clean channel clean enough for me to really get those spacey psychedelic parts. I'm getting plenty of dirt from my pedalboard (see below) so I'm trying to find something with a decent clean channel and gain that sounds more fuzzy. Any recommendations? I'm happy with my cab so really I'm just looking for a head and my budget is about $1k.

my pedal board is set up like this:
    Front:Guitar> Boss Tu3> Morely Bad Horsie wah> Ts9 od> Frost Giant Electronics Massif Fuzz> Walrus Iron Horse Distortion> Amp
    fx loop: Send> Fortin Zuul (with a patch cable from the bypass of the Tu3 into the Key input)> EQD Afterneath Reverb> Walrus Arp87 delay> Return

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There's no real reason you can't get a good doom tone out of your existing gear. You'll just have to play around with effects and settings, which are probably the opposite of what you were going for before.

But, if you really want something new to play with, you can find Sound City 100 and 120 heads in your price range. They're kind of the classic option do to association with Electric Wizard. You can still find Ampeg V4s at that price point too. You're not really going to find much in the way of Orange or Matamp until you hit closer to $1800. Same with Sunn unless you find an amazing deal or are willing to fix up something thrashed, as prices on those have jumped.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  3. Mr-Jemhead93

I figured I could get that doom sound out of the 5150, but if I'm being honest I am jonesing for some new gear hahaha I'll definitely be checking out those sound city heads!

4. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

big loud tube amp and a fuzz pedal is your basic doom recipe

Some budget options would be used Laneys, Traynors, Sovtek MIGs, some of the older Peaveys (Butcher, VTM), possibly an Ampeg but the best ones all seem to use weird-ass tubes you can't buy anymore

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

I wouldn't let tubes dissuade you from grabbing a V series Ampeg (the best ones) as 6L6 swap right in with a bias adjustment.

I have two old V4s and run 6L6 in both. No issues.

efiltsohg and Mr-Jemhead93 like this.
  6. Mr-Jemhead93

I was looking at an Ampeg V4 a little while ago thats good to know about the tubes issues on the heads

7. Mr-Jemhead93

thats a relief, I'm really liking how the V4s sound and they seem well within my price range

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Metasonix scrotum smasher is out of control, but impossible to find and expensive. My Buddy had a Sunn Beta Lead and a Ram's Head Big Muff. It did stoner doom very well along with his eventide pedal (an H9 I think). The Ram's Head Big Muff is nice. It's got all the good Muff Tones in it.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  9. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

AB165 circuit Fender Bassman head. All the sludge you'll ever need.

There's a few on Reverb in the $700 range right now.

cGoEcYk and Mr-Jemhead93 like this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

Absolutely killer cleans on those things too.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

personally I don't think you need a dedicated doom amp. I can get sludgy thick tones out of any of my amps so long as I dial them in correctly. That being said if you really want a doom centric amp I'd look into the hovercraft stuff or Verellen. Both are pretty popular builders in the scene. I know Sacha from Intronaut and one of the guys from Torche (nunez amplification) are building amps as well. The nunez one seems super cool since you can blend the sounds from each channel together.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  12. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Honestly there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get good stoner/room tones out of a 6505. If the crunch/lead channel aren't doing it for you then I'd try running a fuzz pedal, or a very aggressive distortion into the clean channel. If that doesn't get you where you wanna be then a graphic eq in the loop with the right settings will take you the rest of the way.

If you are set on getting something else though then I'd advise against anything voiced for more modern heavy tones. The people that started the genre were taking old amps that weren't really made for high gain and doing what they had to do to make it work for them. I know a few of these have already been mentioned, but I'll make a list to help get you looking in the right direction:

- Vintage traynor's (yba 1, yba 3)
    - Ampeg v4
    - Sunn beta bass/lead (basically the same amp, except the lead has built in reverb)
    - sunn concert lead/bass (very cool amps if you can find a clean one)
    - music man hd130
    - almost any Acoustic Control Corp. Head (same look and branding as the modern Acoustic stuff, but infinitely better tone/features and made in the USA)
    - fender bassman (silverface is gonna be cheaper, and you'll be running it so hot the cork sniffers will turn up their nose anyway, so no use in shelling out for a blackface)
    - any number of Vintage Peavey heads, tube or solid state (f800-B/G, Musician 400, VTM, Butcher, Road Master, Rock Master, the list really does go on)

Basically, with the right dirt pedal and an EQ you can get by with anything that is loud and has plenty of clean headroom.

Edit: also don't shy away from solid state gear for this sort of stuff. Of course old tube heads like the model T, Orange, Matamp, hi watt, etc. Are the Grails for those kind of tones don't underestimate using a loud GOOD solid state amp as a "blank canvas" and then coloring it in with a primo distortion or fuzz pedal.

vilk, Mr-Jemhead93 and efiltsohg like this.
  13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If your current fuzz doesn't doom (which would be weird), EQD acapulco gold (sp). Doom in a box haha.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  14. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I would also recommend a 60’s Bassman.

That, or a used Hovercraft. Those things are insane.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  15. Mr-Jemhead93

Wow awesome, thanks for all of the reccomendations! I've already checked out some of the amps mentioned but it looks like I still have to do my homework haha I think I'm also going to take a little more time dialing in with my current rig. If I can get a tone I like out of the 5150 maybe I'll just use the money towards some more fx pedals

16. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I would skip the Hovercraft stuff, they're poorly built and Niall isn't exactly the best for customer service after he's gotten your money.

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  17. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

Agree with the above that you can get your own sig doom tone from your existing gear. If you have a big solidstate poweramp, I'd pull that out too! I ran a 6505 preamp into a JC120 power amp and then into a marshall 412 and it kicked some ace. THD Hotplate made it all possible.

I'm an advocate of rocking the knobs and switches until you find what you need, and use all gear at your disposal. I have a 6505+ that I love, but man this little rig sounds killer! 6505 and jc120 have been shelved for over a year now.
    Untitled4.jpg

Mr-Jemhead93 likes this.
  18. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

That thing is nuts! "All knobs on 10"

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

It seems to me like some amps are made for stoner doom (not literally), but basically anything can be used for stoner doom if you do it right. I play in a stoner doom metal band and I use a Sunn Beta Bass, but the other dude is using a Mesa Dual Rec, and he's getting just as good of stoner tones as I am. And he's not even using pedal distortion all the time, most of it is straight from the amp. I'm pretty sure he has it dialed in really crazily. But there's so many unreadable knobs on the front of that thing I can't see what the fuck's happening. We just finished recording an EP, and by the time the engineer was done with us our tones were actually really similar, despite having what should probably be considered polar ends of the amp spectrum.

Our drummer has this Kustom half stack, he says it sounds horrible and no one he's ever let try it likes it (yet he keeps it anyway specifically because he likes the way it looks. Not even joking), but I really want to try putting my pedals in front (one of which is a Model T preamp idk if that's cheating) and showing him that it could sound just as good as anything

cGoEcYk and Mr-Jemhead93 like this.
  20. Mr-Jemhead93

As I did some digging on these amps I noticed that some don't have effects loops, I've always used mine on the 5150. I'm sure this is another entirely loaded question but where do you folks position your effects in that case? I know order is subjective but is there a rule of thumb that says before or after dirt pedals?