On a budget amp trip..

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Great Satan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I'm outta the country at the moment but when i get back i plan on getting a new amp, somewhere within a $400-500 budget (new or 2nd-hand).
    Here's the ones i'm currently looking at, just wanted to see what else was within that range;

Peavey 6505 MH

EVH 5150 LBX

Vox Ac10c1

Blackstar HT Metal (have a HT-5 in the UK, figured i'd enjoy the metal one)

Orange Jim Root Terror

Orange OR15H (i read those^two are very similar, except one is the Rockerverb OD preamp channel & the other has a more JCM800-ish eq, both into a TT power section)

So basically just a home jamming/recording kinda amp in that budget.
    Any others?

edit/update:
    some more to throw on the list;

Randall RD20H Diavlo (double 6v6 power section, which is fairly unique and cool)

Fender Bassbreaker (JUST found out about this, Fender has done a 7-watt plexi with a built-in treble booster, which is a huge middle finger to marshall lol)

Joyo JMA-15 Mjolnir (possible clone of an Engl Ironball, so if you don't have a grand for a real one could try this out)

Marshall DSL40C (i had a DSL first-run combo before & it was somewhat lacking, i think they have improved it since then though)

Bugera 6260 (if you're willing to take the risk, may burn your house down lol)

Ampeg GVT15H (anotrher cool 2x 6v6 power section'd amp, straight-forward no frills kinda rocker)

2. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

JSX. Problem solved.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Among the "small" amps, the H&K Tubemeister series are the best sounding and the best build quality. * (ie, the toggles and various buittons don't stay in your hand when you use them, heh Mr Laney. :p

*totally objective statement 101

4. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Really more going on budget restraints rather than any kind of 'size' issue (be that physical size or wattage).
    edit: having said that budget might not be that big of an issue fairly soon, but i am interested as to exactly what's out there in that $400-600 range

Can't say i've ever played one, might be worth a shot.
    Some people seem to like it, some don't.

5. sevenfoxes

Try to play one If you can. Most people like them. Btw, it's one of the best hi wattage amps ever made for bedroom playing. Absolutely no need for an attenuator.

6. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

ahhh i dig a good mv on an amp, nomatter the wattage. :yesway:

7. sevenfoxes

Yeah, It's the way the amp was designed. I was reading somewhere online that there is something built into that amp that makes it very playable at low volumes. The XXX is the same way.

8. Underworld

Underworld SS.org Regular

I myself love the stuff Jet City puts out.

9. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I'm seeing the JSX and 5150 LBX go for roughly the same prices (around $600 or so),
    the lbx was probably my first choice of the bunch.

I was also interested in a more vintage-voiced kind of amp aswell (further down the line) & the Vox ac10 first caught my eye, but then i saw the Bassbreaker and the Ampeg GVT15H (which has an fx loop & 6v6 tubes, which the other two don't seem to). Vox of course is a combo however so no need for a cab.

edit: also digging the OR15H as its got some of that JCM800 vibe, can you get a metal tone out of it?

10. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

The Ampeg GVT15H is definitely worth trying although you rarely hear about it. I got some great sounds out of mine when I had it and it has a great range of tones for different styles (non-br00t/medium gain).

If I were on the same budget I'd be looking at older Mesa combos.

If you like the Vox AC kind of tone I highly recommend the Genz Benz Black Pearl as a much cheaper (undervalued) alternative. Same AC-style but a more versatile circuit IMO.

11. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

I know you mentioned the 20 watt Diavlo, but the 100 watt recently got price dropped to $640 so that's almost in the range you're looking for (MF is promoting a rewards program that gives 8% back or in points or something too, so that would put it just under $600 when you account for points) or the used ones are going a bit cheaper now. I scored one for $350 shipped this past weekend. Has some non-stock knobs on it, but I'm planning to plug in the tubes and the juice tonight & give it a go so hopefully it still works haha.

12. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I've been reading how the ampeg has some great singature tones in there, like plugging in a tele for instant early Stones & getting that awesome 70's rock sound in general (breaks up much earlier & quieter than the original ampegs), so i think it might have edged out the ac10 for me. Now its a toss up between that and the new Bassbreaker 7 watter.

The Black Pearl sounds interesting, genz benz is not a name i'm too familiar with though (only seen it around).

edit: oh & yeah, i'd definitely happy with a mesa combo of some description :p which ones?

That's a good price on a 100 watt head (another steal is a 2nd hand Dsl, the 100-watters seem to be the good ones), but I'd always wonder whether i'd have preferred the 5150 instead..

13. Hedon09

Hedon09 SS.org Regular

I own a Joyo Mjolnir since today and i think it's a pretty good clone of the mesa mini rectifier. Loose, fuzzy and gritty high gain with a huge amount of low end

14. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

True. Great for low volume playing.

15. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Don't forget Bugera copied the HT-5 and its $250 new lol. Read a lotta reviews bored one night, some say its even better. But I have an Ultra 120 and have always wanted a JSX.

16. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

If you want some good versatility, I'd get two amps - the Fender Bassbreaker 7 watt, and a used Grey, Blue, or Red Peavey bandit - that Bassbreaker does some AWESOME crunch tones, and is very responsive to playing and volume dynamics, and the Bandit a ridiculously awesome clean channel, and sounds nasty when boosted on the distortion channel. Not the tightest thing ever, but v chuggy and mean. I'd kill to have a dual amp rig of those two, currently only have half of that tho

17. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Man, so many good ideas in this thread...
    i gotta go away and seriously think about it lol

18. Hedon09

Hedon09 SS.org Regular

Here is a clip of the Mjolnir i've recorded today

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/hedon09/joyo-mjolnir-test-rec[/SC]

i used a laney 212 with a vintage 30

19. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby SS.org Regular

Orange CR120?

20. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Rammstein, nice :yesway:

Seems pretty cool, i'm not a fan of what soundcloud does to audio files but that besides i can still hear the potential there..