Old Shitty Laptop (Let's make it better!)

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by groph, Mar 28, 2013.

1. groph

groph SS.org Regular

I've inherited a laptop from the Pre-Cambrian era last week. My grandfather deemed it to be too slow for him and he's since upgraded to a nice shiny new one. He's 88 and no longer lives the fast life.

Carbon-dating indicates that this is an old-ass HP Compaq NC6220, it's running WinXP Professional, obviously an ancient Assyrian operating system. I'll stop. It's fucking old and slow.

Damn thing takes like five minutes to boot up fully and there's probably 5-10 seconds of lag between when I click something and when the computer actually responds. Streaming video is the most infuriatingly stuttery thing ever (don't even think about using this as a faptop).

Does anybody know how to get an old computer like this working at least semi-quickly again? I'm looking some things up on my own and I don't really care if this laptop ends up totally dead, my phone is a million times faster than this thing and I have an Acer tablet to satisfy my mobile needs.

2. MicrobeSS

MicrobeSS SS.org Regular

Try a fresh install of windows, if there's nothing important you need on it it'll wipe it clean and speed it up a bit.

3. groph

groph SS.org Regular

I don't have an XP disk. There's definitely nothing important on the hard drive though.

EDIT: Although there is a windows product key on the bottom of this thing, if that helps.

4. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

Lubuntu

Lightweight version of Ubuntu. Should run on there. May make it less laggy.

Don't forget to clean the dust out, as that can cause it to overheat, which on some systems can cause them to run slower.

ETA: And I'll top you. I still have a working Compaq laptop with *drumroll* Windows 98. 133MHz and 32MB of RAM. That thing runs circles around my new... Wristwatch. :lol:

groph likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bump up the RAM, throw a faster (no SSD necessary), and give it a light OS. Something like Jolicloud would work well since it's likely just going to be an Internet box. Jolicloud is free too.

6. groph

groph SS.org Regular

Thanks, guys. I'll probably try out a new OS just for shits, if nothing more than for educational purposes.

Right now I've installed and ran CCleaner, dragged out almost 1.5GB of bullshit and now I'm defragging, which looks like it's going to take a loooooong time but there's another few GB of space that can be freed up. At least I feel like a h4xx0r.

I'll try taking it apart and blasting it with compressed air, for sure.

7. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

Wipe out the hdd.
    +
    Fresh OS-of-your-preference install.
    =
    Faster already computer.

You could upgrade ram also.

8. groph

groph SS.org Regular

Never done a total HDD wipe before. wat do

I'm also not willing to pay anything to get this thing working so I'm not buying a new copy of Windows or anything. If I can find a version of Ubuntu that works on this thing that'd be great. I'm not tech-inclined at all so I need something lean and user-friendly.

It's got a Pentium M and just my luck, apparently this specific processor isn't supported by current versions of Ubuntu based on what I've been reading up on so far.

9. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

You'll want to double check on what kind of RAM that thing takes before you just buy some. Something that old might be using a RAM style that's too old to get now. Not to mention if the MoBo will even support more.

As said before, just wipe it and make it a Ubuntu box of some type. If you look well enough you may be able to pull up a version of Ubtunu 8 or 10.

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, it can actually be substantially more expensive to pick up old RAM than the newer stuff.

11. wookie606

wookie606 Telecaster Fetish

If you have a windows key on the back of it (sometimes behind the battery), you can get hold of a disk without a key for free and just use the key on the laptop itself.