Old pod beans and other old modeling units that can be had for cheap?

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really liked the RP1000 I just sold.
Didn't come alive until I got a Matrix power amp.

My second fav...don't laugh please...the Behringer V-amp 2 bean.
'American Hi-Gain' -- 2x12 cab model -- whisker of verb/delay ... loved it.
The V Amp 2 used the Line 6 Pod 2.0 software, so it was basically an officially licensed POD, lol.

coffeeflush

Reaction score
Vamp 2 is quiet dated now and the effects such, but you can get few really good tones from it.

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
might want to check out some of the newer cheaper stuff as well. it's pretty good.

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll second the GSP1101. I have two. One in my rack 4CM effects, different amp models and for controlling the midi and floorboard. The other I use going into PC for the 5150 sim with IR's in DAW. Sounds as good as anything not Neural that way.

POD2.0 was the best piece of gear I had as a teenager and early twenties. Its obsolete but I kinda miss it. Into real tube power amp and cab it sounded great on the Mesa and Insane models. That was before I discovered boosts and EQ's too. Damn... Now I wanna experiment.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Just sold off my X3 Pro a month or so ago, finally graduated. I was still able to get tones that held up from it despite the changes in my tastes over the decade or so that I owned it. X3 or HD bean will definitely treat you right.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rocktron Chameleon/Voodu Valve/Prophesy(if you can find them sub $500 on eBay). Despite the "see-n-say" interface on them, they are solid pieces of gear and sound nasty as anything. The built in speaker cabs aren't that bad either. Or you can bypass them completely and load IR's in your DAW. Honestly wished i had kept mine just tinker with now for the IR reason alone but oh well..

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
POD2.0 was the best piece of gear I had as a teenager and early twenties. Its obsolete but I kinda miss it. Into real tube power amp and cab it sounded great on the Mesa and Insane models. That was before I discovered boosts and EQ's too. Damn... Now I wanna experiment.

It holds up, still a really fun unit. I had one up for sale and just recently took the listing down after I dug it out and plugged in. Spinal Puppet, Chunk Chunk and Big Bottom, if you know you know. I need to mess around with Insane now that you mentioned it, is that the one Dino was using at one point?

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It holds up, still a really fun unit. I had one up for sale and just recently took the listing down after I dug it out and plugged in. Spinal Puppet, Chunk Chunk and Big Bottom, if you know you know. I need to mess around with Insane now that you mentioned it, is that the one Dino was using at one point?
On googling...apparently so! Into a Mesa Boogie 2:90 and Mesa cab.

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thought I read something, probably here, about him using the Insane model. Looks like the Pod XT Pro survived another gear purge at the Necky379 residence, I forgot I actually like this thing. I wired up a janky 1x12 I built to test speakers with a G12T and I’m using it for couch riffing now.
upload_2021-1-3_13-15-44.jpeg

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

He used the POD Pro live, which was the rackmount version of the POD 2.0. So yeah, technically he did. For recording, he used the Flextone.

MoJoToJo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why buy an ancient old pod when so many decent cheap new muti fx units around these days? Mooers, Nux MG300 etc etc plus you can load 3rd party ir's with them. In Australia the old Line6 stuff like Pod XT are selling for $150 the Pod X3 Live anything up to $400!! They are so old you will probably buy one & find it craps out in no time. I made the mistake of buying an old HD500 & it died after a few months of use. Not like they have an infinite lifespan anything electronic dies eventually.

jonsick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I still have an original Pod attached to my set up primarily for visiting guitarists. It still sounds good 20 years later.

Elric

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The HD units were probably the worst PODs ever made for amp models. I dunno maybe they rock with IRS or something. But personally, I’d get a POD Go new before I’d get a used HD that new POD GO unit is a bargain. New they are like $450 and with a coupon or used, they are gonna be a steal.

For the old units, the XT/X3 was the sweet spot for me. I’ve owned every generation of Line 6 modeling since the original POD FWIW.

The Fractal stuff holds its value but if you can find a used AX8, I honestly think it sounds better than any device Line 6 has ever made including the Helix... Now that the FM3 has cleared the wait list maybe it will start to get available as a bargain.

The Atomic Amplifires sound better than any old POD, also. I had the 3 button unit for a long time... those things go for nothing now. They are a great feeling device, have a decent computer editor, and go for basically nothing. They don’t act as an audio interface or anything like that, the display is uninspiring, and the FX are just the basics so they have some limitations but for amp modeling, they slay.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
What was the deal with those ElevenRacks? They were bundled with ProTools or something weren't they? Kind of came and went?

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
I have an X3 bean as audio interface. Together with an old ThinkPad, gearbox and guitar pro, (and YouTube) it's the perfect home practice setup.
The sounds are good enough. (Sure, my Mesa studio, Zilla SFB, and pedal board are better . ....) And great for late night practice, or nailing that lick (or scales) over the course of a few hours without driving my partner insane. Just fire up the bean, the song on YouTube, send it all to the headphones, and play along.
Plenty of metal bands in the 90's and 00's used pod pros. And its the sound I grew up with mostly.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What was the deal with those ElevenRacks? They were bundled with ProTools or something weren't they? Kind of came and went?

The Elevenrack did come with ProTools and more recently, they've been turned into a floor unit called "Headrush". As far as I know, they are basically identical, same amps, effects, everything. They just took the insides of the Elevenrack unit and hooked it up to a touchscreen in a footpedal box.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
The Elevenrack did come with ProTools and more recently, they've been turned into a floor unit called "Headrush". As far as I know, they are basically identical, same amps, effects, everything. They just took the insides of the Elevenrack unit and hooked it up to a touchscreen in a footpedal box.
Ahh ok its Headrush now. Good to know.