Old Ass stings and Spector ReBop 5 still sounds awesome! Some Clips**

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by decoy205, Jul 16, 2013.

1. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

As of late I've been trying to sort out my recording tone for guitar and Bass. I've had to make due with certain things since I have a family so the gear budget is extremely limited at the moment.

My old Bass player moved to California about 4 years ago and he left me his Spector bass among other things so I have some bass gear to record with.

Thank god he did because this thing is killer! I'm a big J Bass fan. When I ran my studio in Queens these are the basses I loved recording the most:

Fender Jazz Bass (Specifically the Marcus Miller V) sick!
    Zon Basses
    Older Ibanez SG 5 strings
    Warwicks.

I hadn't had a chance to record a Spector but when my buddy got his I realized it was a great piece.

I believe it is a 2006-7 ReBop bolt on. It is all stock right now:

[​IMG]

So years later here I am gearing up for writing and recording at home and I just wanted to check my Tonez. The strings are massively old right now I'm talking probably at least 4 years. This thing still slays. Here's the quick and dirty test I did to see how the lows cut in B Standard:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49386838/SIH BASS TONE 7.9.13.m4a

Here's how it sounds with some guitars:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49386838/SIH IN B VIPER 10 TO 64 SD BLACK.m4a

I need to change the strings now and I'm considering D'Addario Pro Steels, Spector Steels, or just for Fun Some Coated DR's.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

:shred:

-John

Sean1242 likes this.
  2. Thornmoon

Thornmoon SS.org Regular

Sweet bass and killer tone!

3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to recording more now. I can't wait to see what it sounds like with new strings. :lol:

4. KBurks

KBurks SS.org Regular

I just put DR Hi Beams on my 5 string ESP and they're probably my favorite strings so far. Tone of Stainless Steel strings without chewing up your fingers. I'd definitely recommend giving them a shot. On topic though - that bass is gorgeous, and I've always loved the Spector tone.

5. HL7DS

HL7DS SS.org Regular

Unbelievably fat tone, thanks for sharing this! Definitely up to hearing it with new strings (and also maybe with a lower tuning, just out of curiosity...)

6. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

I'll put them on Ze-List. :metal: I'll definitely have to narrow down my options cuz dem bass strings is expensive!

Thanks man! I'll definitely be putting up more clips as time allows so stay tuned! :shred: