OGD: LTD BUZ-7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by bloodocean, Mar 3, 2020.

1. bloodocean

bloodocean SS.org Regular

Have had this a while, worth a post as I haven't seen anyone really review one of these. This is a LTD BUZ-7, the Buz McGrath signature. I think Unearth is great, but really bought this because of the specs.

[​IMG]

It's an alder body with a quilted maple top, transparent black finish. It's pretty dark, you probably wouldn't notice the quilt unless you held it up to light.

Bridge is a floating Floyd-1000 unit. No complaints. One push-pull volume pot for the Fishman Fluence voicing switch, no tone. 3 way toggle.

[​IMG]

The neck is ESP's "thin U" shape made from 5 pieces of maple + thin strips of walnut. Neck-thru body construction. Very slim neck, noticeably slimmer than my 90's Ibanez RG7620 (which has a great neck BTW). The gloss paint on the body transitions to satin on the neck. Feels great.

The body is super thin, so they routed the output jack through on the backside. Even with the thinness, however, this isn't a particularly light guitar.

[​IMG]

They even throw in some quilt on the headstock, and the LTD logo is the cool block letter variety.

[​IMG]

Buz's sig on the backside if you're into that kind of thing.

[​IMG]

Fretwork - is great! No pointy bits, no buzzing, low action, very shiny and polished on arrival. Ebony board is mildly streaky but I am not about the ebony purity lifestyle. It's a nice board.

Offset dot inlays on the top side only.

[​IMG]

I added Dimarzio strap locks, and I swapped the OEM Stephen Carpenter Fluence set for Moderns. The SRC pickups were bananas, didn't really jive with me. The moderns are much more agreeable to my ears.

Overall, this is a highly decent import, and I probably play it the most out of my guitars at the moment. It sounds great, it's comfy, and it plays super easy. I haven't found any blemishes or evidence of bad QC, and I've had it for probably 8 months.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Unearth rip. Congrats on the ngd. I would love to try kens sig.

3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I'm happy to see someone finally buy one of these, HNGD! I've been eyeing these for a while now because of the specs being so perfect, but I've seen no one post about it anywhere.

4. budda

OP is the KS neck thicker?

5. bloodocean

The ESP website specs list “thin u” for both, I’d guess they’re identical. Haven’t held a KS to confirm however.

6. bloodocean

Actually that’s wrong. My BUZ-7 is “extra thin flat” and Ken’s is “thin u”. So guessing KS has a bit more meat on it.

budda likes this.
  7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

super cool buy!

Wow, I never knew this model had the output jack in that location, i've never seen one in that position before. Is it weird or uncomfortable there do you find?

Congrats!

8. bloodocean

It’s a little weird. I have to strap on the guitar, then plug in. Otherwise I’ll usually have the cable on the wrong side of the strap and it gets tweaked.

Used to it now, no issues.

That’s definitely the weirdest aspect of this guitar.

zenonshandro and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

Never seen one of these in real life - very cool! It's interesting how they've done the paint job on the body, where it joins the neck, with that angle. Looks great! How are the pickups on that?

10. budda

Many thanks. Been ages since I held a LTD 7, but the MH1000 I had was super fun.

11. bloodocean

The Fluence Modern set sounds like:
    Voice 1 - similar to an EMG 81-85 set, but with more high mids + presence. Very loud and gainy output, noticeably more than an EMG set.
    Voice 2 - more of a passive sound, more low mids, and some of the presence / sizzle is dialed back. A bit less gain, more articulate as a result. I use this voice the most these days.

The guitar came with the Stephen Carpenter Fluence set, which I did not get along with. Voice 1 was kind of obnoxious, with even more high mids. Kind of a mess. Voice 2 was very bass heavy and too sludgy for me.

12. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Polylinker

Nice! I've been debating on getting this specific guitar or another 7 string Schecter but I'm leaning towards this one.

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Damn nice

Odd jack placement though

14. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

15. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Nice. The specs are good are in these, suprised there aren’t more out in the wild. I almost nabbed a used one a few months back. But decided to save fir a kiesel. HNGD.

16. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

Unearth is so good. Guitar looks great, man.

17. Sklubby

Sklubby SS.org Regular

I almost bought this guitar a little over a year ago but I was put off by the location of the switch selector. Its seemed too far away for me and could potentially become problematic switching between pickups.
    And yes Unearth rules! They deserve way more appreciation!

zenonshandro likes this.
  18. zenonshandro

zenonshandro SS.org Regular

I suppose if you wanted to, you could switch the location of the push/pull knob with the pickup selector switch?

Also very specific question: Are the side-dot Inlays on the fretboard real mother of pearl?

19. Zanmato86

Zanmato86 SS.org Regular

Ive tried both these guitars (KS7 and Buz 7). The buz guitar has a much more Ibanez like neck very flat at a point. Whereas the Ken Susi is the traditional esp type neck. The silver one has an unfinished maple neck. It is a great guitar.
    I personally didn't jive with the Buz neck but it is also a great guitar if it suits you.

zenonshandro likes this.
  20. bloodocean

E6E478D3-10DC-4112-8AE4-CB837354F1ED.jpeg
    The dots on the binding on the actual side look like plain old white plastic.

The fretboard Inlays look like MoP.

zenonshandro likes this.