OGD- 1966 Gibson ES330

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by WhiskeyPickleJake, Jun 25, 2016.

1. WhiskeyPickleJake

WhiskeyPickleJake SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one has a very long story which I'll keep short. My dad acquired this sometime in the 70's or 80's. He gigged with it, moved around with it, and loved it for 30ish years. Before he died, I even got to play it with him twice as he told me about the crazy times he had over the years playing shows which was awesome. People had offered him more than it was worth a few times and he had a real connection with this particular guitar so he never gave it up.

At some point the original single coil pickups were replaced with what I presume to be the humbuckers out of an ES335 from the same era. The tuners were also swapped for Gotoh. It is otherwise unmodified and in decent shape for a 50 year old guitar.

I've never felt a neck and fretboard like it. Maybe because I tend to play contemporary rock guitars: Ibanez, Les Paul, Charvel, PRS, ESP, and more Ibanez. Maybe there really is something unique about this particular guitar. I don't know, but the neck feels so small in every dimension it surprises me every time I pick it up. You'd expect a vintage hollow body to have a big, wide, thick C shaped neck but this is so petite. Despite discolored old frets, your fingers just glide around the board effortlessly.

I'll stop for now and maybe do a more in depth look if anyone wants to hear about it.

C/N- vintage guitars really do have a soul all their own.

[​IMG]

2. Dodeejeroo

Dodeejeroo SS.org Regular

I work with a guy who does tech work for local guitar shop on the side and he's been around a while, he told me that these old Gibson hollows are known for the "pencil neck" as he calls them. They've fattened up the modern ones.
    Very nice looking guitar man, and a cool back story to boot.

3. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

Very beautifull guitar.... and i have another question: where can i buy such wall mount for guitars?

4. WhiskeyPickleJake

WhiskeyPickleJake SS.org Regular

Thanks guys.

The wall mount is from String Swing. Seems great so far.

5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Make sure your wall hanger is not eating up nitro finishes, that could damage your guitar. Lots of those use rubbers that react chemically with nitro.