OFR tremolo problems with new Schecter Hellraiser C7 FRS

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by gswartz, Oct 14, 2020.

1. gswartz

gswartz SS.org Regular

In the past I've only had Ibanez guitars with lo edge pro trems and loved them. This time I thought I'd take a risk and ordered the Hellraiser C7 from sweetwater. The guitar is great except for the floyd rose 1000 trem on it. The springs creak when using it, it takes a lot of pressure to press it down and when you release it it doesn't come back into tune. Pressing down and releasing leaves the strings flat... raising it and releasing leaves them sharp. The lo edge pro have been the complete opposite for me, being noiseless, needing a light touch and always coming back into tune properly.

So, I reached out to Schecter and rather than try to help me troubleshoot, they just told me to return it to the dealer. I've googled and read alot about the tuning issue and the most common suggestion is to use chapstick on the posts and edge. But this thing is brand new. I feel like it shouldn't need that right out of the box... but I also don't just want to send it back. I guess I'll try the chapstick next time I change the strings. Does anyone have any other ideas? Also, any suggestions on better springs that won't make noise and might allow it to move more freely than it does?

Or, does anyone know if I'd be able to just swap out a lo edge pro 7 bridge in place of the floyd? Thanks.

2. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

A few questions and some options:
    1- Is the trem set up correctly?
    2- What configuration are the springs in?

Couple of options:
    1- Replace the springs with something better
    2- Return it

Lo-Pro and Edge pro are not drop in replacements for a Floyd and I wouldn't recommend something so expensive as getting them fitted if the guitar isn't right in the first place.

3. Muzz

Muzz SS.org Regular

==> down and release = flat, raise and release = sharp probably means your knife edges are munted :(

4. gswartz

gswartz SS.org Regular

1. Yes, it's set up correctly.
    2. One on each side, one in the center.
    3. Any suggestions on better springs?

5. gswartz

gswartz SS.org Regular

munted?

tedtan likes this.
  6. Muzz

Muzz SS.org Regular

Not in good condition at all. Sorry mate :(

7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Even if it's new, they're moving parts in contact with one another, so try lubricating them (even a new car needs oil in the engine, transmission, differentials, etc.).

If that doesn't work, you may need to "sharpen" the knife edges on the trem or replace the posts.

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  8. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Humm i had something like this a few years ago with a FR special, turns out the posts bushing had been set together about 0.5mm to tight and the top of the post heads where binding of the out edges of the saddles, Check to see if you have any contact on the outside of the low b and high e saddles, i fix mine by grinding off about 0.5 mm or so from the post heads.

btw Got any pic's in case we can spot anything else that might be out of place ?

also check to see there's no leaning of the posts/bushing might be they have a slight movement that's throwing things out for you.

9. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Pics would help a great deal

10. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Are the strings stretched?

park0496 likes this.
  11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I had no issues with mine. Did you replace the strings when you got the guitar? The old strings could be the problem. Try the chap stick thing, make sure everything is well tightened but don't over tighten like crazy either. My C7 would stay in tune forever