Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Bro it’s like finished lmao.

narad and Randy like this.
  2. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Admittedly I'm very much behind the times :scratch:

Blytheryn likes this.
  3. Nrf1967

Nrf1967 SS.org Regular

What's the general situation for those waiting 5+ years at the moment? I've seen the recent photos of builds in this discussion and it's great to see those progressing, but I've heard nothing since last April when Dylan said things were good and he would send photos soon. I've just sent him an email to ask how things are going but wondering if others have been getting news of their guitars or not?

4. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I wonder when he has put down his deposit. ;)

5. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

edit: double post

6. Blytheryn

I put down my commission in January of 2015, and my build is coming back from the lacquerer imminently.

Nrf1967 likes this.
  7. Blytheryn

Beats me.

ikarus likes this.
  8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Endorsements don't go into the standard queue. It wouldn't make sense.

Flappydoodle and 2liveis2die35 like this.
  9. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Yes I know, I just think its a punch in the face of everyone who is waiting more then half a decade.

Flappydoodle and Blytheryn like this.
  10. Leaviathan

Leaviathan SS.org Regular

I like the Goat Blood Dominus

Blytheryn likes this.
  11. narad

Eh, it's the business. I'd find it weird if he didn't endorse or collaborate with any artists for the next 5+ years just because the build queue is that long.

Blytheryn likes this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you want your build to actually happen, the company is going to need to be around, and part of that is staying relevant and building relationships with artists.

Just like when builders throw some in stocks up for sale, gotta have cash flow to keep the lights on.

What folks have to understand is that a couple artist or in stock builds aren't what's holding up the line significantly. Building guitars doesn't work that way. Especially not highly bespoke ones like Dylan is known for.

This isn't Bernie Rico Jr. blowing the wood shop guys' pay on drugs or Mike Sherman just not deciding he feels like making your guitar because you were mean to him on the internet.

Not to mention it's healthy for builders to work on fulfilling projects, especially creative types. I know no one really cares about that, but it's pretty significant if you're buying from a one man operation. If you wanted a generic metal guitar extruded by a faceless custom shop, just buy an ESP. But, folks wanted something special and special things take special people in a special mindset.

I'm usually extremely critical of builders, especially ones who don't have their shit together, you guys know that. But this is one of the few cases where it seems that the builder might just dig himself out and he seems to be trying to do right.

13. Blytheryn

Meh, it is what it is, I’ll still get a guitar.

14. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

Indeed, Dylan is a very unique case and things seem to move to right direction, however people knowing it takes 7 years to get a guitar, will be tough to trust and order. Hopefully by not taking custom orders any more will help things speed up after this final batch.

15. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike Contributor

[QUOTE="MaxOfMetal, post: 5364703, member: 9878"or Mike Sherman just not deciding he feels like making your guitar because you were mean to him on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Is this an actual thing? I must know

16. MaxOfMetal

Unfortunately, yes.

17. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Tell that to Jackson circa 2003. Maybe you could've saved them from losing one of the largest endorsees of the last 20 years :lol:

I do get the frustration, though. Some builds are already very overdue and, unlike in-stock sales, endorsee builds likely don't bring as much capital for the shop. Then add the fact that Dylan already has a lot of exposure (more than he can handle with his current capacity, really) and I can see why some would scratch their heads.

The key is that it's not really a business decision and Dylan has consistently shown he likes to support the metal community and its artists. To be honest, who even knows how many artists are already in a "queue" of sorts where Dylan discussed making a guitar for them or thought he might like to. Sometimes that can take years for the stars to align, too.

18. narad

Apples to oranges. Plenty of bands start, rise, and break-up within the span of Dylan's build queue length, so what is the point of endorsing someone at an important step of their career just to deliver the guitar to someone who is not even in an active band. I don't think people should take on build queues that long (at least, with deposits) but if you do, this is an obvious practical implication of how you have to handle endorsements.

Then switch over to Jackson, who's pumped out plenty of endorsement guitars in the past couple of years to guys who have signed with them just in that period. I don't know what to think about Jackson CS wait times since they basically don't exist to the average guy anymore, but I don't think Brandon Ellis was waiting years for that crackle Kelly.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

Small builders don't use endorsees the same way big companies do. It's not like anyone is going to "discover" or "be reminded" that Jackson or Schecter exist, but the little guys do. If for nothing to just remind people they exist and are still active.

Look at KxK, Rob has been back at it for awhile, but you wouldn't know it because almost all of his builds now are quietly sold to regular Joes to no fanfare.

JimF and 2liveis2die35 like this.
  20. narad

Ah, I didn't realize he was still at it. Guys could at least post some NGDs!