Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Almost seems a bit Moser-inspired. Not my cup of tea these days, but the extra sculpting is definitely a cool feature.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

it's a jackson extreme warrior clone

3. Sermo Lupi

Ah, hadn't realised Jackson ever did an extreme Warrior. I remember the Kelly and RR variants.

4. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Damn seeing this stuff almost makes me wish Dylan didn’t have his issues in terms of workflow/new orders etc…who’s even closest to him at this point? I feel like maybe Radical Instrument Products?

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Probably but RIP keeps it pretty close to the 80s inspirations. Dylan is definitely straddling the 80s world and the boutique world.

jco5055 likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't follow small builders like I did a decade or so ago, but I genuinely don't think that anyone is really doing what Dylan does.

The level of bespoke design, quality of artistry, shapes, themes, etc. it's all a very specific package.

Plenty of shops can get close, especially if they're open to farming out elements like design, inlay, and artwork, but I'm not sure if that really counts.

I have no doubt if you have the money, relationship/"in", and are willing and able to micro manage, a shop like ESP or Jackson could do this stuff, but those a BIG ifs.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Yep. Other guys are doing equally as cool "metal" stuff, but there's a verrry small handful of guys I've seen that come close in terms of artwork/inlays, most of whom do high end acoustic work.

Lorcan Ward and jco5055 like this.
  8. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

Kiiras instruments can produce some really nice designs too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  9. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

his are nice, but aesthetically there’s just something about all his models that doesn’t quite do it for me…all just personal preference

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

There’s just a little something that’s off with them, isn’t there? It’s like theres 5% Fischer-Price in the design or something…

jco5055 likes this.
  11. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I think it's the "beaten and worn" stuff. Depending on the build it will kick ass or look completely tacky. The matchy-matchy of parts is a tad overkill. But I'm really nit picking because they look cool (without pickup rings; you deserve a flogging if you order those), especially the extreme shapes, Vs, and Explorers. 2100 Euros spec'd out with a floyd/hum/slime green top? I'd order one of those over a CS BC Rich or Jackson any day of the week right now.

Blytheryn and jco5055 like this.
  12. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Very well put!

13. Sermo Lupi

What makes Dylan's work rare is that he's simultaneously an excellent artist and an excellent luthier. In my opinion his artwork is undervalued relative to his prices. It's also executed with a vision that does most of the conceptual heavy lifting for his clients. In that sense he's irreplaceable as a one-stop-shop.

You could absolutely create a Daemoness-like guitar by partnering an artist-luthier tandem, though. It wouldn't necessarily be hard to do, just expensive. If you could get a comparable guitar for $3k, I'd budget at least $2k for the artwork if it's of comparable quality and detail. Then there the logistics of shipping the guitar from the luthier to the artist and back.

Of course, there's benefits to doing it that way as well. You have more selection in terms of luthiers and artists. There's less bottlenecking. The wait may not be as long, and the quality could potentially be higher (depending on how much money/time you dump into the art).

I'm not sure if I've posted this before but, a few years back, Mark Tremonti had PRS send a guitar to be painted by Joe Fenton, the acclaimed British artist/designer. This would be an extreme example of what I'm talking about, as I'm sure that guitar cost an arm and a leg, but anyone could do this kind of thing in theory.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I agree, Kiiras has a different approach with the worn style which can be really nice, however i understand it is not for everyone, the same way some of Dylan's creations like the guts guitar or some other really tacky ones are not for everyone either. I think it is a great value for money in any case.

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I mean the difference there is someone wanted that theme and the guitar was specced/built around the ideas given to Dylan. I just took a look at Kiiras, and they look solidly made but I'm not sure where the comparison comes in, you can't get a similar product from them.

16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I've just learned of Kiiras. That black SG on their page at the bottom of the LP/SG page is sick. It's black and 24 frets. Check it out @BlackSG91, I don't think Sg's get much better than this. Kiiras Black SG.jpg

I know it's a Daemoness thread but this this is sick.

narad likes this.
  17. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

some builds are similar, for example the more standard, flamed stuff, which are amazing on both sides. Then i guess Kiiras offers way more on the worn style or medieval themes and nice custom inlays but not as complex as Dylan's while Dylan will offer nice concepts and very complex artwork and inlays, where some are amazing and some are super tacky, especially the ones that are like comic style drawings on the body, they look awful, at least to me. I m more of a fan of guitars like the vlad tepes or the phoenix.

18. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Good vibes, and I'd feel good about ordering a viking driftwood guitar from Scandinavia. That said, because that's also an aesthetic used on a bunch of low-end guitars (like the pro-series Dave Davidson), it just doesn't seem that wow. It's cool, but yea, I don't see really any basis for comparison with Daemoness.

This is really cool though:
    [​IMG]
    I guess the generally satin vibe of his instruments turns me off (could have posted in the "What screams cheap to you?" thread), the headstock is a bit generic, and the logo is a bit in-your-face and reminds me of Halo. But the body and custom floyd here are really cool.

Yea, but those guys wanted the comic style drawings. I think that's the point -- basically whatever you want, Dylan gives it a good try and the results are often exceeding expectations. If you want a driftwood style guitar, you can go to Kiiras, in the same way that if you wanted a fancy quilt top you can go to PRS, or if you wanted a busty girl at the beach you could go to BC Rich in the late 80s. But Dylan can basically do all of these things and more, and better, because he's a skilled artist and uses a variety of mediums.

Samark and c7spheres like this.
  19. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'd probably change the pickup ring on the SG and I can always do without the logo's, but there should be more 24 fret SG's and Lp's imo.
    That other one should be called Sith Rhodes. I like it, minus the logo. That logo reminds me of the City of Phoenix logo a little, or a Tie Fighter.

20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It reminds me of the "angry"/"bat" Mazda logo:
    Screenshot_20210918-220350_Gallery.jpg

c7spheres likes this.